2020 Round 3, Pick 66: Washington Redskins select WR Antonio Gibson, Memphis

12 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The play I’m talking about is at about 3:31 of this video:

You see he has trouble snapping off the route, it’s really rounded at the top. And then he just looks labored all the way to the house. To me, at least — maybe it’s just different. But it looks like tight hips to me. 

And for the record, all I’m saying is I see why they think he’s more RB than WR. Watch Steven Sims or Terry McLaurin change direction and change speeds — they move like WRs, they can start and stop and gear down quickly and change direction in a hurry. Gibson is more of a full speed ahead player, he’s great at getting up to top speed and he’s excellent at sort of “veering” at full speed to blow past players — but when it comes to being able to throttle down and take the tight curves, he’s not built for that. 

Think of it as the difference between a kick returner and a punt returner. On kick return, you’re basically just looking to get up to full speed and blow through the coverage team. There’s not a ton of turning or reversing direction, you don’t stop and start, you just go and make small adjustments (that “veer” I’m talking about) that make a huge difference when you’re flying at full speed. Punt return is a different animal, you’re doing a lot more of the dancing, dodging, weaving, etc. Not a big surprise to me that they had this guy returning kickoffs but not punts.

Or if it’s a better example, the difference between RGIII and Lamar/Vick. They’re all similarly “fast” — but even before the injury, RGIII was fast in a sort of stiff, straight-line, track star kind of way. And those other guys will kill you with their ability to stop and start and change direction. 

I still like the pick. I don’t love it because I don’t think it was great value, but I love the player. I just think he’s going to have to be a good bit more RB than WR for now, and hopefully they’ll be taking a look at some ways for the S&C team to help loosen him up in the middle body a little. Could unlock even more ability for him.

Funny- you see that and I see --"Hey man , I'm scoring and ain't a thing you can do" . He had the end zone and kinda "shagged" his way in- a bit of mustard on the hot dog. That was my impression unless he pulled a hambone or something . Hell -I don't know ..

• Like 1

I really don't think it matters what ”category” they put Gibson in. He's going to be doing some running back things, and some WR things. He’ll be doing a little of everything.

I do think that Peterson, Guice, Love & McKissic will make the team. If you're just limiting Gibson to snaps as a RB, I don't see enough carries to go around for him there.

That's why he’ll be used in different ways, I don't know how many carries he’ll get, but I have to believe it won't be over 100. I think you're looking at most 150 total touches from him between RB & as a receiver. He’ll probably be our kick returner too, while Steven Sims will remain our punt returner.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

So Gibson was picked pretty high.  What is the litmus test for this pick being successful? 

Immediate rotational starter?    500 all purpose yards?  More? 

What do you guys think?

Year one? I just want to see that the explosiveness really is NFL elite (or close). I want to see him break some NFL tackles, blow by some NFL defenders, make some big plays on offense or on special teams. 

It’s gonna be a little bit of a process with him, I think, in terms of really maximizing what he can be. He’s really raw, so there’s work to do on his end, and the offensive staff is going to have to do some experimenting in order to land on the right way(s) to use him. So for me, year one is going to be about seeing the flashes of what he’s going to be — sort of like we’ve gotten from Guice when he’s been on the field, flashes of the world class ability.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Year one? I just want to see that the explosiveness really is NFL elite (or close). I want to see him break some NFL tackles, blow by some NFL defenders, make some big plays on offense or on special teams. 

It’s gonna be a little bit of a process with him, I think, in terms of really maximizing what he can be. He’s really raw, so there’s work to do on his end, and the offensive staff is going to have to do some experimenting in order to land on the right way(s) to use him. So for me, year one is going to be about seeing the flashes of what he’s going to be — sort of like we’ve gotten from Guice when he’s been on the field, flashes of the world class ability.

I agree with that, I just hope we see more flashes, from both Gibson & Guice actually.

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

So Gibson was picked pretty high.  What is the litmus test for this pick being successful? 

Immediate rotational starter?    500 all purpose yards?  More? 

What do you guys think?

That’s a really good and tough question. I don’t think Gibson will be a starter this year. There’s no way he’s starting over Peterson and I don’t think he’s ready to be a starter at WR over Harmon, Sims or even a guy like Latimer. 

