Texans sign CB Jonathan Banks

jch1911

I went ahead and split this out as a new topic - I'm imagining this is a signing that's going to be on display for a while, so best we have a topic for this.

Don't be afraid to start up a new topic when you get some big news!

- ET

Texans signed CB Johnthan Banks.

The former second-round bust appeared in nine games between the Bucs, Lions and Bears last season. He provides depth for a Texans secondary dealing with injuries to Johnathan Joseph and Kevin Johnson.

I thought I remember him being incredibly slow for a CB.... 

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

I thought I remember him being incredibly slow for a CB.... 

I remember him being pretty slow, but physical. Had a great year for Tampa Bay in their cover 2, but was really exposed outside of that scheme.

Our track record for these in season street FAs tends to be solid (Quentin Demps, John Simon) but I'm not expecting much.

13 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I remember him being pretty slow, but physical. Had a great year for Tampa Bay in their cover 2, but was really exposed outside of that scheme.

Our track record for these in season street FAs tends to be solid (Quentin Demps, John Simon) but I'm not expecting much.

At least he has size.  Not that it matters or anything.

I think it really depends on how he has played... it looks like he is a big physical corner... so Tampa 2 where it tries to bump WRs off their routes / disrupt their timing works for him.  I also saw a lot of speculation that he would be moved to safety.

14 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

I think it really depends on how he has played... it looks like he is a big physical corner... so Tampa 2 where it tries to bump WRs off their routes / disrupt their timing works for him.  I also saw a lot of speculation that he would be moved to safety.

It seems as if that's our philosophy - play physical at the line and competing for the ball. It was the one thing that Kevin Johnson WASN'T doing.

I think I've finally cracked the code behind Rick Smith's scouting philosophy.  Andre Johnson was the best player when he got here.  Jonathan Joseph was his first good free agent signing.   JJ Watt was his best draft pick.  He's pretty much just thrown out the other files in his scouting book at this point and just focusing on the one tab that has worked for him in the past.  Let's have Rick Smith players who's names start with "J", Alex...

Recent Signings

Jordan Todman

Johnthan Banks

Jah Reid

Jones, Andy

First Round Picks

Jadaveon Clowney

Jackson, Kareem

Johnson, Kevin

Players who got 2nd contracts

Jay Prosch

c. J. Fiedorowicz

Jon Weeks

Players He Let Walk (just to throw us off the scent)

a.J. Bouye

John Simon

Offensive Line

Jeff Allen

Julie'n Davenport

Giacomini, Breno (prounouced Jee-oo-co-mean-ee)

Jeff Adams

Jones, Ben

D Line

JJ Watt

dJ Reader

Joel Heath

Safeties

D.J. Swearinger

k. J. Dillon

Jones, Don (not to be confused with punter Donnie Jones)

James, Charles

WR's named Johnson

Andre

Damaris

Bryant

3rd Round Bust Receivers

Jacoby Jones

Jaelen Strong

Unexplainably Long Roster Time

Jesse Nading

Jean, Lestar

Jamison, Tim

Jeff Tarpinian

Jeff Zgonina

Designated Bengal Killer

tJ. Yates

BTW - His "J" file is still smaller than his "Big 10 WRs who can get open against Purdue but nobody else - Must Draft" file.

Illuminati confirmed!

On that one early play he allowed to Cooks he was beat by a couple steps and then was able to use his recovery speed and get into almost perfect position to make the play. That catch looked like a Madden glitch or sumn, and the other few plays appeared to be mostly miscommunication/misreads by both he and Hal. I think if he's here for a while he could be an important piece for us down the stretch.

Archived