The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Because you need 4 or 5 good OLBs & Murphy has versatility to be moved inside as a pass rusher on 2nd and 3rd & Long situations.

Also Manusky & Tomsula screwed the pooch last year on 3rd & long situations. They didn’t try different pass rush packages like Haslett had in the past - Haz had the NASCAR package - one 3-4 DE over the C & 3 OLBs on the field to rush the passer. Haz also would move Kerrigan to a DT spot sometimes to rush against guards. The Redskins defense should have done this more since Haz was fired and they haven’t.

I talked about all offseason and regular season how we needed to get Galette, Kerrigan and Smith on the field together on 3rd and Long or obvious pass situations when we were protecting a lead in the second half and the opposing team was throwing the ball almsot every down.

They didn’t do it, it was highly disappointing. Galette was our most efficient pass rusher last year, he needed more snaps, sliding Smith or Kerrigan to the 3-4 DE position to rush against a guard on 3rd and Long would have made a huge difference in our pass rush last and probably would have resulted in each of them getting at least 1 more sack.

I am still trying to figure out how Trent Murphy qualifies as a "good" OLB. His only good season was when he got popped for PEDs. 

59 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I am still trying to figure out how Trent Murphy qualifies as a "good" OLB. His only good season was when he got popped for PEDs. 

Even since he took over the counter supplements like amino acids or whatever and got busted, he still had to go out there and beat OTs all year for 9 sacks, other pressures and playing the run. We missed him this year, especially after Allen got hurt.

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Even since he took over the counter supplements like amino acids or whatever and got busted, he still had to go out there and beat OTs all year for 9 sacks, other pressures and playing the run. We missed him this year, especially after Allen got hurt.

Eh. If the contract is for a vet min type deal, sure. No way he deserves more. We already have no talent players taking up cap space.

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Eh. If the contract is for a vet min type deal, sure. No way he deserves more. We already have no talent players taking up cap space.

Well that’s what anyone who wants to keep him wants to give him. There’s nothing wrong with keeping reliable depth to help our rotation. I think that gets lost on people a lot. Reliable depth is valuable to keep our starters fresh, even if that guy is going to only play like 20 snaps a game. 

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Trent should only play De. Skins tried him at De and it was succesful.

before his PED he was a pretty slight run stopper . I'd  say do a one year deal. See what happens because it's super as heck beats McClain and McGee .

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

He's not. He sucks badly and we should let him go. I have no idea what they were thinking picking him in the second round? 

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He's not. He sucks badly and we should let him go. I have no idea what they were thinking picking him in the second round? 

It’s about depth. Getting murphy back as our 3rd or 4th OLB and 5th DE/part of the interior pass rusher rotation fills a need. The reason murphy was picked in the second round was because while he may not be elite at anything, he is what Scot would call a “good football player,” and he led tge ncaa in sacks his senior year at Stanford. There’s no doubt though, the Redskins shouldn’t have traded down, they should’ve not traded back and drafted Tuitt or DeMarcus Lawrence - who the Cowboys traded up with us to draft.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It’s about depth. Getting murphy back as our 3rd or 4th OLB and 5th DE/part of the interior pass rusher rotation fills a need. The reason murphy was picked in the second round was because while he may not be elite at anything, he is what Scot would call a “good football player,” and he led tge ncaa in sacks his senior year at Stanford. There’s no doubt though, the Redskins shouldn’t have traded down, they should’ve not traded back and drafted Tuitt or DeMarcus Lawrence - who the Cowboys traded up with us to draft.

They should've stayed exactly where they were and drafted Bitonio and then re-signed Orakpo. 

Guys, I am over my disappointment with the KC issue and have moved on with our new QB Smith. So lets do everything we need to do to win this year and next year.  In light of this, we have to get a premiere DL, running back, edge rusher,  WR, LG and Blocking TE

We can get the WR, LG and Blocking TE in free agency. We need to focus on the RB and DL. We must resign MLB Brown. I'd also resign Murphy, Gallette, Hopkins, and Long.  The others who are our free agents- who cares.sign them to compete as bottom dollar agreements.

I'm hoping we can get either of these combinations with our first two picks:

1. Payne and  Chubb (this guy reminds me so much of Emmitt Smith in College)

2. Vea and Chubb

We should get a Lotulelei either by signing Star during free agency or drafting his brother Lowell in the third round.

Then we pick up the best WR and LG in free agency

We need a healthy Chris Thompson and Reed as well because Smith loves to throw to RB's and TE's. Chubb has under rated hands and can be a three down guy.

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

They should've stayed exactly where they were and drafted Bitonio and then re-signed Orakpo. 

Agree on Orakpo, but Tuitt is a pro bowl type 3-4 DE. If we wanted to take our D to the next step beyond 2014 we should have done both. IMO, it’s where I was in that off season.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Orakpo couldn’t stay healthy here.  A change of scenery was best for both sides.

He had bad luck with a torn pec, probably because he tried to come back too fast and because our training staff sucks.

Let’s just look at the facts, players generally leave DC and then don’t have th same injury problems again. This happened with Carlos Rogers and his eyes; Orakpo & Keenan Robinson in their pec injuries.

Redskins Mocks via Walterfootball:

Round 1: Da’Ron Payne, NT, Bama

Round 2: James Washington, WR, Ok St

Round 4: Oren Burks, ILB, Vanderbilt

Round 5: Duke Dawson, CB, Florida 

Round 6 & 7 from Drafttek:

Round 6: Kurt Benkurt, QB, Virginia (at least Bruce will pronounce his first name correctly)

Round 7: Justin Jones, NT, NC ST

Archived