Sherman's behaviour

Hunter2_1

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You're fine with players removing their helmet, going after the ref despite being warned, continuing the go after the ref until he's physically dragged back by his team?\

Thank god "fans" like you are few and far between. If you can't see the dangers of this sort of behaviour, then you really are obtuse. 

Where did I say it was fine? Just because I'm not whining about it, doesn't mean it was 'fine' behavior. You make it sound like he was being physical or dangerous, which he clearly wasn't. Yelling at referees is par for the course in just about any sport. 

Your reasoning for his suspension is still nonexistent. You get two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, you get ejected. You lay a hand on a ref, you get ejected. You throw a punch, you get ejected. You don't get suspended for being extra mean.

2 hours ago, showtime said:

I honestly do not understand why we're talking about Richard Sherman's intelligence.  The guy is a professional football player, not a brain surgeon.

I think some people are overreacting to the hit on Marcus Mariota.  I'm fine with a flag, but ejecting him from the game is too much.  If you look at the play, Sherman was running and had squared up when Mariota had one foot out of bounds.  Also, Mariota took off past the line of scrimmage and became a runner.  Had Sherman hit a running back or wide receiver like that, I highly doubt people would want an ejection.  Flag him and give him a personal foul penalty.  Fine him.  But ejection - No.

The second incident (first on the day) is where I wanted him ejected. You cannot chase after officials like that. The sport would cease to exist if everyone behaved like that.

36 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Where did I say it was fine? Just because I'm not whining about it, doesn't mean it was 'fine' behavior. You make it sound like he was being physical or dangerous, which he clearly wasn't. Yelling at referees is par for the course in just about any sport. 

Your reasoning for his suspension is still nonexistent. You get two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, you get ejected. You lay a hand on a ref, you get ejected. You throw a punch, you get ejected. You don't get suspended for being extra mean.

You completely disregarding earlier certainly implied that you're fine with it. 

That's what I'm saying, how he didn't get a second unsportsmanlike baffles me. 

I'm convinced you haven't seen the incidents.

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You completely disregarding earlier certainly implied that you're fine with it. 

That's what I'm saying, how he didn't get a second unsportsmanlike baffles me. 

I'm convinced you haven't seen the incidents.

I'm disregarding it because it doesn't surprise me. Like I said, athletes and coaches yell at refs all the time. Sometimes they get ejected, sometimes they don't. Still not a cause for suspension since there was no physical contact. A second penalty and following ejection is up for debate, but a suspension isn't. 

Has the league ever retroactively reviewed this sort of unsportsmanlike conduct that wasn't called, say it should've been called, say it would've been his second (thus, ejected), and then say we'll suspend him because they didn't call it? Any of the referees could've called it if it was that egregious, which it wasn't IMO.

Immature? Hell yes. Suspension worthy? No. Not unless there's a specific rule or past precedent that would give me cause to believe a suspension is warranted. 

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I'm disregarding it because it doesn't surprise me. Like I said, athletes and coaches yell at refs all the time. Sometimes they get ejected, sometimes they don't. Still not a cause for suspension since there was no physical contact. A second penalty and following ejection is up for debate, but a suspension isn't. 

Has the league ever retroactively reviewed this sort of unsportsmanlike conduct that wasn't called, say it should've been called, say it would've been his second (thus, ejected), and then say we'll suspend him because they didn't call it? Any of the referees could've called it if it was that egregious, which it wasn't IMO.

Immature? Hell yes. Suspension worthy? No. Not unless there's a specific rule or past precedent that would give me cause to believe a suspension is warranted. 

Well, there's two degrees of verbal abuse to officials. Both result in fines. I'm saying that I'd prefer to see him suspended, because that would hurt him more. Might learn how to be a human being. 

17 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

The second incident (first on the day) is where I wanted him ejected. You cannot chase after officials like that. The sport would cease to exist if everyone behaved like that.

I agree, we shouldn't ever allow players to chase after officials and yell at them. It's a great thing other notable players in this league have never done the exact same thing..........(HINT: they have)

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

I agree, we shouldn't ever allow players to chase after officials and yell at them. It's a great thing other notable players in this league have never done the exact same thing..........(HINT: they have)

Where did I say Sherman was the only one? 

(HINT: I didn't)

Just now, Darth Pees said:

It was implied when you said "the sport would cease to exist if everyone behaved like that".

Not everyone behaves like that. It's rare. Sherman is the latest example, and given that it came 10 mins before another distasteful incident, I wanted other opinions. 

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

Not everyone behaves like that. It's rare. Sherman is the latest example, and given that it came 10 mins before another distasteful incident, I wanted other opinions. 

You're right, not everyone does, but there are 'star' players who have, from time to time, acted exactly like that, yet Sherman is the one who gets called an 'ignorant thug' by people. He's no different than the Tom Brady's of the world who do the exact same thing when a call doesn't go their way (see: Brady's reaction after the Luke Kuechly/Rob Gronkowski play a couple years back. He literally chased down Clete Blakeman lol).

I think everyone agrees he went too far on this particular play, and he was flagged for it (as he should have been).

Archived