The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I thought you said it had to be a major discount or a rookie deal, lol. 

How does Carr's extension impact us this season, if anything wouldn't it open up more cap space? And is the fact that Russell Wilson is making $24M help the Broncos become major players in free agency? No they lost draft capital going after him, lol. Between Jimmy/Trey the 49ers are at the $35M threshold. 

So what would you do then? Trade Carr and pray we can find someone else?

Technically still true... including Stafford last year and dating back to 2012 Flacco.

I'm just saying the Rams, in my opinion, have a shot this year because they sold their soul for a two-year window before their roster crumbles and they have cap issues, and payment issues for days. Not to mention go multiple years without draft picks which will catch up to them. 

What the Rams have done is the most aggressive "All In" style of all time, probably something we will never see again. They are toast after this season, and it will hurt them in the long run. Still worth it? In hindsight, absolutely. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

Technically still true... including Stafford last year and dating back to 2012 Flacco.

I'm just saying the Rams, in my opinion, have a shot this year because they sold their soul for a two-year window before their roster crumbles and they have cap issues, and payment issues for days. Not to mention go multiple years without draft picks which will catch up to them. 

What the Rams have done is the most aggressive "All In" style of all time, probably something we will never see again. They are toast after this season, and it will hurt them in the long run. Still worth it? In hindsight, absolutely. 

The Rams haven't had a first round pick since they took Jared Goff #1 in 2016 and they've still been one of the best teams in the league during that entire span. They do an excellent job of hitting on their draft picks, despite not having any 1sts, which is one of the reasons they've sustained success for such a long period. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yes good teams aren't built through free agency which is why the teams that regularly spend the most are typically bottom feeders. Outside of Adams who is the best WR in the NFL we only signed one other big ticket free agent. We are also under weird circumstances because we had a ton of roster turnover and are switching regimes. 

We could've signed JuJu and Morgan Moses and still had cap space to spare but chose not to go after either player, lol.

Next year we have about $80 in cap space but that is without Carr's contract, draft picks, and having 20 players under contract.  So give Carr $40 a year and draft picks take about $8 million.  So now we have $32 million to sign 23 players.  $5 million would make a big difference.

26 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Wouldn't that just be the most ironic move for Raider fans.  I want to see us trade him just so I could have a good laugh now.

It would be irony at its finest. This is the reality with the NFL. Chiefs made a decision to pay Mahomes top money but tough decisions had to be made on the roster which include Hill 

Carr is not remotely the player Mahomes is and requires loads of help to elevate his play. We can’t stay competitive paying Carr a 5 year 200 million deal. I can’t believe people were suggesting that for a QB with nearly a 1:1 turnover ratio 

The team we have now would be stacked with a rookie salary QB like the Chargers and Bengals have

Just now, drfrey13 said:

Next year we have about $80 in cap space but that is without Carr's contract, draft picks, and having 20 players under contract.  So give Carr $40 a year and draft picks take about $8 million.  So now we have $32 million to sign 23 players.  $5 million would make a big difference.

How much cap space did we have this year and how many players did we have to sign? So if he says he's not taking less than 40 we should just trade him? Then what?

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

It would be irony at its finest. This is the reality with the NFL. Chiefs made a decision to pay Mahomes top money but tough decisions had to be made on the roster which include Hill 

Carr is not remotely the player Mahomes is and requires loads of help to elevate his play. We can’t stay competitive paying Carr a 5 year 200 million deal. I can’t believe people were suggesting that for a QB with nearly a 1:1 turnover ratio 

The team we have now would be stacked with a rookie salary QB like the Chargers and Bengals have

I'm in the Carr deserves $35M APY camp but I could see him asking for more, especially with the cap projected to skyrocket. The Chargers and Bengals only have that for a couple more years and then they'll be paying their QB's more than whatever we pay Carr this off-season. Realistically though one of Gruden/Mayock's biggest mistakes was probably not committing to Carr earlier. 

8 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

JuJu and Moses signed deals on March 20 and 16 respectively. We didn't target them. So why even bring them up?

It was a representation of what $5 million could change.  Not what we tried to do.  People on here are dealing with salaries that are so big we think that a couple million here and there is not a big deal.  Give me an extra $5 million a year and I can get you an extra starter or decrease the bust rate on FAs substantially so it is very important.  The improvement is magnified the longer you are smart with your contracts.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

So if he says he's not taking less than 40 we should just trade him? Then what?

This is my favorite Derek Carr's fans take... the good ol "You can't get rid of mediocracy because then you'll have less than mediocracy, so you should keep mediocracy until he retires after 16 years".

Well, we're half way there, so maybe Carr fans will get their wish. 

This is my favorite Derek Carr's fans take... the good ol "You can't get rid of mediocracy because then you'll have less than mediocracy, so you should keep mediocracy until he retires after 16 years".

I'm not a Carr Stan-boy, lol, I've been one of his biggest critics. But realistically we're not going to trade him and tank away the season after we just traded our first two picks for Adams.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

We could always inquire about your boy, Tua. Think they'd let him go pretty cheap tbh.

I hope Carr takes 36 or less so we can all get along and say it was a good deal. Because some people are going to defend his contract no matter what.

I'm offering Carr a 2 yr/$70M fully guaranteed extension that's tacked onto his current deal. That way his timeline ends around the same time as Adams.

Just now, NYRaider said:

I'm not a Carr Stan-boy, lol, I've been one of his biggest critics. But realistically we're not going to trade him and tank away the season after we just traded our first two picks for Adams.

We also don't have to bend to his wheel if he's demanding 40M, either. If he threatens a holdout, you call his bluff. Personally, I don't think he would do it. Either he plays his final year at 25M per, or he accepts an extension at 35-36M per. 

We also don't have to bend to his wheel if he's demanding 40M, either. If he threatens a holdout, you call his bluff. Personally, I don't think he would do it. Either he plays his final year at 25M per, or he accepts an extension at 35-36M per. 

Josh McDaniels immediately lost the locker room in Denver which ultimately led to him flaming out because he traded Jay Cutler. I think that we get a deal done soon, $35-37M seems fair for both sides.