The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

22 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Any VT fans out there have any insight on NT Tim Settle?  He's listed as 6'3" 335 lbs.  Sounds like he could go as high as the 2nd round.  @MikeT14 ?

I’m not a VT fan but I've seen him play a few times and come away impressed with his ability to be stout against the run. He’s not the top NT I want but he’s be a good pick for us.

45 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Any VT fans out there have any insight on NT Tim Settle?  He's listed as 6'3" 335 lbs.  Sounds like he could go as high as the 2nd round.  @MikeT14 ?

He made a big jump this year. I'm not sure I want to spend a 2nd on him, but anything later would be a-okay with me. For his size, he's got some agility/quickness (I think he's like 330lbs). Is very young.

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

He made a big jump this year. I'm not sure I want to spend a 2nd on him, but anything later would be a-okay with me. For his size, he's got some agility/quickness (I think he's like 330lbs). Is very young.

Oh so we can use our 3rd rounder on him....errrrr wait.......

Shoot, kind of forgot about that. Yes, then, to get him we'd need to use or 2nd. I wouldn't, by any means, be mad if we did, but I've also never really thought of him as a 3-4 NT. I know his size, but I think he'd be better off in a 4-3. I could be wrong, I'm not that knowledgeable, but just my opinion.

31 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

How good is Nelson from ND. I'm starting to think we should draft him at 13. With our awful run game and complains of who needs to play LG than maybe it'd be wise to draft a Guard .

i really want our Ol to be as good as the cowboys . 

Our running backs of the last 3 years have been known to miss multiple holes that the OL has provided them. I’m not saying our OL run blocking has been perfect, because it certainly hasn’t but IMO we have a running back problem and a TE blocking probelm more than a LG problem.

Also, there’s the topic of position importance. My personal preference is not have two OG’s who were top 15 picks and to be paying a LT and RT two of the highest salaries at their positions. 

I think we can find a LG in free agency who won’t blow up our cap and will be an upgrade over Lauvao and not have to pay much for him.

I’d much rather use our 1st round pick on a starting NT, another starting defender, a starting RB or starting WR rather than another guard.

As I read through these posts, it makes me think of a defense-related article I read not so long ago. 

Long story short... so long as they deem a particular "NT" of these days as a legit 3 down player? I would have no problem seeing them add such a player in the top 50. 

Are the Redskins Really a 3-4 Defense Under Greg Manusky?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/are-the-redskins-really-a-3-4-defense-under-greg-manusky/ar-BBICmze

In 2017, the Redskins played in their base odd-front less than 30 percent of the time. This is about the same as we saw in 2016, despite having a new defensive coordinator in Greg Manusky. The 4-2-5 defense (or Nickel look), is the Redskins new base defense.

15 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

As I read through these posts, it makes me think of a defense-related article I read not so long ago. 

Long story short... so long as they deem a particular "NT" of these days as a legit 3 down player? I would have no problem seeing them add such a player in the top 50. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/are-the-redskins-really-a-3-4-defense-under-greg-manusky/ar-BBICmze

Nice article dude !

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

This is why I don’t think they will go NT in the first, and why an athletic edge rusher could really help the defense.

19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

This is why I don’t think they will go NT in the first, and why an athletic edge rusher could really help the defense.

That was where I was going.

Because of the pass-heavy NFL schemes of today, if they designate a DL as more than just a run plugging, 2 down hog? then that obviously increases his value as a selection. A very good run stopper that can also be a pass rush threat? Probably need to get him early, and I'm down with that. 

Tell me, who do you most like as that 1st rd edge rusher, MK82? I suspect whoever he is.. is also part of the reason for your created Trade Smith thread. 

giphy.gif

If it were my call, I'd roll the dice with more development of the current edge rushers Washington already has. I'm not saying give no attention to the edge rushers, but early this year? probably no. Focus on an early rd edge rusher in 2019, if the others don't appear worthy. Are they to already give up on their 2nd rd pick of Ryan Anderson?

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

That was where I was going.

Because of the pass-heavy NFL schemes of today, if they designate a DL as more than just a run plugging, 2 down hog? then that obviously increases his value as a selection. A very good run stopper that can also be a pass rush threat? Probably need to get him early, and I'm down with that. 

Tell me, who do you most like as that 1st rd edge rusher, MK82? I suspect whoever he is.. is also part of the reason for your created Trade Smith thread. 

giphy.gif

If it were my call, I'd roll the dice with more development of the current edge rushers Washington already has. I'm not saying give no attention to the edge rushers, but early this year? probably no. Focus on an early rd edge rusher in 2019, if the others don't appear worthy. Are they to already give up on their 2nd rd pick of Ryan Anderson?

I really like Marcus Davenport.

Archived