The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

1 hour ago, footy_29 said:

4 QBs - Allen, Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen/Jackson

I agree that all of these guys, except maybe Jackson, will likely go before 13.  That is a plus for us since we aren't likely to target a QB this year, so it should push some other talent down the board.  Also I'm not really in agreement on your assessment of Rosen, I don't think he falls out of the Top 5.  He's too good of a passer.  

1 hour ago, footy_29 said:

1 RB - Barkley
1 DE - Chubb
3 DB - Fitzpatrick, James, Ward
1 OG - Nelson
1 ILB - Edmunds
1 OLB - Davenport
1 NT - Vea
1 UT - Hurst

I've seen a lot of mocks having Joshua Jackson out of Iowa as the top CB and not Ward.  The knock on Ward is his small size.  Not sure if I'd consider Ward an elite prospect.  

I think Payne is considered by most people to be the top interior Dlineman in this draft.  So I'd substitute him over Vea.

I've seen Hurst in the top 15 and in the 2nd round.  With the success of undersized interior pass rushers like Aaron Donald I could see him go in the first round, but Idk if he should be considered amongst the elite prospects of this class.  Also I don't think he fits our 3-4 scheme. 

I would also probably list Roquan Smith as an elite prospect in this class.  

But to the main point of your post, I could see James, Ward, Jackson, Edmunds, Davenport, Payne or Smith being available at 13.  Obviously they all won't be.  But lets assume 4 QBs get taken, Barkley, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, and Nelson are all almost assuredly gone before then.  That's 8 picks gone, only 4 more to go before us.  Of the 7 I listed 3 should be available.  

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Knowing @Jeezy, I’m sure he’s joking. Most of the time he’s being highly sarcastic.

Speaking of Jeezy he’s playing at the Fillmore in Silver Spring next week.

I'm not sure I'm a big enough fan of his last couple albums I would go these days. TM101 through The Recession are all classics though

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I'm not sure I'm a big enough fan of his last couple albums I would go these days. TM101 through The Recession are all classics though

Still, seeing someone in a concert (even if you're a fan of their older stuff) is usually worth it. Granted, if the price is jacked up through the roof, then let it go by.

@MKnight82 If you had watched every game Denzel Ward played this you’d think he was elite. He’s a better prospect than Eli Apple was who the giants took in the teens and on par with what Marshawn Lattimore was and the saints took. All Lattimore did was become one of the best defensive players to come out of last year draft and help solidify the Saints defensive backfield which had been a mess sicne they last win the Super Bowl with Malcom Jenkins, Porter and company back there.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Still, seeing someone in a concert (even if you're a fan of their older stuff) is usually worth it. Granted, if the price is jacked up through the roof, then let it go by.

Its only $40 for the floor tickets in the Fillmore. It’s 3 blocks from where I live in Silver Spring. If it were $20, I’d probably go but I’ve never been a huge fan of his.

I did go see Bone-Thugs-N-Harmony there a year ago and that was cool.

19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Its only $40 for the floor tickets in the Fillmore. It’s 3 blocks from where I live in Silver Spring. If it were $20, I’d probably go but I’ve never been a huge fan of his.

I did go see Bone-Thugs-N-Harmony there a year ago and that was cool.

CourteousConventionalDove-size_restricte

7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

CourteousConventionalDove-size_restricte

It was a pretty good show except I’m a 5’5 white guy and there was a tall guy infront of me waiving a white towel for two hours which sometimes hit me in the face. ? 

Still, good to see them all back together again. They just came out with a new album last year that’s pretty good. 

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It was a pretty good show except I’m a 5’5 white guy and there were a tall guy infront of me waiving a white towel for two hours which sometimes hit me in the face. ? 

Still, good to see them all back together again. They just came out with a new album last year that’s pretty good. 

Lmao we would be the same height. That happened to me at the first game of the season against the eagles. Super tall guy sat down in front of me and I couldn't see crap. The wife felt bad and asked if I wanted to trade seats lol. 

20 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Man you guys are short.

Yeah, heredity sucks. The tallest person in my immediate family is my dad and he is 5’9. My grandfathers were 5’6 and 5’8. One Uncle is shorter than me, one other is 5’7 and the other is 5’8. 

14 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I agree that all of these guys, except maybe Jackson, will likely go before 13.  That is a plus for us since we aren't likely to target a QB this year, so it should push some other talent down the board.  Also I'm not really in agreement on your assessment of Rosen, I don't think he falls out of the Top 5.  He's too good of a passer.  

I think it's easier for a team to fall in love with Lamar Jackson and for teams to be hesitant about Rosen. It's my bold prediction that won't become true, but let me live a little here. I am tempted to say that there will only be 3 QBs selected ahead of the 13th pick (Allen, Darnold, Mayfield) and that knocks one more player off the board. Still, I think teams are well aware of the advantages of the rookie contracts for QBs and are increasingly looking to the draft.

I've seen a lot of mocks having Joshua Jackson out of Iowa as the top CB and not Ward.  The knock on Ward is his small size.  Not sure if I'd consider Ward an elite prospect.  

I think Payne is considered by most people to be the top interior Dlineman in this draft.  So I'd substitute him over Vea.

I've seen Hurst in the top 15 and in the 2nd round.  With the success of undersized interior pass rushers like Aaron Donald I could see him go in the first round, but Idk if he should be considered amongst the elite prospects of this class.  Also I don't think he fits our 3-4 scheme. 

I would also probably list Roquan Smith as an elite prospect in this class.  

Jackson won't quite beat out Ward. If he started the year previous, or displayed better long speed/catch-up speed he would beat him out. I like him a good deal, just not in the top 15. After the combine he's either 1a/1b with Ward in the top 15, or with Hughes (red flags) in the latter half of the first round. 

I expect Payne to measure well overall, but teams want players that can change the game in the first round or top 15 at least. The comparisons to Ngata, and his ability to potentially be better and higher valued because of his ability to be a natural nose in a 34 defense will likely have Vea selected in the top 10. If Hurst comes in and shows some added upper body strength and comes in ~295 with his long arms and initial quickness and punch, you can certainly see a team taking a chance on the potential next dominant 43 UT.

Fair about Smith. Depends if teams see him capable of being a Deion Jones style MLB. I am leaning toward him being best as a 43 WLB, and that positional value is low. If his weight/wingspan/arm length/hand size are better than expected, that could change perception of future potential.

But to the main point of your post, I could see James, Ward, Jackson, Edmunds, Davenport, Payne or Smith being available at 13.  Obviously they all won't be.  But lets assume 4 QBs get taken, Barkley, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, and Nelson are all almost assuredly gone before then.  That's 8 picks gone, only 4 more to go before us.  Of the 7 I listed 3 should be available.  

Assuming 3-4 QBs before pick 13, we have 4-5 players gone before the Redskins select. 

James + Ward + Edmunds + Davenport + Vea

I know I argued that the Redskins are 'just' inside the top prospects, they may not be if teams ahead pick only three QBs and do not select an offensive tackle.

Archived