Lets Talk the end of Lions/Falcons

TheKillerNacho

10-second runoff due to the refs stopping the clock near the end of the game...  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should the rule be changed?

4 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Okay cool. I'm on the same page as you. As much as I wanted Detroit to lose, I never want a game to end like that. I remember my mood in the fail mary.

However unlikely it would have been for Detroit to convert a 4th and goal with everyone sprinting to get in formation and no time to call a play, they deserve the chance to try. The Stafford magic would have kicked in

And really that's all I'd like to find, because there was a chance. People can argue how large of a chance all they like, there was still a chance. That chance was taken away because an incorrect call was made and reversed. I don't blame the refs for the call but I do blame the rule for taking away that chance. 

Just now, incognito_man said:

Misread it. I disagree with your argument that there wouldn't be a 10s runoff in that case. 10s runoff is due to only the clock being stopped when it shouldn't have been.

Then we can agree on this, because that is incorrect.  A runoff is only applied of the call is reversed.

Just now, incognito_man said:

Misread it. I disagree with your argument that there wouldn't be a 10s runoff in that case. 10s runoff is due to only the clock being stopped when it shouldn't have been.

Right but had they ruled him down, reviewed it and confirmed it Detroit would have had another play, by rule regardless of how much time was left. That's the point is that it's a poorly written rule

The rule:

If a replay review after the two-minute warning of either half results in the on-field ruling being reversed and the correct ruling would not have stopped the game clock, then the officials will run 10 seconds off the game clock before permitting the ball to be put in play on the ready-for-play signal. The defense cannot decline the runoff, but either team can use a remaining timeout to prevent it.

That's why I/we have such an issue with the rule and feel it needs to be changed.

3 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:
8 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Okay cool. I'm on the same page as you. As much as I wanted Detroit to lose, I never want a game to end like that. I remember my mood in the fail mary.

However unlikely it would have been for Detroit to convert a 4th and goal with everyone sprinting to get in formation and no time to call a play, they deserve the chance to try. The Stafford magic would have kicked in

And really that's all I'd like to find, because there was a chance. People can argue how large of a chance all they like, there was still a chance. That chance was taken away because an incorrect call was made and reversed. I don't blame the refs for the call but I do blame the rule for taking away that chance. 

If this was called correctly and the Lions got a 4th down with 8 seconds left, this thread would still exist and instead it would have Falcons fans condemning this rule because "8 seconds isn't enough time to get a play off and we should have won". 

Well it would if we had any Falcons fans on this site

3 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

The rule:

That's why I/we have such an issue with the rule and feel it needs to be changed.

To be fair I forgot about the timeout being able to stop the run-off. I have less of a problem with the rule then. The only way they can change it is to find what the average amount of time in this situation it would take for the offense to run a play. I would not be surprised if 10 seconds is the result. 

The rule book can't have a tiered approach like: If the offense has to run less than 10 yards, run 5 seconds. 10 < x < 20 then 6 seconds. Then each team will be better blah blah. 

This is a terrible misfortune and I wish the Lions never have to be screwed by a rule again like they have. I just don't see how they fix it

6 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

Right but had they ruled him down, reviewed it and confirmed it Detroit would have had another play, by rule regardless of how much time was left. That's the point is that it's a poorly written rule

But the clock would not have stopped in the game and time would run off...

7 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

To be fair I forgot about the timeout being able to stop the run-off. I have less of a problem with the rule then. The only way they can change it is to find what the average amount of time in this situation it would take for the offense to run a play. I would not be surprised if 10 seconds is the result. 

The rule book can't have a tiered approach like: If the offense has to run less than 10 yards, run 5 seconds. 10 < x < 20 then 6 seconds. Then each team will be better blah blah. 

This is a terrible misfortune and I wish the Lions never have to be screwed by a rule again like they have. I just don't see how they fix it

That seems to imply that a team needs to save a timeout in case the officials make the incorrect call on the field.  That can't possibly be the expectation...

Archived