Jets sign George Fant

J_E_T_$

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

No, WTF. lol 

It's traditional now. People on here say we need to build through the draft during the season, then get mad when we don't sign everyone in the first 24hrs of FA. 

Lol this is definitely true. The thread yesterday was pretty funny. I’ve decided I’m going to wait until September when they are actually losing the games to get mad.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Lol this is definitely true. The thread yesterday was pretty funny. I’ve decided I’m going to wait until September when they are actually losing the games to get mad.

lol Yeah, the TV show I work on just shut down for the season. So my silver lining is to watch the two-day meltdown.  Trades can still happen, 2 more waves of free agency, and in a great draft position. I'm not worried building long term wise. But I scratched this year off because I still don't believe in Gase. 

7 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

lol Yeah, the TV show I work on just shut down for the season. So my silver lining is to watch the two-day meltdown.  Trades can still happen, 2 more waves of free agency, and in a great draft position. I'm not worried building long term wise. But I scratched this year off because I still don't believe in Gase. 

Same. I have almost no expectations for an Adam Gase lead team. Hope he can prove me wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

Same. I have almost no expectations for an Adam Gase lead team. Hope he can prove me wrong.

I would love for him to prove me wrong. it would make a great story and we won't have to wonder if we could beat an XFL team anymore. I just want JD to get the best players he can get that fits the identity he wants the team to have. 

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Appreciated. First, while I respect the data presented, lets first keep in mind that its tremendously outdated. The criteria is based on a pretty narrow sample (2004-2014) and doesn't truly reflect the changes we've seen over the past 10 years given how it's become a far more spread out, pass heavy game. Second, I didn't really like how they grouped together "OL" as one group, but the numbers point to it being the safest position in rounds 1-3 in their sample. I think that's accurate, but not for all lineman - it's much more popular to find successful Gs/Cs in rounds 2-3 than it is tackle. Tackle is very much a top 40 position group historically, and I'd be happy to pull that data to share. But in focusing on their article, here are some key takeaways: 

• The first round has an 83% success rate. The second round is almost as good with 70%.
  • You are just as likely to have the same amount of success selecting a WR in the first or second round (drop off is only 9%). 
  • The third round has the second highest number of receivers drafted with 52 but only a 25% success rate.
  • The fifth round actually has a higher success rate (16%) than the fourth round (12%). The sixth is at 9% and the seventh is 5%.

Next, a few of their statistics. It's pretty much saying that WR is one of the riskiest positions to draft among any round, which I do think is accurate in most drafts. It's not a safe position by any means. The 3rd round success rate has gone up substantially over the past 5-10 years. It's hard to define what "success" is, but here is the list of 3rd round picks in the last 10 drafts and I'll let everyone debate who is a "success" vs. "failure". My count: 15-18 players turned out to be "successful" top 3 receivers, which is 36.67 percent - a substantial 10% increase over the data from that article. 

Diontae Johnson Steelers Toledo
Jalen Hurd 49ers Baylor
Terry McLaurin Redskins Ohio State
Miles Boykin Ravens Notre Dame
Michael Gallup Cowboys Colorado State
Tre'Quan Smith Saints Central Florida
Cooper Kupp Rams Eastern Washington
Taywan Taylor Titans Western Kentucky
ArDarius Stewart Jets Alabama
Carlos Henderson Broncos Louisiana Tech
Chris Godwin Buccaneers Penn State
Kenny Golladay Lions Northern Illinois
Chad Williams Cardinals Grambling State
Amara Darboh Seahawks Michigan
Braxton Miller Texans Ohio State
Leonte Carroo Dolphins Rutgers
Tyler Lockett Seahawks Kansas State
Jaelen Strong Texans Arizona State
Chris Conley Chiefs Georgia
Sammie Coates Steelers Auburn
Ty Montgomery Packers Stanford
Josh Huff Eagles Oregon
Donte Moncrief Colts Mississippi
John Brown Cardinals Pittsburg State (KS)
Terrance Williams Cowboys Baylor
Keenan Allen Chargers California
Marquise Goodwin Bills Texas
Markus Wheaton Steelers Oregon State
Stedman Bailey Rams West Virginia
Devier Posey Texans Ohio State
T.J. Graham Bills North Carolina State
Mohamed Sanu Bengals Rutgers
T.Y. Hilton Colts Florida International
Austin Pettis Rams Boise State
Leonard Hankerson Redskins Miami (FL)
Vincent Brown Chargers San Diego State
Jerrel Jernigan Giants Troy
Damian Williams Titans USC
Brandon LaFell Panthers Louisiana State
Emmanuel Sanders Steelers Southern Methodist
Jordan Shipley Bengals Texas
Eric Decker Broncos Minnesota
Andre Roberts Cardinals Citadel
Armanti Edwards Panthers Appalachian State
Taylor Price Patriots Ohio

As far as the 4th round, there's definitely a drop off (as there is for every position). You have a lot of guys that haven't truly developed yet, but a few of these guys are promising (i.e. DaeSean Hamilton). Either way, it looks like a significant drop to somewhere around 10%. 

