2020 Round 3, Pick 66: Washington Redskins select WR Antonio Gibson, Memphis

My take: This is a fascinating pick for Washington because of Gibson's versatility. Coach Ron Rivera said he has a skill set similar to Carolina Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey. Though teams projected Gibson as a running back, he's really more just an offensive weapon, because he can play multiple spots. He played receiver in college, lining up mostly in the slot, and also at running back. He's a physical runner at 228 pounds, but he combines that with speed. The Redskins said they could pair him on the field with other running backs, whether that be Adrian Peterson or Derrius Guice. Though Washington now has a crowded backfield, the Redskins were short on healthy dynamic backs. Guice is coming off his third knee injury in two NFL seasons, while last year's fourth-round pick, Bryce Love, is still rehabbing a torn ACL from November 2018.

What's next: The Redskins have five picks on the final day -- two in the fourth round (108 and 142), one in the fifth (162) and two more in the seventh (216 and 229). Of course, if they trade tackle Trent Williams, they could end up with more. That remains their biggest task and they are OK with it lasting beyond this weekend. The Redskins could look for help at cornerback, receiver and tight end, among other areas

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/39879/washington-redskins-2020-nfl-draft-analysis-for-every-pick

• Like 2

Loser: Redskins 

Like the Cardinals, Washington only had one pick during the second night of the draft. But unlike Arizona, the Redskins didn't make the most of their pick. Instead of using the 66th overall pick on either a linebacker or a defensive back, Washington instead chose  former Memphis running back Antonio Gibson, a player that was more productive as a receiver than as a running back during his time with the Tigers.

While Gibson may end up giving the Redskins' offense an added dimension while also making life easier for Dwayne Haskins, Washington is already set at running back and would have been better served using the pick filling one of actual needs. Chase Young was a great start to the draft on Thursday, but with another day in the books, they haven't done much else to address the issues with a roster that played poorly enough to earn the No. 2 overall pick.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-draft-day-2-winners-and-losers-panthers-load-up-on-defense-packers-make-more-head-scratching-moves/

66. Redskins: WR/RB Antonio Gibson, Memphis

Grade: C. Electric playmaker who can hit big plays at WR or RB. Still learning the latter position. Raw game. Didn't have a ton of volume at either spot in college. Burst and long speed are outstanding for a good-sized runner. Other needs were glossed over for Washington though.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2020-grades-and-analysis-for-every-third-round-pick/

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Washington Redskins

Day 1 grade: A-
Day 2 picks: Memphis RB Antonio Gibson (No. 66 overall)
Day 2 grade and analysis: B+
It will be interesting to see how Washington uses Gibson in its offense. Ron Rivera probably sees some Curtis Samuel (who Rivera picked in the second round while in Carolina) in Gibson's game: versatile, strong and fast. Or maybe former Panthers offensive coordinator Scott Turner will use him a bit like he did Christian McCaffrey? Gibson's best position fit may be purely as a running back, though, a power player to take over from Adrian Peterson down the road. There's always a question about whether players like Gibson should be celebrated for their versatility or viewed skeptically because they lack a firm position. Washington did not have a second-round pick because of their 2019 draft-day trade for first-round pick Montez Sweat. While Sweat could be a good player, it is not yet clear whether that move was worth the price.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001111377/article/2020-nfl-draft-day-2-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams

Trying to post some different takes on Gibson for you all.

Also there is this story: 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-third-round-draft-pick-antonio-gibsons-family-has-cheered-washington-generations

Long before Antonio Gibson put on his first Redskins jersey after being selected by Washington in the third round of the 2020 NFL Draft, his grandmother was buried with one. 

Gibson’s mom, Annette Williams, made a surprise appearance on Friday’s “Redskins On The Clock” broadcast and spoke about being born and raised in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Her family, she says, now lives close to FedEx Field. 

“The Redskins was my team coming up,” she said. After living in Georgia for years, she said she’s gravitated toward the Falcons a bit. 

“But my mom, oh my gosh, she’s passed away now, but she would have been so proud,” Williams said. “She was a die-hard Redskin. We even buried her with her jersey.”

• Like 2

Walter's "take"

Washington Redskins: Antonio Gibson, RB/WR, Memphis - D Grade
Antonio Gibson is a dynamic weapon who can go the distance any time he touches the ball. However, he has no true position, so it's difficult to constantly have him on the field. I don't really like the fit here, as the Redskins already had Steven Sims and some promising running backs. Plus, this is a tad too early to take an athlete who isn't a natural football player.

https://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades3.php

66. Washington: WR Antonio Gibson

When healthy, you can argue that scat back Chris Thompson has been one of Washington’s three most valuable offensive players. The problem is Thompson has not been healthy nearly often enough, missing at least five games in each of the last three seasons. So, Washington has drafted a younger version of Thompson; a dynamic receiving back can be a good friend for a young pocket passer like Dwayne Haskins.

GRADE: A-

RedskinsReport: Washington Takes a 'Swiss Army Knife' in Gibson

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/24/nfl-draft-2020-day-2-grades-analysis

66) Washington Redskins: WR Antonio Gibson, Memphis — Is he a receiver or a running back? Gibson split time between the two positions but lined up mostly in the slot. I thought his best fit was at running back, though, so this is interesting. Either way, he’s an eye-opening athlete who struggled with the playbook early at Memphis and remains a bit raw, but his big-play upside is just fascinating. Think Cordarrelle Patterson-ish. Grade: B-.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2020-nfl-draft-day-2-grades-for-every-pick-014402497.html

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If they play him at receiver this makes more sense. If he lines up primarily in the backfield then I absolutely hate this pick. There was just too much talent that could help this team at areas of need to make a pick like this. 

That’s where I am stuck at

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If they play him at receiver this makes more sense. If he lines up primarily in the backfield then I absolutely hate this pick. There was just too much talent that could help this team at areas of need to make a pick like this. 

Everything I've read has him lining up more split out or in the slot. So he can be on the field with a primary back.

I don't know. Seems like a boom or bust pick... boom would be a bigger, faster Chris Thompson. 

Do like that he has A LOT of tread on the tires. 

I like the Idea of the the pick,as a offense that had trouble scoring last season getting a guy that has a chance  go to the house every time he touches it is a good thing.

Think he's a great fit in Turner's offense,will see him in motion a lot I think.

In a Vacuum I like the pick,but knowing our needs and who was left it makes me wonder about what the coaches see looking at the roster compared to what I see.