Do you even prep bro?

Totty

9 minutes ago, Totty said:

Aside from ammo, what kind of stuff do you keep on hand?  

I've got a couple backpacks full of camping supplies. A tent, tarps, sleeping bags, blankets. Along with a first aid kit with basic medicine and bangages, a few splints, some wound seal and a a tourniquet. There's another bag with toilet paper and a shovel, a hatchet, a variety of knives, a fishing kit, a fire starting kit, a few MREs, a couple lifestraws for water filtration as well as tabs for chemical filtration, wire snares for catching game, a wild plant ID guide for the area and a couple books on primitive construction and a couple changes of clothes.

I also have a Ruger 10/22 with about a thousand rounds (for hunting rabbits and zombie headshots), a break action shotgun with about a hundred shells, a .30-06 with about 50 rounds of ammunition.

I used to camp and fish in remote locations a lot more than I do now and would take the packs (minus two rifles) when I went fishing, just in case. Never really needed anything I put in there except the TP, and first aid kit a few times.

Now it all gathers dust in the garage. 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The stuff we use a lot.

A few months ago I spent 400 on TP and paper towels.  We had some amazon gift cards from work and said “this stuff won’t go bad”.

Pet food, dry “long shelf life” foods like beans and rice, etc.  The beans and rice is dirt cheap and lasts forever.  When folks stop losing their minds, throw some in your pantry for like $10. Same goes for canned goods.  Even if some end up going bad because you’re lazy it’s only a few bucks.

I generally don’t stock water.  I’m in Ohio, it rains, I have a sink, etc.  We have some, not a ton.

Cash, a few hundred at a minimum.  Depending on my spending on hobbies, a grand or two, in the home.

This is exactly why I made this thread.  Good little stockpile.  I need to get some shelving in downstairs.  That might be my next project.  

26 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Why the **** do people think they need ammo? Are you legitimately preparing to kill people? 

Had a officer tell me one time he definitely stocks up on guns. Some other people may stock up on lots of food or water and other essentials but not him. That way if s*** goes south he doesn't need to stock up on that he just has to find out who did. 

• Like 1

Just now, Calvert28 said:

Had a officer tell me one time he definitely stocks up on guns. Some other people may stock up on lots of food or water and other essentials but not him. That way if s*** goes south he doesn't need to stock up on that he just has to find out who did. 

Common saying amongst goobers for years, nothing original there.

Id be surprised if a guy who bothered to really stock up of food and supplies didn’t also have a gun or two.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Did you tell Officer Numbskull that they probably have guns too? 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Totty said:

What happens if he market crashes, and money has not value but TP and ammo do? lol

This is why I'm heavily invested in salt right now.  (I'm thinking real doomsday here, people are going to need to preserve food.  Salt will be worth its weight in gold.)

Also, got back to homebrewing this afternoon, making my own beer.  It's just a shame that my kids are too young for this to be considered a viable science lesson for the day.

• Like 3

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I was a grump Gus for a week or two 😂 

That sucks bad.  Hopefully you didn't lose too much.  From this thread, I am learning I need to get salt, more ammo, and beans rice and TP.  

3 minutes ago, Totty said:

That sucks bad.  Hopefully you didn't lose too much.  From this thread, I am learning I need to get salt, more ammo, and beans rice and TP.  

Nothing that couldn’t be replaced.  Such is life.  

This is also why you don’t put all your eggs in one basket so to speak.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Totty said:

To be fair, if you don't know how to cure/preserve meat, don't go too overboard on salt.  My figuring is, if it comes to it, I can barter salt (or at least the ability to preserve the meat) for meat if it comes to it.  (Assuming I don't resort to cannibalism and picking off my weaker neighbors.)