Lets Talk the end of Lions/Falcons

TheKillerNacho

10-second runoff due to the refs stopping the clock near the end of the game...  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should the rule be changed?

1 minute ago, biletnikoff said:

Rule change? Lol

Every rule is worded so they can make any decisions  they want ,any way they want.

Falcons won because  that's what the nfl wanted. It's that simple

The ridiculous thing is that I think it's more of a story if the Lions are the team to beat, rather than the Falcons.

Just now, MookieMonster said:

I think changing it from a 10 second run off to 5 second run off is acceptable. No way a team can line up after the no TD call and run a play in 5 seconds.

I like this. And they still probably can't snap it right when the refs wind the clock, so really, anything 7 seconds or more they would have a chance, which is doable.

Yes. You should not be penalized for officials getting the call on the field wrong.

Had the refs called him short initially, which he was, the Lions hypothetically (albeit very unlikely) could have ran up and gotten a play off.

Is there any definitive minimum time it takes to get a snap off, like how in basketball it takes at least .3s to get a jumper off so a clock stoppage at anything less gets run-off? 

13 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

I think changing it from a 10 second run off to 5 second run off is acceptable. No way a team can line up after the no TD call and run a play in 5 seconds.

I think 5 seconds is too small. I'd love to see some examples of teams getting plays off in 5 seconds (from when the prior play was whistled down). I think it's much more likely that the quickest a team can do that would be in the 6-7 range.

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

For those unaware, this is the rule:

So technically, had the officials made the correct call and then reviewed it, I don't believe the runoff would have occurred. As the rule pretty explicitly states that the runoff occurs on plays in which the call on the field is reversed. So yeah, I'm not a fan of the rule. You're pretty clearly punishing a team for an official's error.

So you're saying that if the play had been ruled correctly in the first place, and then they stopped the clock to review the play and determined the call on the field would stand, that there would not be a 10 second run off?  Doesn't that seem like an unfair way to grant the Lions an extra timeout in a situation where they don't have any and the clock would almost assuredly run out before they would be able to get a final play off?

2 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

So you're saying that if the play had been ruled correctly in the first place, and then they stopped the clock to review the play and determined the call on the field would stand, that there would not be a 10 second run off?  Doesn't that seem like an unfair way to grant the Lions an extra timeout in a situation where they don't have any and the clock would almost assuredly run out before they would be able to get a final play off?

For sure. It seems like a real difficult rule to put together fairy. 

5 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

For sure. It seems like a real difficult rule to put together fairy. 

I can imagine.  I think the 10 second runoff should be required for stopping the clock to review a play, regardless of whether the ruling was determined to be correct or incorrect, unless in the case that changing the ruling on the field would stop the clock in the game itself.  Then start the clock after the ball snaps 

2 hours ago, MookieMonster said:

With how close the Lions all were to the ball, being on the 1 yard line, I think its very plausible they get another play off in 8 seconds if its called down right away.

Agreed. This rule makes total sense if we're talking a play that is 40 yards downfield. While I can't guarantee the Lions could have ran another play in 8 seconds, you're also talking about every player being within roughly 5-10 yards of the line of scrimmage, which certainly makes it feasible that Stafford could have gotten them set and gotten the ball snapped before time expired.

I don't really have an easy solution here though.

I almost think the best bet would have been to rule him short and see if they can get another snap off. If not, you then have all the time in the world to review it as the last play of the game.

3 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Yes. You should not be penalized for officials getting the call on the field wrong.

Had the refs called him short initially, which he was, the Lions hypothetically (albeit very unlikely) could have ran up and gotten a play off.

Is there any definitive minimum time it takes to get a snap off, like how in basketball it takes at least .3s to get a jumper off so a clock stoppage at anything less gets run-off? 

what if he wasn't short initially but they called him short and detroit hustled to run a play, got it off, and didn't score?

The 10 second rule seems like a feasible value to allow the officials to properly spot a ball and get in position. There's no reason I can see to get rid of it. Refs shouldn't be "made" to hustle hustle hustle more than at other points in the game just because one team REALLY wants them to.

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

what if he wasn't short initially but they called him short and detroit hustled to run a play, got it off, and didn't score?

The 10 second rule seems like a feasible value to allow the officials to properly spot a ball and get in position. There's no reason I can see to get rid of it. Refs shouldn't be "made" to hustle hustle hustle more than at other points in the game just because one team REALLY wants them to.

The ball was not far from the hash mark. It wouldn't be a big stress to spot the ball in time.

Archived