2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

Nice write up. They have good writers.

The “ there’s no julio jones in this draft” thing bothers me though. It’s essentially saying there isn’t a perfect prospect at WR in this draft. How many of those guys ever come up at any position?  There’s hardly ever a Julio Jones in a draft. There’s usually only like 2-5 can’t miss prospects in a class. Can’t miss prospects in this class: Young, Okudah and Simmons. Only 3. The rest have question marks.

Just a pet peeve of mine. Seems like an unnecessary comment that could be said about any position. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

The “ there’s no julio jones in this draft” thing bothers me though. It’s essentially saying there isn’t a perfect prospect at WR in this draft. How many of those guys ever come up at any position?  There’s hardly ever a Julio Jones in a draft. There’s usually only like 2-5 can’t miss prospects in a class. Can’t miss prospects in this class: Young, Okudah and Simmons. Only 3. The rest have question marks.

Just a pet peeve of mine. Seems like an unnecessary comment that could be said about any position. 

Exactly. There’s no Joe Thomas this class either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I paraphrased a lot of it, but I think the point is that there is no "clear cut" bonafide #1 wide receiver in this class. And that's fine- the highest producing receivers in the NFL today are mostly system guys with exception to a few (Julio being one of them). But there's no "thoroughbreds" in this class that project as a do-all/win in every single way regardless of coverage, scheme, or alignment in this class. Another quote from the artical: 

QUOTE TO NOTE

NFC personnel executive: “Lamb, Shenault and Aiyuk aren’t your natural, traditional, fluid, route-running receivers. They’re almost Anquan Boldin types, but today people say Deebo Samuel. You get the ball out quick, run after catch, end around, slip screens, that kind of stuff they’re doing so much more now of with receivers.”

And that's great. Every good team needs wide receivers like this. But guess what? They're not always top 15 picks. These guys aren't Mike Evans, or Odell Beckham, or heck even Justin Blackmon (unfortunate he had significant substance abuse problems). They are system players that you need to manufactor production for, not "I'm going to enter the game and I know that my guy can do it all so I have nothing to worry about. I can work on scheming other players open instead because my #1 WR is going to dominate defenses no matter what route or play call." 

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Exactly. There’s no Joe Thomas this class either.

True, but as long as the top 4 offensive tackles are better than the best wide receiver in this class, which they are, the decision is easy. 

Edited by mek5295

5 minutes ago, mek5295 said:

I paraphrased a lot of it, but I think the point is that there is no "clear cut" bonafide #1 wide receiver in this class. And that's fine- the highest producing receivers in the NFL today are mostly system guys with exception to Julio. But there's no "thoroughbreds" in this class that project as a do-all/win in every single way regardless of coverage, scheme, or allignment in this class. 

True, but as long as the top 4 offensive tackles are better than the best wide receiver in this class, which they are, the decision is easy. 

As long as you realize that’s a personal opinion. Not a fact. That’s ok with me.

5 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Julio Jones wasnt Julio Jones when he was drafted.... noones cant miss when you think about it. Kiper went on about how he wasnt ready when atl took him at 8. 

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

As long as you realize that’s a personal opinion. Not a fact. That’s ok with me.

I don't see it as an opinion at all. I think that it's a preference. Someone can prefer a prospect to another, but it's not an opinion. An opinion (and a misguided one at that) would be that the wide receiver position is more important than the offensive tackle position. 

12 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

Julio Jones wasnt Julio Jones when he was drafted.... noones cant miss when you think about it. Kiper went on about how he wasnt ready when atl took him at 8. 

That’s true now that you mention it. It’s difficult to think back and not get influenced by their pro careers.  Everyone is going to view prospects differently and we won’t know who’s right for another few years. But I have to go back to OBJ to find a WR I liked more coming out then Lamb.

Amari Cooper I believe was the last consensus top 5 pick at WR. Most I believe had him going early. Which he did. And AJ Green. 

Edited by SDotNova

9 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

True but everyone knew that if he developed into what he could be and what he showed flashes of, he would be the do-all, bonafide WR1 that he is today. 

Michael Thomas is one of the most prolific wide receivers in the NFL and I'm sure he wishes he could do what Julio can.

Michael Thomas = "I've mastered my craft within a system that maximizes my strengths. If you sign me, I need to be a movement Z who is utilized in the slot a lot in order to create mismatches on crossers, because I run that route better than anyone else out there"

Julio Jones = "put me in any scheme and ask me to run any route, I'll dominate either way"

Nothing wrong with either. It's like how Darnold is not a system QB yet Tom Brady for the most part was. It's just harder to find the guys who are do-alls than it is to find scheme specific guys

13 minutes ago, mek5295 said:

I don't see it as an opinion at all. I think that it's a preference. Someone can prefer a prospect to another, but it's not an opinion. An opinion (and a misguided one at that) would be that the wide receiver position is more important than the offensive tackle position. 

Preference is an opinion of what you prefer. And I don’t think that any of us wanting a WR over an OT are saying WR is more important as you say. For me why I prefer a WR over an OT (I’ll be happy if we draft an OT) is I feel the need for a WR on this roster is higher than that of an OT. And there’s 3 guys worthy of the 11th pick. It’s a preference of who you like out of them.

But it is not a fact that the 4 OTs in this class are better than any of the WRs. Totally can be your opinion and preference, and I respect that. But it’s not a fact.