The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

15 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Not sure if I would use the "level of talent around him" argument here to make your case after a season in which we saw Preston Smith and Matt Ioanidis's (the two guys who lined up next to him) stats dramatically start declining when Jonathan Allen went down with the Lisfranc injury.  Being surrounded by great players should lead to better stats, not worse.  

I agree about your point regarding the level of competition though.  Payne also has a big age advantage over Vea.  Those are the only two things he really has going for him over Vea IMO.  But you're welcome to disagree. 

I’m not talking about Jonathan Allen. Payne played NT, who usually don’t gobble up a lot of stats. I didn’t see Ziggy Hood’s stats dramatically improve for example despite playing next to Jon Allen for a month.

I’m saying that last year Payne had other players on Alabama’s defense who also made a lot of plays around him which can take away from another players stats because everyone on Alabama’s defense is sharing the stats, that wasn’t the case for Vea.

Again, personally I love both prospects and would be floored if we drafted either player. I think we’re splittig hairs when trying to decipher between which one is better. Mainly, my gripe is that I just don’t agree with anyone who has Vea as a top 15 prospect but not Payne as I don’t have one graded greatly above the other one. 

For example, if someone had Vea going to us at 13 but has Payne falling all the way to the 20s or even round 2 and they say it’s because Vea is a much better pass rusher than Payne, I can’t agree with that.

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Exactly, and just because he’s not a big fat guy doesn’t mean he’s not big and strong and able to anchor at NT.

It’s because he’s not a big fat guy that I don’t want him at 0t. I want him using that speed too. 

25 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

It’s because he’s not a big fat guy that I don’t want him at 0t. I want him using that speed too. 

But Payne is great at anchoring as a 1tech or 0tech, it’s the only position he’s played at Alabama since he walked onto their campus. As a freshman he was around 350 pounds and was their back up NT. Then, the last two years he lost 30 plus pounds to get quicker and more athletic while still keeping his strength and becoming Alabama’s starting NT. If a guy does something well, you should play him in that position so he continues to have an impact there.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:37 PM, lavar703 said:

Because he’s not a slot corner, he’s a natural safety. This is no different than drafting Orakpo and making him a 4-3 OLB. You don’t use the 13th pick in the draft on a slot corner or part time player. If you draft Fitz than he’s starting at safety. 

Mikah was a starting corner for Alabama in 2015 & 2016 before they moved him to FS in 2017. He has the ability to play every single defensive back position on the field at a high level. IMO you literally can’t go wrong by picking Minkah Fitzpatrick because he can play outside corner, slot corner and both safety positions for your defense.

On 4/5/2018 at 5:51 PM, lavar703 said:

I don't understand the obsession with Vita Vea? 

I just have to ask @lavar703, what has changed since Thursday that you went from questioning what’s so special with Vita Vea to you saying he’s so much better than Payne on Saturday... ???

On 4/5/2018 at 8:48 PM, lavar703 said:

I don’t see anything eye popping when I watch Vea. He certainly doesn’t jump off the screen as a top 15 pick to me. His best highlights are of him chasing guys down the field. Maybe he ends up being a dominant player but I just don’t see it. 

On 4/5/2018 at 8:50 PM, lavar703 said:

Shelton to me was way more explosive. I also think Payne is a much better prospect than Vea though. 

I never said he was “so much better” than Payne. I said it’s widely known that he’s the better pass rusher of the two, which he is. That doesn’t mean I feel Vita Vea is a better player, because I don’t. Vea will go much higher in the draft however because he’s the flashier of the two. 

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I never said he was “so much better” than Payne. I said it’s widely known that he’s the better pass rusher of the two, which he is. That doesn’t mean I feel Vita Vea is a better player, because I don’t. Vea will go much higher in the draft however because he’s the flashier of the two. 

Fair enough. I still say the reason he seems flashier is because of the reasons I mentioned a few posts up about other players on Alabama’s D having so many talented players and those players taking the stats while Payne did the work and Payne playing against better competition than Vea.

I think Payne offers plenty that doesn’t show up, it’s just the NT in Nick Saban’s 3-4 scheme doesn’t make many flash plays.

