Post-Draft roster, depth chart, etc.

Superduperman

We are still paper-thin at DT. Shelton and Williams are mediocre starters and behind them is next to nothing.

Defensive end has Flowers and a whole lot of "we hope, " and that includes J. Okwara too imo.

Cornerback, receiver, safety, tight end, running backs, I'm totally happy.

Offensive line and linebackers, at least you can say they've got a lot of plausible talent, will have a great competition for starting jobs and a good amount of depth afterward. How high of a level the winners will play on, yet to be seen.

My biggest question is this...is this team more talented than last years? I’m not sure it is. If we we look at this team right after the draft and compare it to last years team right after the draft, then I’d say no. Are we set up better for the future? I believe so.  I’m going to be really interested in 2020z

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Superduperman said:

We are still paper-thin at DT. Shelton and Williams are mediocre starters and behind them is next to nothing.

Defensive end has Flowers and a whole lot of "we hope, " and that includes J. Okwara too imo.

Cornerback, receiver, safety, tight end, running backs, I'm totally happy.

Offensive line and linebackers, at least you can say they've got a lot of plausible talent, will have a great competition for starting jobs and a good amount of depth afterward. How high of a level the winners will play on, yet to be seen.

I’m concerned about the defensive line as well. Given the steps taken it looks like they will be using a three man line more often with Shelton as NT. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Quinn signs another DT or trades for one.

I didn’t really like the Swift puck initially because so often this team drafts a good player but fails to put them in a position to succeed. I was thrilled they got two OG that run block well. That really made the draft to me. 

Maybe, just maybe zstafford will have a running game.

• Like 1

I’m worried about the WR core (Among other positions).  We have our top three but Amendola is old and usually gets injured.  Marvin is getting old and I don’t think he’s been able to  finish the last two seasons.  Not to mention all three of them are free agents next year.  Allison is decent depth but I don’t really think there’s anyone on the roster that makes any other team but the Lions.  Really wish we would have been able to take advantage of the depth of this draft but it didn’t really fall that way.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that the defense will be an assembly of true DEs on one end (Flowers, R.Okwara), nose tackles (Shelton, Penisini) and versatile DLinemen (Williams, Hand, Bryant, Cornell), with a bunch of JACK-types on the other edge (Collins, J.Okwara, Jarrad Davis). I don't think that there's a set "front" or "formation", and I think that suits Patricia just fine.

I really do like the secondary: I think Harmon is ready to emerge as a steady centerfielder, with Tracy Walker and Will Harris rotating at the other safety spot. I also don't think we've had a CB group like this is quite some time, with (at the least) two solid starters, a pretty good slot player and a quality/upside development piece.

But, man... if we can run the ball...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Millenhater said:

I’m worried about the WR core (Among other positions).  We have our top three but Amendola is old and usually gets injured.  Marvin is getting old and I don’t think he’s been able to  finish the last two seasons.  Not to mention all three of them are free agents next year.  Allison is decent depth but I don’t really think there’s anyone on the roster that makes any other team but the Lions.  Really wish we would have been able to take advantage of the depth of this draft but it didn’t really fall that way.

A better WR would of been nice but Cephus is a tad underrated. Yeah his 40 at the combine was bad but he ran much better at his pro day. I see a bit of Boldin in him actually. 

Was looking at Jahlani Tavai stats and noticed he was only getting around 2 tackles a game. As a mlb that worries me. I know he only played 52% of snaps last year and well probably see that jump to 65%-75%, but the lack of being around the ball worries me. He did have one 10 tackle game and he did play 68% of the snaps that game. vs MIN. Anyone notice anything?