Survivor 35

THE DUKE

survivor-35-cast.jpg

They're back in Fiji this year with "Heros vs Healers vs Hustlers".  Starts next Wednesday, and looks like it could be a solid cast.  They didn't get anyone super old and none of them look overly young like 18-19, so maybe the age dynamic won't be as bad as some years.

The way they've shoe-horned some of the people to fit into the Heroes/Healers/Hustlers based on the little bit we know about them was hilarious.

Hopefully this season is better than last, which I found to be fairly mediocre aside from that one noteworthy tribal council where Varner screwed up

The wife and I entered a 16 person pool where we pick 4 players who earn points based on if they do certain things in the show.  Stuff like comp wins, hidden immunity idols found, alliance flipping, etc... with a whole bunch more I don't even know (my wife looked at the details).  $10 each, winner gets 70% of the pool.  We choose:

Ben Driebergen, 34, Marine, Heroes tribe (bottom row, 3rd from left)
Ashley Nolan, 26, Lifeguard, Heroes tribe (top row, 3rd from right)
Cole Medders, 24, Wilderness Therapy Guide, Healers tribe (top row, 5th from left)
Devon Pinto, 23, Surf Instructor, Hustlers tribe (top row, 2nd from right)

We were going to go with 2 guys and 2 girls, but after watching the little 2 minute into videos they did, we didn't get a great vibe from most of them.  Almost went with former NFL CB Alan Ball, but I think if he doesn't tell them right away he'll get recognized (I recognized the name if not the face right away) so he may be a big early target.  No one in the pool can choose the exact same 4 people but we managed to get a foursome no one else had yet (and I think we were the last ones in).  I figure the lifeguard and surf instructor are going to be good at the water based comps and they seemed generally athletic as well.  The Wilderness Therapy Guide seemed intelligent, likable, will likely be good around camp (fire, gathering, building), and is jacked to boot.  The marine seemed a good mix of cocky but disciplined enough to hold back to where I could see him running things early to accrue a good amount of points, even if I don't see him winning.  My preseason pick to win is Pinto.  A physical threat, but far from the biggest guy and came across laid back enough to not rock the boat.  This will all obviously change once the show airs and we get a better read on the players though.

On 9/21/2017 at 11:55 AM, THE DUKE said:

survivor-35-cast.jpg

They're back in Fiji this year with "Heros vs Healers vs Hustlers".  Starts next Wednesday, and looks like it could be a solid cast.  They didn't get anyone super old and none of them look overly young like 18-19, so maybe the age dynamic won't be as bad as some years.

Did you guys know that dalton was going to be on this years show?  Maybe why he hasn't started well?

Interesting play by Alan Ball first up to act crazy just to draw attention to a potential budding power couple.

I can already tell I'm not going to like a couple of the guys - the red head came across sleezy and untrustworthy in the little they showed of him and the parole officer dude seems like he might be trying too hard using his shtick that he'd normally use on his parolees 

I'm feeling good about my picks so far through 2 episodes.  Devon is a comp beast whom everyone on the Hustlers tribe likes, Ashley got the next target in the heroes tribe moved off her or JP and on to Alan with his calling them out on nothing.  Ben the Marine is well like and has been solid in challenges so far, and the Cole is in with the guy with the hidden immunity idol and may build trust with everyone else if he turns on him which he might based on the previews for next weeks episode.

Neither of the women voted off so far seem of much consequence to the game.  The group of women in total in this years game seems weaker than most years.  No real strong or manipulative personalities as of yet, but it's still early.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Anyone else watching this season?  It's been one of the best in a while.  Tons of gameplay, no real dominant threat and yet no real duds either.  Great cast.

Up until this week's double episode, I'd argue the opposite.  I (and pretty much everyone else on two different forums I frequent that have a thread discussing this season) have found it quie boring - I even said it was the most boring season since the one that Fabio won.

The events of the double episode certainly stepped up the gameplay though

• 2 weeks later...

This season has been picking up steam heading into the finale but I feel like some of the cast has been really disappointing. If you had told me after episode 1 that Chrissy and Ryan were heading to the finale I would’ve thought that they had steam rolled everyone. Now I just think they are goats for either Ben or Devon to beat in the final tribal.

On 12/15/2017 at 3:03 PM, panther dude said:

Are people actually impressed with Ben? I thought he was good until his alliance fell apart and now the show is just feeding him idols. It feels very Big Brother.

Everyone in this cast has fallen prey to awful gameplay at some point in time. Ben is the only one left on the island who found an idol clue without having it hand delivered to him (Ryan). Mike’s idol was found because Jessica knew where to look based on how Joe found his. So slightly impressed. Though his antics make him a bigger target so he’ll have to win out on immunity challenges to get to final 3

Archived