You could be right that Payne falls to the late 1st or 2nd like Jaran Reed and A’Shawn Robinson. If he falls to us in round 2 and we had taken Guice, Edmunds, Roquan Smith, Fitzpatrick, James, Ward or Jackson in round 1 instead of Vea then I hope we take Payne in round 2.

Analysis | Redskins need to bolster their secondary in the draft, but could wait for later rounds

https://wapo.st/2H0mEWK?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.0f9ca044b3cf

The Washington Redskins are likely to add secondary help during the NFL draft later this month, following the offseason departures of 

Kendall FullerBashaud Breelandand Su’a Cravens. The team, however, has multiple needs that could be addressed in the first two rounds, including defensive line and running back.

[ Who should the Redskins draft?: Lamar Jackson vs. Derrius Guice ]

Florida State safety Derwin James and Alabama defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick could both be in play with the Redskins’ No. 13 pick, although both players could easily be taken before then. The Redskins don’t have a third-round pick, which was packaged with Fuller in the trade for quarterback Alex Smith. They hold one fourth rounder (No. 109 overall), two fifth-round picks (Nos. 142 and 163) one sixth-round selection (No. 188) and two seventh rounders (231 and 241).

ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. pointed to West Virginia’s Kyzir White, Penn State’s Marcus Allen and Northwestern’s Godwin Igwebuike as three strong late-round safeties with potential.

“Depending upon whether you view them as cornerbacks or safeties,” Kiper said. “Kyzir White, West Virginia, he could go third or fourth round. Marcus Allen, Penn State, could go fourth or fifth round. Godwin Igwebuike from Northwestern could go four to six, in that area.

“There’s going to be some guys that drop down a little bit at that spot that have a lot of ability. Igwebuike tested off the charts at the combine.”

Who we have looked/talked to so far, outside of obviously Vea and Payne I haven’t seen any other NT candidates like Phillips, Settle,hill, naddi, or Lotulelei. 

Has me thinking that a Hankins signing could still be possible some time this week

if so by looking at this list I could see

1guice 2Price or Smith 4CB 5WR

• Quin Blanding, S, Virginia (SR)
  • Bryce Bobo, WR, Colorado (EW)
  • Tony Brown, CB, Alabama (PRO)
  • Tyler Conklin, TE, Central Michigan (SR)
  • Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon (SR%)
  • Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State (PRI)
  • Rashard Fant, CB, Indiana (WOR)
  • Folorunso Fatukasi, DT/3-4DE, Connecticut (EW)
  • Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis (COM)
  • Daurice Fountain, WR, Northern Iowa (PRI)
  • Derrius Guice^, RB, LSU (PRO, WOR)
  • Desmond Harrison, OT, West Georgia (PRI)
  • Connor Hilland, G, William & Mary (EW)
  • Jamarco Jones, OT, Ohio State (COM)
  • Ronald Jones II^, RB, USC (COM, PRI)
  • Nick Keizer, TE, Grand Valley State (PRO)
  • Kameron Kelly, CB, San Diego State (SR)
  • Arden Key, DE/3-4OLB, LSU (PRI)
  • Mike Love, DE/3-4OLB, South Florida (PRO)
  • Cole Madison^, OT, Washington State (SR%, PRI)
  • Jordan Martin, S, Syracuse (EW)
  • Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma (COM)
  • D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland (COM)
  • Dorian O'Daniel, ILB, Clemson (PRO)
  • Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan (PRI)
  • Da'Ron Payne, DT/NT, Alabama (PRI)
  • Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State (SR)
  • Billy Price^, G/C, Ohio State (COM, PRI)
  • Malik Reaves, CB, Villanova (EW)
  • Braden Smith, G, Auburn (PRI)
  • Kentavius Street, DE, N.C. State (EW)
  • Josh Sweat, DE/3-4OLB, Florida State (PRI)
  • Matthew Thomas, ILB, Florida State (EW)
  • Robert Torgerson, DT, Southern Utah (PRO)
  • Vita Vea, DT/3-4DE/NT, Washington (PRI)
  • Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa (SR%)
  • Cedric Wilson, WR, Boise State (SR)
  • Deon Yelder, WR, Western Kentucky (PRO)
  •  

27 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

6zeve8L.gif

I drafted Blanding in the latest simulation mock I did. He’d be a good mid round S to draft, just like Kyzir White, Marcus Allen, Amari Watts and Godwin Igwebukie From Northwestern 

Archived