The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

If Rosen is there, you take him. He won’t be but if he is, don’t be stupid. He’s a tremendous QB prospect. Teams are overthinking this the same way they did with Rodgers. He’s the best QB in the draft. 

Here's my problem with taking Rosen: Alex Smith's contract negates the majority of Rosen's rookie deal. Smith already has his salary in 2018 and 2019 guaranteed. If he's on the roster in March 2019, his 2020 salary guarantees. Since his 2019 salary is guaranteed, his 2020 one is guaranteed in all but name.

So three years are essentially guaranteed. Oh, and there's also the $27M signing bonus that's prorated.

That means Rosen is either stuck behind Smith for 60% of his cheap rookie deal (*), the Redskins cut Smith & eat MASSIVE amounts of dead cap space (**), or find a team willing to take on Smith's contract a la the Browns and Brock Osweiler (***), or trade Rosen (****).

Then there's the problem that they would have wasted a 3rd round pick and Kendall Fuller for no good reason. Oh yeah, and we still wouldn't have addressed any of the major holes on the roster.

So, as I said in the "Would you be mad?" thread, I will be hitting thermonuclear rage levels if we draft a QB in the first round.

(*) This assumes they pick up his fifth year option. Now that should be a foregone conclusion, but the Redskins' front office track record on QBs hasn't been that good of late. It also means the Redskins would essentially be starting a fourth year rookie and potentially walking themselves right back into the QB Contract Standoff Corral.

Alternatively, they could have the single most expensive backup quarterback in NFL history ... for two full years (assuming Rosen beats Smith out at some point in year one). This arguably even worse as they would be spending about 10% of their cap space on a guy so he carry a clipboard. That would limit their ability to sign and/or keep players to help Rosen develop into a pro.

(**) $36.6M in dead cap if they cut Smith before his 2020 salary guarantees, a ludicrous $52.6M if they stall long enough for 2020 to guarantee, or $32.2M if they cut him in 2020.

(***) This will still cost the Redskins either $21.6M (if traded in 2019) or $16.2 (if traded in 2020) in dead cap due to the signing bonus monies.

(****) In which case, they wasted the pick in 2018 and could get less in return in 2019 or 2020.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I’d still take him Woz. Without the cocky attitude he’s the first pick in the draft. I don’t even understand why he’s going to drop to be honest? 

This logic, IMO, is fundamentally wrong. In no way do I draft a QB at all in this years draft. You wait 2 years and draft your replacement then.

8 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

This logic, IMO, is fundamentally wrong. In no way do I draft a QB at all in this years draft. You wait 2 years and draft your replacement then.

The logic isn’t wrong at all and it’s what good teams do. When someone unexpectedly falls you don’t look the gift horse in the mouth. That’s how you end up with Laron Landry instead of Adrien Peterson. It’s the exact same scenario the Packers faced when Rodgers never should’ve been there.

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The logic isn’t wrong at all and it’s what good teams do. When someone unexpectedly falls you don’t look the gift horse in the mouth. That’s how you end up with Laron Landry instead of Adrien Peterson. It’s the exact same scenario the Packers faced when Rodgers never should’ve been there.

Except that you have a QB that WILL be the starter for the duration of the rookie QBs contract. So you waste a pick for a player to sit on your bench and walk in FA?

Our first round pick should be for a player that can make an immediate impact, that is what good teams do.

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I think QB is different.  There are only so many reps a backup QB can get in practice, and with the contract we just gave Alex Smith we can't really get rid of him for 3 years at the earliest.  

56 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Except that you have a QB that WILL be the starter for the duration of the rookie QBs contract. So you waste a pick for a player to sit on your bench and walk in FA?

Our first round pick should be for a player that can make an immediate impact, that is what good teams do.

Unless an unforeseen circumstance happens and then you alter your plans. Look, I don’t think the Alex Smith experiment is going to work out as well as others and we’re basically tied to him for three years which would give us two years with Rosen starting before we worry about contract. If he’s there, you take him. 

43 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I think QB is different.  There are only so many reps a backup QB can get in practice, and with the contract we just gave Alex Smith we can't really get rid of him for 3 years at the earliest.  

I’m fine with that. It’s an extreme case obviously because the odds of Rosen being there are remote but if he is you really have to consider it. It’s simply because he’s the best QB prospect in the draft. If it were any of the other ones I’d be totally fine with passing or trading out of the pick but Rosen should be the first QB off the board in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Unless an unforeseen circumstance happens and then you alter your plans. Look, I don’t think the Alex Smith experiment is going to work out as well as others and we’re basically tied to him for three years which would give us two years with Rosen starting before we worry about contract. If he’s there, you take him. 

I don’t think Alex Smith will work out either, but we’re stuck with him.

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m fine with that. It’s an extreme case obviously because the odds of Rosen being there are remote but if he is you really have to consider it. It’s simply because he’s the best QB prospect in the draft. If it were any of the other ones I’d be totally fine with passing or trading out of the pick but Rosen should be the first QB off the board in my opinion. 

I agree about Rosen’s potential.

21 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If he’s there, you take him.

If he’s there, you trade down with a team that will give you a bounty of picks. 

There is no point in drafting ANY QB this year. There are already 3 QBs on the roster and we know the Redskins are comfortable carrying two into the Regular season. 

20 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I have the QBs rated differently, but I see your rating of Rosen and understand it. I don’t think the Redskins should even sniff at the QBs in this draft. They have essentially already got their draft QB in the Hogan trade.

Doc’s half sober ( just three Macallans with a Sunshine appetizer)NFL Mock

but first a commentary- Cuba is awesome for old single guys- baby got back all around and happy to party

beaches awesome

and hotels first class 

Brice Sucks and Gruden is the worst :)

now to my mock draft 

1. Take Derwin James if available at 13. If not trade back as the fat samoan will be gone. If Derwin or Fatboy is there- take them and disregard my remaining comments. 

Payne will drop because he’s good but not a special talent like Allen- but my pick in the first is James at 13 or Gesicki at TE as we trade to the 20’s and tell the Glassman, we trading your brittle bones to the next sucker. Having a TE who can’t play more than half the games is worse than being loyal and having a part time women- for suckers  

2. Harrison Phillips DT from Stanford. He’s better than Payne and a 10 year starter from day 1 at DE as we stupidly continue to stick with the outdated 3/4. Perfect DT for next coaching staff

2. We pick this up from our first round trade or a combo with a trade up- OC Billy Price the best OC we’ve has since Lenny Haas ( google machine it young bucks) and put that chase dud at OG to fight it out with the big boy Ty N.

3. Picked up in trade back from 13 to mid twenties- “Kerry on my brother” Johnson at RB- day 1 starter to compete with PRine to see who is top ? or or wants it most- don’t worry Sunshine, I always want it most only with you :)

4. Wyatt Teller from V Tech who is one nasty SOB LG who is light years better than what we have had for years. Considered Clapp but Bro’s I try to avoid this if at all possible  

TE- so we finally block, catch and score TD’s and have a guy who can play 16 games every year 

DE- the most prodctive DL in college. Love this guy

RB- dual threat durable guy who is better than anybody we have and can and should rush for 1k yards year one and catch 30 passes

LG who reminds me of Russ Grimm. And his name ain’t Clapp 

About time someone on here besides me gives Harrison Phillips some love. I don't care what scouts say, I don't care people think he looks like a guard. He is better than Payne all day, every day. Anybody that gets 100 tackles and 6.5 sacks in one season from nose tackle position is one bad m-f'er.

Payne ain't bad, and I'll support him if he's our pick, but Allen, Ionnidis, and Phillips on the same line? Good luck running on that

Archived