Redskins sign Kendall Fuller 4 years/40mil

ARTMONK HOF

47 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I don’t really get it. 

Cap-wise, it’s heavily backloaded. So it’s $4M this year, $13M next year, and $11M the last two years. 

In other words, this year — when we’re going to be bad and have loads cap room we’re never going to touch — they keep the cost almost artificially low. But as time goes on, and we’re getting to the point that we’re hoping to be good — and thus retaining and loading up on perhaps more expensive talent — the costs are much higher. 

I know they can carry the cap space over and what have you, but it just seems like an odd structure. It’s the traditional contract structure, but we’re in a place where unorthodox makes more sense. Maybe they’re just tired of getting burned by players who get paid big up front and then want more money by the end??

• Like 3

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

I don’t really get it. 

Cap-wise, it’s heavily backloaded. So it’s $4M this year, $13M next year, and $11M the last two years. 

In other words, this year — when we’re going to be bad and have loads cap room we’re never going to touch — they keep the cost almost artificially low. But as time goes on, and we’re getting to the point that we’re hoping to be good — and thus retaining and loading up on perhaps more expensive talent — the costs are much higher. 

I know they can carry the cap space over and what have you, but it just seems like an odd structure. It’s the traditional contract structure, but we’re in a place where unorthodox makes more sense. Maybe they’re just tired of getting burned by players who get paid big up front and then want more money by the end??

They did the same for Landon Collins last off-season if you recall.  Artificially low for him sounds like a good descriptor now that we've seen this one.  

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 2:29 AM, e16bball said:

I don’t really get it. 

If I'm a player this works for me. I get the money I'm worth at the point I'm signing this deal consistently going forward. I don't live up to it, More than likely I'm cut. 

Dunbar for sure right now is worth more than what he signed for at the point of signing. I have no problem with him asking for a increase with 1 year remaining. Just like I have no problem with them releasing Josh Norman when his play didn't match what they would've paid him had he not been released. We also see Buffalo agreed, signing him to about 7-9 million less than what he would've made here.

Dunbar case is different. What will Seattle or another team offer him once he hits Free Agency? We don't know yet but I for sure would pay him 8-9 million at this point for 1 year. So this is where I disagree with Rivera just trading Dunbar before tryna see if "Business" could be done. In your "Culture Change" this is how you handle "Business" Rivera?

On 3/28/2020 at 2:29 AM, e16bball said:

I don’t really get it. 

Next year Alex Smith's contract comes off the books right? Or is that 2022? Either way, that's the only explanation I have for it. Plus, aren’t almost all long term deals structured this way nowadays? The first year is generally low on the cap and then it ramps in the 2nd year of the deal.

Totally looks normal to me.

9 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

After letting this settle in, I said somewhere we'd have one overpay in free agency . This seems to be it . He's a good SOLID player . but $40 mill ? I don't think he'll live up to the contract .

2021 is the only killer year with a 13M cap hit.  Weird though that we didn't take more of a hit this year considering we seem to be hording cap space this year.

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

2021 is the only killer year with a 13M cap hit.  Weird though that we didn't take more of a hit this year considering we seem to be hording cap space this year.

Next year in free agency could be a lot of changes depending on what happens with this roster and what these young players/the few free agents they took a chances on this year. 

I'd rather go big in free agency next year - hoard that cap space - after Ron gets a year to evaluate the roster rather then this year when the team was probably going to have a top 10 pick no matter what they did in FA.

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Next year in free agency could be a lot of changes depending on what happens with this roster and what these young players/the few free agents they took a chances on this year. 

I'd rather go big in free agency next year - hoard that cap space - after Ron gets a year to evaluate the roster rather then this year when the team was probably going to have a top 10 pick no matter what they did in FA.

We won't have a choice next year.  With Rivera not making many long term investments this year, we are going to have to spend like mad to keep our own and the stop gaps he signed + new players too.

It is a bit odd to make next year such a big hit for his contract when we have so much cap space this year.

29 minutes ago, offbyone said:

We won't have a choice next year.  With Rivera not making many long term investments this year, we are going to have to spend like mad to keep our own and the stop gaps he signed + new players too.

It is a bit odd to make next year such a big hit for his contract when we have so much cap space this year.

You figure 7-10 players come onto a team from the draft every year when you factor in UDFA as well.  So by the time 2021 rolls around, we will have 14-20 new players on the roster from the draft alone.  These one year stop-gap free agents don't mean much in the long-term scheme of things.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

You figure 7-10 players come onto a team from the draft every year when you factor in UDFA as well.  So by the time 2021 rolls around, we will have 14-20 new players on the roster from the draft alone.  These one year stop-gap free agents don't mean much in the long-term scheme of things.  

One year stop gap ? You mean Fuller ? Are you saying the contract gets us off the hook after 1 year ?

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I love your faith in us hitting on 7+ players per draft!

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

Again, we just don’t know though. They’re trying to see what happens with the young talent on the team now and what they’ll add in the draft.

Having to pay to keep our own - if they’ve earned is always worth it and the best way to build a team. I like the approach to see what happens with that. 

I like the young talent on this team, add Chase, a young TE, another young WR and some more young depth in free agency and see what happens with the young crew. I know a lot of us think 5-11 but who knows if this young talent comes together and develops then they may shock us all and be competing for a playoff spot. 

That will only happen if we are more healthy then we’ve been the past several years w/ guys like Guice and obviously if Haskins, Terry, Steven Sims Jr, Harmon, one of these TEs and our young D players continue the trajectory they were on towards the end of last year.

We will have been more cap space next year though to pay Kendall. Me personally I think it’s a bit of a nothingberger.