A plea to my fellow Rams fans...

Non-Issue

1 minute ago, Non-Issue said:

The Browns are every bit as relevant to the discussion as the 98 Rams.

Jrry, I get it. You're in. Its okay. Nobody is trying to hold you back.

I'm all in. Don't forget to reserve your seat on the bus. You don't want it to take off without you!

P.S. The Browns sucking year after year aren't as relevant to a discussion about whether a team can change its culture from a winner to a loser in a short period of time as a team that actually did exactly that. Do the Browns suck because of culture, bad leaderships, a lack of talent, etc.? It's hard to pinpoint a single cause. What we can definitively say is that the 1999 Rams developed a winning culture immediately. We can say the same things about many other teams.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I'm all in. Don't forget to reserve your seat on the bus. You don't want it to take off without you!

P.S. The Browns sucking year after year aren't as relevant to a discussion about whether a team can change its culture from a winner to a loser in a short period of time as a team that actually did exactly that. Do the Browns suck because of culture, bad leaderships, a lack of talent, etc.? It's hard to pinpoint a single cause. What we can definitively say is that the 1999 Rams developed a winning culture immediately. We can say the same things about many other teams.

A short period of time being three games?

5 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

Do you think it is likely it took 3 games?

I don't know. Considering they kept right on winning, I think you could argue it happened before they had played any games. The truth is that the only guys who could tell you are the guys who played on the 99 Rams. And when you listen to their interviews, it doesn't sound like it look long for them to realize how good they were.

In my experience, it takes time to build a winning culture. To eliminate a losing culture and build a winning one. Are there exceptions? Of course. Exceptions prove the rule. I dont base my hopes and expectations on exceptions. Not after 3 games. And I dont recommend anyone else either.

It's no sweat off my forehead either way. I just dont want to hear people threatening to jump off a building if we go out and stink it up in the next few weeks. I view those ups and downs as inevitable. I think it's logical to expect those ups and downs. Particularly given the teams situation.

If we beat expectations, great. Prove me wrong with a Lombardi. Let me be wrong every year. <shrug>

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't know. Considering they kept right on winning, I think you could argue it happened before they had played any games. The truth is that the only guys who could tell you are the guys who played on the 99 Rams. And when you listen to their interviews, it doesn't sound like it look long for them to realize how good they were.

So did they develop a winning culture? Or were they riding Warners coat tails? There is a difference, right? Because that winning culture seemed to go bye bye pretty quickly. And it has stayed away ever since.

It almost sounds like you really dont buy into the whole "culture/mentality" thing. Would that be fair to say?

37 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

So did they develop a winning culture? Or were they riding Warners coat tails? There is a difference, right? Because that winning culture seemed to go bye bye pretty quickly. And it has stayed away ever since.

It almost sounds like you really dont buy into the whole "culture/mentality" thing. Would that be fair to say?

There's not a difference. Winning cultures always go bye bye when your talent and coaching go bye bye. Yes, they developed a winning culture.

I do buy into culture, but I don't buy into culture as something that never goes away once you have it. I also don't buy into culture as something that must be developed. I think it's the product of the right leadership and the right talent.

Just now, jrry32 said:

There's not a difference. Winning cultures always go bye bye when your talent and coaching go bye bye. Yes, they developed a winning culture.

I do buy into culture, but I don't buy into culture as something that never goes away once you have it. I also don't buy into culture as something that must be developed. I think it's the product of the right leadership and the right talent.

So if a "winning culture" is only there when you are winning, it is really a culture? Or is it just winning? 

And come on, jrry, nobody said anything about it "never" going away.

21 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

So if a "winning culture" is only there when you are winning, it is really a culture? Or is it just winning? 

And come on, jrry, nobody said anything about it "never" going away.

Yes. Because it can last through a down year or two.

The Rams went 64-32 over 6 years, yet you made the argument that the GSOT didn't have a winning culture and just rode the coattails of Warner.

Under Jeff Fisher, Spags, and Linehan...yes, 2-1 we should temper expectations. But not McVay. This is real. I'm not holding back a damn thing. Full steam ahead. I layed $500 on the rams before the season over 5.5 wins and $100 on them to win the NFC West. Looking like a damn genius. Money is already spent. 

Sidenote: I also got $100 on Gurley for MVP and $50 on McVay Coach of the Year. It will happen. I believe in it.

15 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Under Jeff Fisher, Spags, and Linehan...yes, 2-1 we should temper expectations. But not McVay. This is real. I'm not holding back a damn thing. Full steam ahead. I layed $500 on the rams before the season over 5.5 wins and $100 on them to win the NFC West. Looking like a damn genius. Money is already spent. 

Sidenote: I also got $100 on Gurley for MVP and $50 on McVay Coach of the Year. It will happen. I believe in it.

I saw that 5.5 line and wanted it baaaaad......and yet I didn't pull the trigger :(

TST put out an article today stating we should be able to win every game. Not that we WILL, but we have the talent on both sides of the ball and the coaching to go into any stadium and win. And I truly believe that. We are the highest scoring offense in the league after 3 games and we will only become more consistent as weeks go by. I was expecting to this type of production by the end of the season; not this early.

The defense is giving up few passing yards, but a lot of points. What's that tell you? We are giving up big plays, making mistakes on special teams, and allowing teams to run the ball. Can all of this be corrected? Absolutely. And the key to this type of defense is that we are not playing from behind so the pressure is not on Goff to come in and save games. 10-6 is upon us Gents!

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

TST put out an article today stating we should be able to win every game. Not that we WILL, but we have the talent on both sides of the ball and the coaching to go into any stadium and win. And I truly believe that. We are the highest scoring offense in the league after 3 games and we will only become more consistent as weeks go by. I was expecting to this type of production by the end of the season; not this early.

The defense is giving up few passing yards, but a lot of points. What's that tell you? We are giving up big plays, making mistakes on special teams, and allowing teams to run the ball. Can all of this be corrected? Absolutely. And the key to this type of defense is that we are not playing from behind so the pressure is not on Goff to come in and save games. 10-6 is upon us Gents!

I agree. The defensive problems can be corrected. We have to understand that this team is learning a new scheme. Donald this was his 2nd game of the season (we see how Bell is off to a slow start in Pittsburgh and he has had more games played than Donald). Webster, Barron, and Quinn didn't play a single snap in the preseason. Webster has missed two games so far. With all of that going against us, the positives that we are second in the NFC in sacks and have 5 takeaways on defense. The Rams defense has scored 16pts and it nearly should've been 23pts if Robey-Coleman didn't get tackled at the 2yd line. 

The offense is playing lights out and while I don't expect them to lead the NFL in scoring, I do think they could easily finish top 10 in scoring. That's the name of the game is to outscore your opponent and as long as the Rams are moving the football, minimizing mistakes, and scoring enough points to put the team in situations to succeed, the Rams will be fine. So I agree I think the Rams can win 10 games and take the NFC West division. 

Archived