Hakeem Butler Cardinals Iowa State
Gary Jennings Jr. Seahawks West Virginia
Riley Ridley Bears Georgia
Keke Coutee Texans Texas Tech
Antonio Callaway Browns Florida
DaeSean Hamilton Broncos Penn State
Jaleel Scott Ravens New Mexico State
J'Mon Moore Packers Missouri
Dede Westbrook Jaguars Oklahoma
Josh Reynolds Rams Texas A&M
Mack Hollins Eagles North Carolina
Josh Malone Bengals Tennessee
Ryan Switzer Cowboys North Carolina
Jehu Chesson Chiefs Michigan
Chad Hansen Jets California
Chris Moore Ravens Cincinnati
Malcolm Mitchell Patriots Georgia
Ricardo Louis Browns Auburn
Pharoh Cooper Rams South Carolina
Demarcus Robinson Chiefs Florida
Jamison Crowder Redskins Duke
Justin Hardy Falcons East Carolina
Vince Mayle Browns Washington State
DeAndre Smelter 49ers Georgia Tech
Jalen Saunders Jets Oklahoma
Bruce Ellington 49ers South Carolina
Shaq Evans Jets UCLA
Martavis Bryant Steelers Clemson
Kevin Norwood Seahawks Alabama
Ace Sanders Jaguars South Carolina
Josh Boyce Patriots Texas Christian
Chris Harper Seahawks Kansas State
Quinton Patton 49ers Louisiana Tech
Chris Givens Rams Wake Forest
Travis Benjamin Browns Miami (FL)
Joe Adams Panthers Arkansas
Devon Wylie Chiefs Fresno State
Jarius Wright Vikings Arkansas
Keshawn Martin Texans Michigan State
Nick Toon Saints Wisconsin
Greg Childs Vikings Arkansas
Kris Durham Seahawks Georgia
Edmond Gates Dolphins Abilene Christian
Greg Salas Rams Hawaii
Cecil Shorts Jaguars Mount Union
Tandon Doss Ravens Indiana
Mardy Gilyard Rams Cincinnati
Mike Williams Buccaneers Syracuse
Marcus Easley Bills Connecticut
Jacoby Ford Raiders Clemson

The one thing I'll say about 4th round receivers and the aspect one needs to be emphasized: this class is unprecedentedly deep. You've read plenty of the most respected analysts who have wrote about how they have 25-30 receivers with top 3 round grades. To put that into context: 28 receivers get DRAFTED on average per season. So yes, while there is traditionally a drop off, that drop off will not occur this year. Chances are, you're getting a 2nd round rated receiver in the 3rd and a 3rd round rated receiver in the 4th. It's that deep. Which is why I'm a huge advocate of drafting 3: one in the 2nd, one in the 3rd/4th, and one in the 4th/5th. 

I can go deeper into this, and I will perform a fuller study when free agency is over, but the bottom line is that drafting receivers is risky no matter what round, but it should be less risky this year. Chances are, the Jets should come away with a good player in Round 2 if they go that route, and they should be in good shape if they double dip. Worst case scenario: one doesn't pan out and one does. 

So if WR is a risky position to draft in mid rounds it’d be safe to assume that there’s a bigger risk with thinking that’s ok to surround Darnold with right? This all assuming we even use these picks on WR. We very well could go OL, CB, Edge in Round 2 keep in mind. It shouldn’t just be assumed we will draft a Wr there

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So if WR is a risky position to draft in mid rounds it’d be safe to assume that there’s a bigger risk with thinking that’s ok to surround Darnold with right? This all assuming we even use these picks on WR. We very well could go OL, CB, Edge in Round 2 keep in mind. It shouldn’t just be assumed we will draft a Wr there

If Jerry Jeudy, is there at 11 when we pick, it would be a crime not to take him.  

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes in fact it is OK. Sam did fine with what he had this year. He's going through his natural progressions. What's more important to address the OL, take risks on WR in the 2-5th rounds, and if they don't pan out return to the market next year. Again, history shows that OL > WR. The passing game is going to run through Crowder/Herndon/Bell - regardless if we draft a WR in round 1 or not. Bringing back Robby would be a very prudent move if the money is right, but no need to sweat if they can't. 

Address the OL first. Take some shots at WR. If that doesn't bear fruit, you enter 2021 in a better position to invest in the position whether it be via trade, free agency, or in the first round of the draft. Take advantage of how deep the talent pool is this year. Waste of resources using a 1st round pick in the most top heavy T class in the past decade and the deepest WR class ever. 

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The thought process was we’d improve the OL and edge making it to where we can use our picks on WRs. Good WRs. Not mid round guys. I’ve given the example of the fall off of deep WR classes after the 1st couple rounds. Look at the Watkins, OBJ draft class after Rounds 1 and 2.

What FA OL presents better upside than Wirfs, Willis, Bechton or Thomas?  None.  We were never drafting a WR at 11 - always going to be one of those guys. 

It strange how we sign Fant, & the Seahawks sign Schell, each got about the same money for signing they both got 10 million. That is crazy for two guys who are second  tier players. And it wasn't a trade. To me that was a waste of cap money

Edited by doumeyer

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

It strange how we sign Fant, & the Seahawks sign Schell, each got about the same money for signing they both got 10 million. That is crazy for two guys who are second  tier players. And it wasn't a trade. To me that was a waste of cap money

I'm trying to understand what you're getting at, but I'm assuming you're referencing finances. This is the NFL now. I remember when Ryan Fitzpatrick's one year, $12 million contract was considered a lot. Now, that deal would be $20 million. It's all part of the inflation. What's important to note is the Jets took a calculated risk; they're signing a guy to a 1 year, $9.25 million deal with two options attached. Shell's deal is probably similarly structured yet cheaper. 

The Jets got a guy that fits what they want to do, and Seattle got a guy who fits what they want to do. 

I think Fant will be good in NY, I think Shell will be good in SEA.