Redskins sign CB Ronald Darby 1 year 4 Mil

ovfd55

4 hours ago, offbyone said:

There has been a bunch of CBs available.  If Darby won't do a deal, you do a deal with another.  Why sign a free agent at all to a position of need if you don't want them to stick around?

The question we should all be asking is whether we are improving our team long term during this offseason.  And 1 year deals do not accomplish that.  I have no problem with a few stop gaps and prove it deals, but other than Fuller that is all we have done.  You can keep spinning this in a positive way, but the facts are plain.  Rivera is setting us up for a huge amount of turn over next season.  That is just the facts.  It isn't the end of the world, but it surely isn't something we should be patting him on the back for.

Why get locked into a bad long term contract on any player?

We don’t know which corners were open to coming here.

Evaluate them for a year.

We don’t know about the turn around. Frankly it’s all a guess at this point.

We will improve the team long term through the draft. Free agents aren’t the way to build a team, I thought we learned that last decade.

Edited by turtle28

12 minutes ago, offbyone said:

There has been a bunch of CBs available.  If Darby won't do a deal, you do a deal with another.  Why sign a free agent at all to a position of need if you don't want them to stick around?

The question we should all be asking is whether we are improving our team long term during this offseason.  And 1 year deals do not accomplish that.  I have no problem with a few stop gaps and prove it deals, but other than Fuller that is all we have done.  You can keep spinning this in a positive way, but the facts are plain.  Rivera is setting us up for a huge amount of turn over next season.  That is just the facts.  It isn't the end of the world, but it surely isn't something we should be patting him on the back for.

I've been against this off season too a lot to do with the 1 year deals and backups we've been signings so I took a step and try to figure out why this approach to the off season.The thing that made the most sense to me is Rivera is using this year to establish his culture of Competing and Hard work,by signings a bunch of guys to 1 year prove it deals them guys are going to come in and practice hard and push our young squad to do the same.In Rivera's eyes I'm guessing we are getting more people who going to play like there career and money's on the line.If they work out great we can try to sign them or they walk and possible get comp pick back,if they Suck we can get rid of them for no cost.

Since this is a Darby thread though,This might be one of my favorite signings so far getting a 26 year old with 56 Starts 65 pass deflections 8 ints and isn't a terrible tackler for a 4 mil dollar deal isn't bad at all.If Healthy we got a 16 game starter for 4 mil

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

I've been against this off season too a lot to do with the 1 year deals and backups we've been signings so I took a step and try to figure out why this approach to the off season.The thing that made the most sense to me is Rivera is using this year to establish his culture of Competing and Hard work,by signings a bunch of guys to 1 year prove it deals them guys are going to come in and practice hard and push our young squad to do the same.In Rivera's eyes I'm guessing we are getting more people who going to play like there career and money's on the line.If they work out great we can try to sign them or they walk and possible get comp pick back,if they Suck we can get rid of them for no cost.

Since this is a Darby thread though,This might be one of my favorite signings so far getting a 26 year old with 56 Starts 65 pass deflections 8 ints and isn't a terrible tackler for a 4 mil dollar deal isn't bad at all.If Healthy we got a 16 game starter for 4 mil

Thank you! That’s what I realized too after the first few days of free agency and when the deals for cheaper vets started flowing in.

It’s about evaluation. Everyone is going to be competing for their spots, nothing guaranteed, the best competition amongst a lot of young talented players trying to prove themselves and some young vets that want to prove they still belong or that they should be starters too.

It’s not the worst plan for the first year of a new regime.

Maybe next year we will sign a few FAs on both sides that really make a difference- if we need to bc these young guys or the other FAs we’ve signed on shorter deals don’t step up.

23 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

And a guy who wants to be here. Kinda left that out, big difference.

Oh, and let the record show that Darby played 20 games over the last two years plus he played in the playoffs.

Dunbar only played in 18 games the last two years...

So, yeah, there’s that...

Dunbar never said he wasn't gonna play the final year of his deal out. Yet they give money that could've been added to Dunbar's deal to someone else. That's what Dunbar post said. The sameway Teams restructure deals to give extensions, Teams could do that to add money to a players final year of a deal. Redskins are choosing not to do that. While your with it, EVERYONE isn't. Accept that and stop tryna defend a position I don't Agree with. 

30 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Dunbar never said he wasn't gonna play the final year of his deal out. Yet they give money that could've been added to Dunbar's deal to someone else. That's what Dunbar post said. The sameway Teams restructure deals to give extensions, Teams could do that to add money to a players final year of a deal. Redskins are choosing not to do that. While your with it, EVERYONE isn't. Accept that and stop tryna defend a position I don't Agree with. 

