The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Shelton to me was way more explosive. I also think Payne is a much better prospect than Vea though

I can see that. And certainly wouldn't cry too much over one or the other.

For me, the guy everyone loves who I think will bust is Roquan Smith.

17 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I rarely ever actually see strength when I watch him play. Idk I am completely with Lavar and Knight about Vea I just never saw anything against any real worthy opponent that made me say yeah round 1 top end talent. I know me and knight will never agree about the FS position lol but I don’t see Vea as much better of a player then Settle if you want my honest opinion. In fact I’d take the DT from Florida to play DE in the first over taking Vea I’ll admit it 50 million times if I’m wrong and if he’s our pick I hope I eat it but I don’t see it

As someone that watches UW football. Vea sets the tone up front for that defense. Rarely pushed back, he would immediately clog the center for us. I like Settle as well, but I think he lacks Vea’s athleticism. 

As for adding another 3-4 DE, I think I will pass on anyone, draft or otherwise.

I doubt Settle will be around for our second round pick, but he would be a good alternative if we went a different direction in the first.

I think it’s just a matter of preference for Payne or Vea, but I think Vea suits our needs better.

26 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I can see that. And certainly wouldn't cry too much over one or the other.

For me, the guy everyone loves who I think will bust is Roquan Smith.

Too much Aaron Curry for ya?

I really like Smith. Can cover and play the run. His closing speed is top notch. He diagnosis plays well. 

But Aaron Curry was one of the “safest picks” when he was drafted. I could see the potential for a similar situation here.

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

How is the slot playing him completely out of position?

Because he’s not a slot corner, he’s a natural safety. This is no different than drafting Orakpo and making him a 4-3 OLB. You don’t use the 13th pick in the draft on a slot corner or part time player. If you draft Fitz than he’s starting at safety. 

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Because he’s not a slot corner, he’s a natural safety. This is no different than drafting Orakpo and making him a 4-3 OLB. You don’t use the 13th pick in the draft on a slot corner or part time player. If you draft Fitz than he’s starting at safety. 

Nah, I think he starts at slot CB if he's drafted by us.  Gruden loves Montae, and I don't blame him.  Montae showed a lot of potential last year.  But with him being so injury-prone, and us having no good options at back-up FS, Fitz is perfect to have as an option just in case.  In the meantime, he can man the slot position for us and/or be a swiss army knife around the LOS.

30 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Too much Aaron Curry for ya?

I really like Smith. Can cover and play the run. His closing speed is top notch. He diagnosis plays well. 

But Aaron Curry was one of the “safest picks” when he was drafted. I could see the potential for a similar situation here.

From what I've seen from him, he runs around blocks too much and relies too much on his speed. Sometimes you need to be taking on and beating the blocks. He doesn't do it enough for my taste.

But I could be wrong. Maybe he gets in the right situation and the right coaching and he earns the "Safe" pick.

44 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't know the ratio of Cooley's hits to misses but...

Burgundy Blog‏ @BurgundyBlog 

FWIW, Cooley said it again today: "I know the #Redskins like Da'Ron Payne more than they like Vita Vea."

Probably from first hand knowledge via Jon Allen. Hey, if Payne is the selection, so be it, at least they drafted a NT. I hope him and Jon Allen tear it up. 

14 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Probably from first hand knowledge via Jon Allen. Hey, if Payne is the selection, so be it, at least they drafted a NT. I hope him and Jon Allen tear it up. 

I never saw him as a NT though...

36 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I never saw him as a NT though...

Seriously? Every Alabama game I watched, he was anchoring the middle of the line (when they only used 3 down lineman). I absolutely think if you draft him, he HAS to play NT.

10 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Seriously? Every Alabama game I watched, he was anchoring the middle of the line (when they only used 3 down lineman). I absolutely think if you draft him, he HAS to play NT.

Yeah seriously. With his size and speed, I don't think you're using him properly if you're asking him to just try and clog holes.

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

Yeah seriously. With his size and speed, I don't think you're using him properly if you're asking him to just try and clog holes.

His versatility is why he's a first round pick.  We could use him on pass rushing downs too.  If we want a 2 down run stuffing NT we should take one in the 4th round or later.  

Archived