The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

I get that you’re good at finding negative plays against a prospect you don’t like congrats 

Just providing more examples since you claim I'm exaggerating.  My other response before that got paged.  Do I need to re-post that one too?

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

At this point, I'd rather sign Hankins and draft James or Davenport. 

Or trade back and pick up a 2nd. We also need a G and WR and the extra 2nd could help

Honestly I’m with you. I love Payne but I can’t help but feel we’re going to miss out on a really talented player if we draft for need. James Fitz Smith Davenport Guice even Bryan who has freakish DE ability just seem like a better value at this point. I want a stud NT but I think we can get a heck of a player there in the draft without passing up a first class talent!!

3 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

A season worth of tape is worth more to me than a bowl game.  So many people are giving into recency bias.  It's ridiculous.  I hope the Redskins FO isn't so short-sighted.

You just asked to see film of Vea getting abused and Payne looking like Vea. Again you have to understand their assignments in situations. When Payne’s allowed to shoot and attack he does just as well as Vea. Payne is asked to do a lot of slides and simply occupy double teams so his backers and DE’s can stunt through a space because he’s occupying a blocker where they are shooting. Also I’ve said a lot and as you pointed out Payne getting beat by Ragnew who is a beast I love that guy, Ragnew is a top tier Interior linemen. Payne plays them week in and week out and will continue that in the NFL.

Vea when against teams like Penn St and teams with NFL caliber players does the same thing you showed Payne getting beaten like. At the end of the day a NT is going to get beat. They eat blocks it’s what they do theyget teamed and they will look bad every one even Vince Wilfork. I just spent so much time on DT’s and like Payne. But the closer the draft gets the more I think if these QB’s really do go like they are supposed to I don’t see how we can warrant picking NT with blue chip players that will fall that when I was comfortable drafting a DT I never imagined these guys being avalible.

33 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Just providing more examples since you claim I'm exaggerating.  My other response before that got paged.  Do I need to re-post that one too?

No I get the point that he’s not perfect, I never claimed he was. How far apart he and Vea are as prospects is debatable IMO.

3 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

You just asked to see film of Vea getting abused and Payne looking like Vea. Again you have to understand their assignments in situations. When Payne’s allowed to shoot and attack he does just as well as Vea. Payne is asked to do a lot of slides and simply occupy double teams so his backers and DE’s can stunt through a space because he’s occupying a blocker where they are shooting. Also I’ve said a lot and as you pointed out Payne getting beat by Ragnew who is a beast I love that guy, Ragnew is a top tier Interior linemen. Payne plays them week in and week out and will continue that in the NFL.

Vea when against teams like Penn St and teams with NFL caliber players does the same thing you showed Payne getting beaten like. At the end of the day a NT is going to get beat. They eat blocks it’s what they do theyget teamed and they will look bad every one even Vince Wilfork. I just spent so much time on DT’s and like Payne. But the closer the draft gets the more I think if these QB’s really do go like they are supposed to I don’t see how we can warrant picking NT with blue chip players that will fall that when I was comfortable drafting a DT I never imagined these guys being avalible.

You're saying that Vea isn't asked to occupy double teams?

And the point is that all NTs are asked to take on double teams in the run game.  The truly great NTs are the ones who can do so consistently and successfully.  They make everyone around them a lot better by doing so.  From what I have watched, Payne does not do this consistently and effectively.  Vea does.

25 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

We should take the BPA. I’ve always believed that, and I’ve always considered Payne & Vea as peospects that should be in the teens.

Now, if Fitzpatrick, Ward, Edmunds, Smith or James are available when we pick or some assortment of those 5, it would be a tough choice to pass on one of them for Vea or Payne, but this is where if the need matches the grade on players you go with need and IMO the grades are either the same or nearly the same. The biggest need on our team is by far a run stuffing NT and that’s who I’d take.

If we pass on a NT here and won’t pay to get Hankins, we’re likely not going to find a NT who’s better than Hood or Taylor in the draft. I have a feeling that Harrison Phillips will get drafted before our 2nd round selection comes up but I guess Settle won’t, perhaps he’s the guy we take or we take a mid to late round guy like the NC St DTs, Ndai, Joshua Frazier (Bama), Fatukasi (UConn), Lotuliei (Utah),  Senat(USF) Norton (Mia), Lampkin (OU), Richardson (Louisville), McKenzie (TENN), Mack (Tex A&M), etc but again, if we do that I’m not sure they will be starters year one.

1 minute ago, taylor made said:

Here's a pretty bad goal line stand from Vea

Is it?  The RB was running to the left, so he works on shedding a double team to meet the RB on that side.  He loses his balance and has two guys falling on him when he tries to shed, but it was the right move to make because otherwise the RB would have gotten a free run into that gap.  It would have been nice for him to keep his balance, but I'm not really sure what else he could have done in that situation.  He was trying to make the only play he could make.

5 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Is it?  The RB was running to the left, so he works on shedding a double team to meet the RB on that side.  He loses his balance and has two guys falling on him when he tries to shed, but it was the right move to make because otherwise the RB would have gotten a free run into that gap.  It would have been nice for him to keep his balance, but I'm not really sure what else he could have done in that situation.  He was trying to make the only play he could make.

You’re great at coming up with these explanations for Vea but then blame everything on Payne. It shows bias.

6 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Wanna spin the play at 4:26 too?

Just now, turtle28 said:

You’re great at coming up with these explanations for Vea but then blame everything on Payne. It shows bias.

Really man?  Payne is literally getting put on skates in those clips I showed you.  He's getting pushed back 5-10 yards.  Is that what you want out of our NT?

Archived