Really? What does trade me or release me mean to you? It certainly doesn’t say I can’t wait to play the last year of my contract in DC!

Come on dude!

Hint hint, Dunny didn’t want to play in DC anymore & didn’t want to play for Rivera. I wish he did, I wanted him to play the final year of his career in DC and earn a contract extension with the Redskins. Sadly, he didn’t want to do that.

Also, what I’m saying isn’t an opinion, it’s what happened. You’re giving alternative facts that don’t link up with what happened. I can’t help that.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Really? What does trade me or release me mean to you? It certainly doesn’t say I can’t wait to play the last year of my contract in DC!

Come on dude!

Hint hint, Dunny didn’t want to play in DC anymore & didn’t want to play for Rivera. I wish he did, I wanted him to play the final year of his career in DC and earn a contract extension with the Redskins. Sadly, he didn’t want to do that.

Also, what I’m saying isn’t an opinion, it’s what happened. You’re giving alternative facts that don’t like up with what happened. I can’t help that.

Hint Hint, look at his contract. He was underpaid compared to his play. At least see if offering him a little more cash would make him happy. Don't just trade him away because he complained! 

Then instead of signing a Breeland or Logan you sign a guy who is injury prone Darby! Keep defending them @turtle28 I won't! 

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

Hint Hint, look at his contract. He was underpaid compared to his play. At least see if offering him a little more cash would make him happy. Don't just trade him away because he complained! 

Then instead of signing a Breeland or Logan you sign a guy who is injury prone Darby! Keep defending them @turtle28 I won't! 

He wasn’t based on an experts opinion - Shawn Springs. Dunny signed a contract, he should honor that and he’s actually still being forced to go sit that contract just playing for Seattle and not in DC. He forced his way out of DC, he thought he could force them a new contract that the Redskins didn’t think he had earned. Now, maybe if he had played 16 games or close to that - instead of half of a season - and at a high level he would’ve gotten the contract extension he wanted but he didn’t do that. He thought he had leverage that he didn’t, just like Trent.

Why give a guy who can only play 1/2 the games a huge pay raise?

That’s a bad use of salary cap space. He didn’t earn it and left the record show that Darby will make essentially he same as what Dunny will this year so they didn’t give out new money that they weren’t given Dunny. They’re giving Darby the same $.

Again, he didn’t want to play here. He didn’t want to play another down for the Redskins and he didn’t earn a huge raise bc of all the time he missed.

I’m not sure why that’s not obviously seen by everyone. I loved Dunny, I love underdogs, I loved his story & his work ethic but missing 14 of 32 of the games that you’ve starred in the NFL over the last two years is not earning a new contract is most reasonable people’s view.

I wish Dunny had come in this offseaon, bought in, went to work and earned that new contract he wants and from us, he didn’t want to do that and instead, he said trade me or release me. He and Trent are doing the same thing. Neither went about earning a new contract the right way IMO bc they were already under contract, under a contract they knew what it was when they signed it.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He wasn’t based on an experts opinion - Shawn Springs. Dunny signed a contract, he should honor that and he’s actually still being forced to go sit that contract just playing for Seattle and not in DC. He forced his way out of DC, he thought he could force them a new contract that the Redskins didn’t think he had earned. Now, maybe if he had played 16 games or close to that - instead of half of a season - and at a high level he would’ve gotten the contract extension he wanted but he didn’t do that. He thought he had leverage that he didn’t, just like Trent.

Why give a guy who can only play 1/2 the games a huge pay raise?

That’s a bad use of salary cap space. He didn’t earn it and left the record show that Darby will make essentially he same as what Dunny will this year so they didn’t give out new money that they weren’t given Dunny. They’re giving Darby the same $.

Again, he didn’t want to play here. He didn’t want to play another down for the Redskins and he didn’t earn a huge raise bc of all the time he missed.

I’m not sure why that’s not obviously seen by everyone. I loved Dunny, I love underdogs, I loved his story & his work ethic but missing 14 of 32 of the games that you’ve starred in the NFL over the last two years is not earning a new contract is most reasonable people’s view.

I wish Dunny had come in this offseaon, bought in, went to work and earned that new contract he wants and from us, he didn’t want to do that and instead, he said trade me or release me. He and Trent are doing the same thing. Neither went about earning a new contract the right way IMO bc they were already under contract, under a contract they knew what it was when they signed it.