I think 500 all purpose yards and a few TDs is a fair expectation from him as a rookie but, I could see him getting over 1,000 all-purpose yards if you include kick returns.

I guess I’d break it down like this:

KR: 30 returns, 800 yds, 1 TD

Rushing: 50 carries, 250 yds, 1 TD

Receiving: 40 recs, 350 yds, 1 TD

This pick is more about the future and potential rather than what Gibson will be this year though as E said, same with the AGG pick. Both guys need development. So, if they don’t do much this year we should be patient with their development as both guys will take a few years until they will be what we want them to be - if they even get there.

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, RaykwonDaChef said:

I doubt he gets to 30 KR. Especially if our defense is improved.

Yeah, I didn’t really know what to do with that. I went off of Steven Sims’ # of kick returns last year but I was also thinking it should be less bc hopefully our D is better, but how much less? I have no idea. 

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I didn’t really know what to do with that. I went off of Steven Sims’ # of kick returns last year but I was also thinking it should be less bc hopefully our D is better, but how much less? I have no idea. 

Steven was also the only one to top 30 last year.

I'd be estatic to see anything around 9+ YPCatch and 4.5+ Yards per Carry and more interested in whatever % of his plays result in first downs.

Edited by RaykwonDaChef
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, RaykwonDaChef said:

Steven was also the only one to top 30 last year.

I'd be estatic to see anything around 9+ YPCatch and 4.5+ Yards per Carry and more interested in whatever % of his plays result in first downs.

Yeah, I was looking at other kicker returners and around 20 returns would probably be more likely.

Personally, I don’t think he’s going to get much 1st down snaps at all. Our first down RB will remain Peterson with Guice sprinkled in sometimes. And, I don’t think Gibson will be a starting WR. I think our starting WR opposite Terry will be Harmon, Latimer or even Steven Sims, but most likely Harmon bc of his blocking which will help our running game on the edge.

Edited by turtle28

58 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Yes, year one.  IMO he is almost a 2nd round pick or extremely high 3rd round running back.  Running backs shouldn't have a big learning curve.  Maybe it takes a little longer to develop in the passing game, but you don't pick a guy and call him a running back who can't contribute immediately.

I don't want to compare him to guice, because at this point guice is a dud.

45 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That’s a really good and tough question. I don’t think Gibson will be a starter this year. There’s no way he’s starting over Peterson and I don’t think he’s ready to be a starter at WR over Harmon, Sims or even a guy like Latimer. 

I think 500 all purpose yards and a few TDs is a fair expectation from him as a rookie but, I could see him getting over 1,000 all-purpose yards if you include kick returns.

I guess I’d break it down like this:

KR: 30 returns, 800 yds, 1 TD

Rushing: 50 carries, 250 yds, 1 TD

Receiving: 40 recs, 350 yds, 1 TD

This pick is more about the future and potential rather than what Gibson will be this year though as E said, same with the AGG pick. Both guys need development. So, if they don’t do much this year we should be patient with their development as both guys will take a few years until they will be what we want them to be - if they even get there.

1000 all purpose would make him a big hit imo and it is more than I expect.   

12 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Yes, year one.  IMO he is almost a 2nd round pick or extremely high 3rd round running back.  Running backs shouldn't have a big learning curve.  Maybe it takes a little longer to develop in the passing game, but you don't pick a guy and call him a running back who can't contribute immediately.

I don't want to compare him to guice, because at this point guice is a dud.

1000 all purpose would make him a big hit imo and it is more than I expect.   

Well, as Raykwon rightfully pointed out, I probably went high on what kind of production he will have as a kick returner.

I think 500 all-purpose as a running back & receiver is very likely, and then 500 as a kick returner, with hopefully a TD, or near a TD or 2.

I’m at the point where I don’t really care where he lines up as long as we take advantage of the fact he can line up anywhere. But scouting this guy this season was very fun. Watching him elevate Memphis from the level of excitement on offense was mainly him. I know Memphis is no huge program but this guy is electric with the ball in his hands and I hope we find a way to get this guy plenty of chances to make things happen.

• Like 1