2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

9 minutes ago, mek5295 said:

In 2008, everyone wanted Vernon Gholston. Look how that turned out. 

Untrue.  There were passionate, heated debates about whether Gholston was going to bust.  It was a very polarizing time.  I'd say the majority (at least on the message boards I was then using) wanted no part of Gholston.  I was not a fan of the pick at all.  More than one scouting report, in fact most, mentioned his taking plays off constantly and lack of motivation.  It was a controversial pick for the entire month leading up to the draft, IIRC.

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Can you point to an nfl evaluator that has all 4 tackles ahead of every single WR? I only know of one. PFF (no OT above the 1st WR), Jeremiah (only Becton above the 1st WR), ESPN (no OT above the 1st WR), NFL.com (only Wills above the 1st WR), TDN (no OT above the 1st WR), SI (no OT above the 1st WR), Matt Miller (no OT above the 1st WR).

Gil Brandt has 4 OT 7-10 followed by Lamb and Jeudy at 11 and 12. He’s the only one I know of. It’s actually more common to find an analyst that has a WR above all OT then to find an analyst that has all 4 OT above all WR.

Gil Brandt and Daniel Jeremiah are the only talent evaluators on this list. And Jeremiah has gone on record that his board has a media factor to it- has said if he was working for a specific team, his board would look very different. It's easy to operate from within a vacuum. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dcat said:

Well as to the WR eval, you and I totally disagree.  But that's ok.  And, the same arguments can be made about the OT class too (rd 1 vs rd 2).  In some ways, the Jets, as usual, are between a rock and a hard place. You can thank Rex, Tannenbaum, Idzik, Bowles and Mac for all of that, because those five idiots controlled all of it.  Now do people understand just why Gase made himself invisible at last year's draft?  He was given no say or control and Mac, with his moronic "safe bet" policy, missed out yet again on filling important needs.  Gase separated himself from that literally and visually.  It is what led to Mac's removal.  He completely botched last year's draft, likely turned down offers for #3 merely because they were below "chart" value.   

Good riddance.  Let's hope Mac never comes out of stay-at-home-quarantine.  Wish he was there in our last 2 drafts.

Oh don’t get me wrong I think JJ/Lamb/Ruggs are the top three prospects but there’s so much talent in the later rounds not just the first. 

Your right we’ve been shafted so many times and we’ve all become accustomed to poor drafts.

As a bit of nostalgia I watched the 2008 Jets Titans game highlights on YouTube. We should of made the playoffs at a minimum that year before the Fabre implosion. Just imagine what would would of happened. Mangini would of stayed and perhaps drafted better. 

Then again those two AFCCG runs with Rex were ******* beautiful. 

6 minutes ago, mek5295 said:

I must be honest. I don't think you've ever watched Becton. Becton's feet are faster than Thomas's. I also don't think Douglas gives a lick about specific drills. He's a scout first and foremost. He has said he puts a premium on the tape and has gone on record that the underwear olympics is to cross T's, dot I's, and use it to evaluate medically and see how competitive guys are. So for that I don't really think a specific drill matters. Ronnie Stanley's 3-cone was poor- but he was a dancing bear on tape and is now one of the best tackles in the league. Also, stop with your defamation. "He probably didn't run it because it would hurt his stock". This is total HS. The guy got injured in the COD Wave Drill (not that you would know what that is), which he was crushing. Put some respect in the guys name. 

Stop trying to pigeonhole a narrative that fits your own agenda. You should be ashamed of being "a mod". Totally unprofessional. 

You make some really good points here.  I'm going to go watch more Becton, but one thing for sure... I, for one, never questioned his feet.  For a huge man... his footwork actually looked surprisingly good and quick when I watched him.  Not so Wills.  I'll lay odds that Wills winds up being a great guard in the NFL.

P.S.  You might want to reconsider your closing sentence. That's kind of a personal attack on Bobby, no?

Edited by dcat

18 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

I get the scars run deep but it's completely illogical and unfair to use our historical incompetence against Joe Douglas and the current FO. When you start making decisions fueled by emotion, you start making mistakes.

