The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Mason Rudolph really wants to be a Redskin. Good thing we overpaid Alex Smith so we can go 8-8 for the next 3 years. Yay!

I wish there was a hate button. Not because of you and what you wrote. Because I hate that we're probably gonna remain perfectly mediocre for the rest of my life.

On 2/13/2018 at 1:34 PM, lavar703 said:

Mason Rudolph really wants to be a Redskin. Good thing we overpaid Alex Smith so we can go 8-8 for the next 3 years. Yay!

No guarantee Mason Rudolph turns into a good starter and there’s certainly no way of knowing if the team will be better, the same or worse with Smith. 

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Both Smith's contract and Kirk's tag will hit at the same time if we try tag n trade.

My understanding is: Tag will take effect as soon as it is applied. Smiths contract will take effect March 6th when the trade is finalized. So no matter what we do with Kirk, Smith isn’t on the books until the 6th.

We can Tag Kirk as early as Feb. 20th.

We could have a trade in place before March 6th. Which Is the Tag deadline, I believe.

However, I'm not sure if we need to create more cap space if we agree with a team on a trade in principle before then or not.

my guess is, we do. Since nothing can be official till march 14th

If that's the case, we need about 3.5M in cap space to carry both Smith & Cousins (temporarily...of course)

till cousins is gone. Then we get back the 34.5M in cap.

We could get 3.5M from cuts or perhaps contract restructures from current players.

On 2/15/2018 at 2:23 AM, Slappy Mc said:

My understanding is: Tag will take effect as soon as it is applied. Smiths contract will take effect March 6th when the trade is finalized. So no matter what we do with Kirk, Smith isn’t on the books until the 6th.

Correct. But there's no way we're not tagging him until then if we try this. We KNOW that Smith is hitting the books on the 6th. Other teams do too. If we tag Kirk now, we're strapped now.

Literally the ONLY way this is gonna work IMHO is to talk with Kirk about where he wants to go and work out a deal with the team he wants to go to that he will sign a LTD with them. Then T&T him. As long as we work it out before with another team (and without Kirk being tagged and on the books for too long), then its good. But that's ALOT of "ifs"

19 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Correct. But there's no way we're not tagging him until then if we try this. We KNOW that Smith is hitting the books on the 6th. Other teams do too. If we tag Kirk now, we're strapped now.

Literally the ONLY way this is gonna work IMHO is to talk with Kirk about where he wants to go and work out a deal with the team he wants to go to that he will sign a LTD with them. Then T&T him. As long as we work it out before with another team (and without Kirk being tagged and on the books for too long), then its good. But that's ALOT of "ifs"

There’s also the fact that we aren’t likely to be big players in the first days of free agency just like the last 5 years so, if we can get something out of Kirk, we should.  I don’t think it’s going to affect our FA plans because we’re likely to be big players in FA this year again.

My hope is that we are currently working on a sign and trade deal with the team that Kirk wants to go to the most and it will all be worked out on the first day of free Agency like Cooley thinks. 

On 2/17/2018 at 5:34 PM, turtle28 said:

There’s also the fact that we aren’t likely to be big players in the first days of free agency just like the last 5 years so, if we can get something out of Kirk, we should.  I don’t think it’s going to affect our FA plans because we’re likely to be big players in FA this year again.

My hope is that we are currently working on a sign and trade deal with the team that Kirk wants to go to the most and it will all be worked out on the first day of free Agency like Cooley thinks. 

Hey, if we can work something out and Kirk is on board? Great.

Archived