Round 1, Pick 3: Jeff Okudah

Superduperman

Just now, Superduperman said:

That's all hope, what you're saying. Sure, if Hand and Bryant could be healthy and Nick Williams could become a consistent starter that would be great, but I'm not assuming it will happen. And are you saying that Davis should move into the role of Kennard? I don't see that at all. He doesn't have the size to play close to the line.

His best skill set is rushing the passer.  He sucks in coverage so I would use him as a blitzer more than anything.  He is 10lbs lighter than Kennard but would be the best use of his skills. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I’m not as high on our safeties as you seem to be. I still think Killebrew is a better LB than S and I haven’t been impressed by Harris or Walker enough to not consider the position a need. 

I wouldn't be opposed to McKinney or another CB. I'm just saying it looks like they have a serviceable backfield who I would consider solid if they could rush the passer

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Millenhater said:

I’m getting angry flashbacks....

In fairness, last year there were two TE's taken in Round 1 (albeit Fant was taken at #20) and there isn't a guy that has been worth even talking about in this draft so far. 

This is just a guess but Quinn likely banked on trading for Gronk to fulfill that, trade was overturned by Gronk himself; 2018 was a brutal year for what we threw out on the field and he decided to be aggressive at resolving the position. 

I wouldn't be opposed to McKinney or another CB. I'm just saying it looks like they have a serviceable backfield who I would consider solid if they could rush the passer

Agreed, but I don’t see a stand out pass rusher either. I see some good talent but no pass rusher that’s going to make that sort of impact (outside of Chase Young) in this draft. 

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm not suggesting that you're the one making this recommendation but that's an argument you could make against guys like Uche and Baun that have been mocked to us as Jack LB/Edge players. I think Baun is like 235 lbs. 

That's a good point, and I don't want either of those players, but at least they both have played edge. Davis is and always has been a MLB. Honestly I would see if I can get a late round pick for Davis, and if not I'd consider cutting him.

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

Agreed, but I don’t see a stand out pass rusher either. I see some good talent but no pass rusher that’s going to make that sort of impact (outside of Chase Young) in this draft. 

We're talking about a possible generational talent in Young and then comparing him to guys like YGM, Epenesa, etc. The defense doesn't have to be one guy but the sum of parts working well together. 

I'm very high on Marlon Davidson. I wouldn't hate Epenesa and he'd be a great pick but I think MD is a better fit for what we need/want. 

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

You're right, which leaves them in a tough spot again for 2020. Maybe they could sign Clowney to a short term deal? Probably won't happen. It looks like the window has closed for them to trade for Ngakoue.

You're right, which leaves them in a tough spot again for 2020. Maybe they could sign Clowney to a short term deal? Probably won't happen. It looks like the window has closed for them to trade for Ngakoue.

I would LOVE to take a flier on Clowney. Two year contract? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

That's all hope, what you're saying. Sure, if Hand and Bryant could be healthy and Nick Williams could become a consistent starter that would be great, but I'm not assuming it will happen. And are you saying that Davis should move into the role of Kennard? I don't see that at all. He doesn't have the size to play close to the line.

I don’t see it with Davis either.  I will say that Hand was vital to our success.  Oddly enough he was what really made the difference. I don’t think we can count on him to stay healthy but if we can get a similar player or even an upgrade it would do wonders for our D.

6 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

In fairness, last year there were two TE's taken in Round 1 (albeit Fant was taken at #20) and there isn't a guy that has been worth even talking about in this draft so far. 

This is just a guess but Quinn likely banked on trading for Gronk to fulfill that, trade was overturned by Gronk himself; 2018 was a brutal year for what we threw out on the field and he decided to be aggressive at resolving the position. 

I think that’s what happened as well.  I was really high on Hock but not on positional value.  Also the other TE taken was after Denver got a huge trade down...just saying.

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-jeff-okudah-was-as-dominant-at-ohio-state-as-jalen-ramsey-was-at-florida-state

So this goes against @SimbaWho saying he was a one year wonder.  It also shows some pretty elite numbers.  Sure he has had a good pass rush both years as a starter, but even players with good pass rushes give up big plays and he just doesnt.  

K well now your going off numbers vs watching who his competition is, who he plays with and the league he's in. All factors... I'm sure if your a good players on a great defensive team your going to look pretty great.

On top of it all now your blowing out of proportion the I don't think he's worth the 3rd pick and making it seem like I'm calling him a bad player. I think he'll start and be pretty good. Idk if he's worth the 3rd pick. I really don't know if he'd been the pick if Slay wasn't moved.

I don't think he'll be Patrick Peterson which is who he's compared.

I'm more fine with this pick than Derrick Brown. Lol. But to be honest man, I'm just in wait mode with these guys to be fired. I'm waiting for the next rounds of firing/hiring to reignite the fan boy in me. Which I am 80-90% sure that it's coming this season at some point. 

Lions got a raw deal on the scheduling, lol. 

Edited by SimbaWho

Just now, Millenhater said:

I think that’s what happened as well.  I was really high on Hock but not on positional value.  Also the other TE taken was after Denver got a huge trade down...just saying.

All of this is hindsight and I did like Fant but a lot of people around the NFL were high on Hock. Had they taken the Steelers trade and moved down to #20, Hock was likely not going to be there. So you're getting the next best guy, who closely resembles the player you just let go (Ebron) in skillset. TE was as much of a need as DT at the time, even a bit more, as we did have Snacks and A'Shawn coming off of decent seasons. 

6 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Just maybe, there will be some opportunity for a deal in the summer, like what happened with Khalil Mack.  If so, I hope they have the balls this time.

Clowney*mentioned*/Griffin/Golden still available in free agency. 

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1