Early Free Agent Reviews

WindyCity

TE Dion Sims [Positive]

Has not been featured in the passing game, but has been a very strong blocker in the run game and looked very good against Atlanta and Pittsburgh. If you want to run the ball having a TE that can win 1 on 1 blocking against DEs and OLBs is important and he has done that. He is a really good blocker.

WR Markus Wheaton [Negative]

This is effected by injury, but he had a couple of drops on long passes that Glennon finally threw. He has not bee available, which was an issue in Pittsburgh and continues to be. Wheaton getting 6 million guaranteed will seem like a decent size miscalculation if he cannot get going.

WR Kendall Wright [Positive]

I really like what we have seen in the few instances when Glennon throws the ball to a non-RB. He has converted 3rd downs and looks to be open a lot in the slot. Cheap and somewhat productive is a win, considering the QB situation.

S Quentin Demps [Negative]

I have not see anything that has impressed me with this signing. I have seen missed tackles and very few instances where he makes plays in the passing game. I expected a guy to be far more involved in the passing game. Maybe his veteran presence has helped Eddie Jackson, but I have not see the impact I was hoping for.

CB Marcus Cooper [Positive]

I am starting to feel like this could be this years Akiem Hicks. A signing based on what could have been, who out plays what you think. Cooper has looked very good in coverage to this point.

CB Prince Amukamra [Incomplete-Leaning Positive]

Returns from camp were very positive, then he got hurt, and in his first game I was very impressed with what I saw. He contests catches and that is a huge upgrade for the Bears compared to previous years. If he doesn't stay healthy that would be tough, he if doesn't generate some turnovers that would lower my feeling, but right now it looks pretty good.

We know what Mike Glennon would be graded so I am not bringing him up here.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

TE Dion Sims [Positive]

Has not been featured in the passing game, but has been a very strong blocker in the run game and looked very good against Atlanta and Pittsburgh. If you want to run the ball having a TE that can win 1 on 1 blocking against DEs and OLBs is important and he has done that. He is a really good blocker.

I would agree with this assessment. His blocking has been exceptional. He had 6 TD passes last year so I think there is a lot more we can get out of him but this really has more to do with our QB issue. 

WR Markus Wheaton [Negative]

This is effected by injury, but he had a couple of drops on long passes that Glennon finally threw. He has not bee available, which was an issue in Pittsburgh and continues to be. Wheaton getting 6 million guaranteed will seem like a decent size miscalculation if he cannot get going.

I would consider this more neutral than anything. This was his first game back and he should of caught that ball from Glennon which I hated but his speed is elite. We need a QB who can throw it deep more than once a game.

WR Kendall Wright [Positive]

I really like what we have seen in the few instances when Glennon throws the ball to a non-RB. He has converted 3rd downs and looks to be open a lot in the slot. Cheap and somewhat productive is a win, considering the QB situation.

Agreed.

S Quentin Demps [Negative]

I have not see anything that has impressed me with this signing. I have seen missed tackles and very few instances where he makes plays in the passing game. I expected a guy to be far more involved in the passing game. Maybe his veteran presence has helped Eddie Jackson, but I have not see the impact I was hoping for.

Agreed, nothing special. I think age is a factor here as well we keep paying players who are on the wrong side of 30.

CB Marcus Cooper [Positive]

I am starting to feel like this could be this years Akiem Hicks. A signing based on what could have been, who out plays what you think. Cooper has looked very good in coverage to this point.

This is my favorite signing of the year. He keeps getting better and better against opposing WRs. If he can continue to ascend in Hicks fashion we would be very lucky and a nice bullet point on Paces resume.

CB Prince Amukamra [Incomplete-Leaning Positive]

Returns from camp were very positive, then he got hurt, and in his first game I was very impressed with what I saw. He contests catches and that is a huge upgrade for the Bears compared to previous years. If he doesn't stay healthy that would be tough, he if doesn't generate some turnovers that would lower my feeling, but right now it looks pretty good.

Agreed leaning positive but I just know this guy will get injured.

hat Mike Glennon would be graded so I am not bringing him up here.

If we didn't have Mitch I would consider this a terrible signing by Pace and would question his GMship.

53 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

How does Wheaton get a negative and Prince gets and incomplete?

We have seen a super limited sample size

Wheaton missed most of camp and then dropped 2 passes and had 0 catches in 1 game. He has literally only had negative news between injuries and a bad 1st game.

Amukamara had a strong camp and a strong 1st game. He has had positives and negatives.

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We have seen a super limited sample size

Wheaton missed most of camp and then dropped 2 passes and had 0 catches in 1 game. He has literally only had negative news between injuries and a bad 1st game.

Amukamara had a strong camp and a strong 1st game. He has had positives and negatives.

The one catch he dropped he was interfered with do I wouldn't really consider that a drop. 

3 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

The one catch he dropped he was interfered with do I wouldn't really consider that a drop. 

Agreed.  Let's give him the benefit of the doubt here. First game back after breaking his finger in camp (due to the training staff 9_9) and working with Mike Glennon as his QB.  Hard to really rate him a negative considering the above.

Archived