Blah Blah Blah Blah. And you replace Dunbar with Darby not a Breeland or Logan. Smh!!! Keep defending these types of moves but please don't complain when they don't Win any SuperBowls or make Playoffs. 

#FACTS Dunbar is better than Darby. It would've been better to see the Skins give Dunbar that 4 million to stay rathen than pay a worst more injury prone player. 

It's right for Us to keep overpaying a aging less effective Kerriagn but when a under paid player steps up and wants more money he's out of line. Save that BS. We all know there are screws on the business side of professional football. Like how Teams get to release players before contracts are up, but yet Player's can't ask for trades or upgrades. This is kinda like that. As said while I understand Rivera wanting to Change Culture just trading away player's unhappy about the Business side of Football I don't Agree with. Until Trent and Dunbar started not participating in Mandatory Meetings, Practice, ect they would've remained Skins. While I would've hoped to come to a extention with both midway through the 2020 season or traded them then. 

Edited by Skins212689

31 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Blah Blah Blah Blah. And you replace Dunbar with Darby not a Breeland or Logan. Smh!!! Keep defending these types of moves but please don't complain when they don't Win any SuperBowls or make Playoffs. 

#FACTS Dunbar is better than Darby. It would've been better to see the Skins give Dunbar that 4 million to stay rathen than pay a worst more injury prone player. 

You always change the topic when you know you’ve lost an argument, it’s interesting.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You always change the topic when you know you’ve lost an argument, it’s interesting.

It's no agrument that Logan, Breeland, and Dunbar are better than Darby! Nor is Darby less injury prone than Dunbar, Logan, or Breeland. 

Edited by Skins212689
  • Like 1

I like this signing, just because Darby seemed to be on some kind of a real nice trajectory before Buffalo sent him away. The Eagles thought they were getting a true #1, and even though he didn’t play like that there, we know he has that ability. Might as well take a shot that he can recover some of that in this defense.

I’d sign another veteran, honestly. Just make it a big competition, see who’s left standing at the end of camp. It’s such an unreliable position with such unstable performance from year to year, see who’s feeling good and playing well in August and September and roll with the hot hand. 

Also, Shawn Springs is a dope if he thinks Dunbar was a below-average CB. Point blank, period. The kid can play. He’s unreliable from an injury standpoint, and he’s a whiny punk (which I didn’t know until a month or two, but is clearly true). But if he’s “below-average,” I’d hate to know how the rest of the CBs we’ve had here the last decade or so would rate on the Shawn Springs rating scale. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 4

Just now, Skins212689 said:

It's no agrument that Logan, Breeland, and Dunbar are better than Darby! 

But we also don't know whether or not any of them wanted to be here.  Or if the Redskins wanted someone on a one year deal, and Darby was the only one agreeable to that.  

Though this doesn't inspire me at all.  Adding guys who are just as injury prone doesn't move the needle for me, especially one I've seen get burned by us quite frequently.  I do like the idea of adding some veterans to push the younger guys. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I like this signing, just because Darby seemed to be on some kind of a real nice trajectory before Buffalo sent him away. The Eagles thought they were getting a true #1, and even though he didn’t play like that there, we know he has that ability. Might as well take a shot that he can recover some of that in this defense.

I’d sign another veteran, honestly. Just make it a big competition, see who’s left standing at the end of camp. It’s such an unreliable position with such unstable performance from year to year, see who’s feeling good and playing well in August and September and roll with the hot hand. 

Also, Shawn Springs is a dope if he thinks Dunbar was a below-average CB. Point blank, period. The kid can play. He’s unreliable from an injury standpoint, and he’s a whiny punk (which I didn’t know until a month or two, but is clearly true). But if he’s “below-average,” I’d hate to know how the rest of the CBs we’ve had here the last decade or so would rate on the Shawn Springs rating scale. 

I doubt we add another guy in free agency. We now have Darby added on the outside, the Swiss Army knife Kendall Fuller and Moreau who has flashed the last two years and started to emerge the second half of last year once he finally recovered from his ankle injury and got to play his natural position on the outside when he replaced Norman.

Moreau even w/o improving this offseason is a debatable starter level corner as is, he showed that the second half of last year. I just don’t know that they add another FA. 

Fuller, Darby, Moreau & Moreland is maybe not a great top 4, but there’s potential there for it so be solid especially w/ Chase Young, Kerrigan & Sweat rushing the passer on the edge & Allen, Ioannidis & Payne rushing on the interior.

Edited by turtle28