This is a great post. I want to put it on my wall

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dcat said:

Untrue.  There were passionate, heated debates about whether Gholston was going to bust.  It was a very polarizing time.  I'd say the majority (at least on the message boards I was then using) wanted no part of Gholston.  I was not a fan of the pick at all.  More than one scouting report, in fact most, mentioned his taking plays off constantly and lack of motivation.  It was a controversial pick for the entire month leading up to the draft, IIRC.

I didn’t want Gholston. I remember having the argument with my uncle at the time. I wanted McFadden so badly and was pissed that he went before us.

Neither was the right pick unfortunately 

• Like 1

Just now, dcat said:

You make some really good points here.  I'm going to go watch more Becton, but one thing for sure... I, for one, never questioned feet.  For a huge man... his footwork actually looked surprisingly good when I watched him.

P.S.  You might want to reconsider your closing sentence. That's kind of a personal attack, no?

I'm not attacking anyone. Just pointing out that someone on this board, who claims to have a higher authority than everyone else (he made that clear when I made a playful first post) is literally defaming a guy simply because he doesn't want him. That's shameful. Even if we operate in fantasy land in here, keep in mind this is a 21 year old kid who works his *** off to hone his god given gifts. Saying he probably didn't finish after getting injured because he didn't want to expose himself? Come on. There's a popular saying about assumptions... if you assume, you make an a$$ out of you and me, and that's what our moderator just did... because he doesn't like the guy. 

2 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Oh don’t get me wrong I think JJ/Lamb/Ruggs are the top three prospects but there’s so much talent in the later rounds not just the first

Your right we’ve been shafted so many times and we’ve all become accustomed to poor drafts.

As a bit of nostalgia I watched the 2008 Jets Titans game highlights on YouTube. We should of made the playoffs at a minimum that year before the Fabre implosion. Just imagine what would would of happened. Mangini would of stayed and perhaps drafted better. 

Then again those two AFCCG runs with Rex were ******* beautiful. 

1. True. There is a lot of talent.  No one denies that.  No one says that after the top 3 there is nothing but Idzik-type garbage.  But there is a gargantuan drop off IMO.  The rest are not as close to the top 3 as I think you and many people believe.  JMO again FWIW.

2. I'll never get accustomed to it.  But Ive come to expect it.

3. And after those two runs, then Rex single handedly ruined everything..... (but that's a debate for another day)

4 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I didn’t want Gholston. I remember having the argument with my uncle at the time. I wanted McFadden so badly and was pissed that he went before us.

Neither was the right pick unfortunately 

@dcat you're right I do remember now that many people wanted McFadden and even Sendrick Ellis. It seems as though everyone was wrong that draft. 

1 minute ago, mek5295 said:

@dcat you're right I do remember now that many people wanted McFadden and even Sendrick Ellis. It seems as though everyone was wrong that draft. 

Everyone in this forum wanted McFadden to fall to us. I remember it was probably one of the only drafts where there was a legitimate consensus. Gholston was everyones plan B. 

• Like 1

Just now, KodiakThunder said:

Everyone in this forum wanted McFadden to fall to us. I remember it was probably one of the only drafts where there was a legitimate consensus. Gholston was everyones plan B. 

I was a member of the old site. Were you there under a different name?

1 minute ago, mek5295 said:

I'm not attacking anyone. Just pointing out that someone on this board, who claims to have a higher authority than everyone else (he made that clear when I made a playful first post) is literally defaming a guy simply because he doesn't want him. That's shameful. Even if we operate in fantasy land in here, keep in mind this is a 21 year old kid who works his *** off to hone his god given gifts. Saying he probably didn't finish after getting injured because he didn't want to expose himself? Come on. There's a popular saying about assumptions... if you assume, you make an a$$ out of you and me, and that's what our moderator just did... because he doesn't like the guy. 

I think the posts you’ve made contain great content but at the time of joining there was a little tension here between a few posters in particular.
Your comments can come across as confrontational though so I think it’s best just to take a second before replying. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mek5295 said:

OK.  You are cool in my book.  I use that one in the classroom and Iget blank stares from my students in their 20's .  No clue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dcat said:

OK.  You are cool in my book.  I use that one in the classroom and Iget blank stares from my students in their 20's .  No clue.

His face after presenting it and her face at the end is pure comedy

• Like 1