Carpenter: Growing sense of Smith promotion to GM

I've posted in the Day 3 thread that a few of the writers are praising the rapport between Ron Rivera and Kyle Smith.  Les Carpenter ran a similar article for the Washington Post, and a source expects an official promotion for Kyle Smith soon, as well as details on how involved Snyder is.  

Further into the article, Rivera praised the work from this draft, last year's draft and other moves, saying he things the turnaround could be quicker than he expected.  

In recent weeks, though, those suggestions have subsided as Rivera has said repeatedly that he is comfortable with Smith, praising the offseason plan Smith presented after his promotion and the way he worked through free agency, ran pre-draft meetings and set the team’s draft board. There is a growing sense around the front office that Rivera might soon give Smith the title of general manager, a person with knowledge of the situation recently said.

Rivera has said he doesn’t want to be the final authority on ­decisions but rather have his front-office executives come to a consensus. Some teams have similar arrangements, but they require everyone to work well together and be united in a philosophy. In previous Redskins regimes, Snyder often was an obligatory and sometimes meddlesome part of the process. But Snyder has not meddled, Rivera has said, limiting his presence to once-daily check-ins just to learn what’s going on. Aside from a congratulatory phone call to first-round draft pick Chase Young on Thursday, Snyder took a back seat all weekend.

Read More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/04/26/ron-rivera-kyle-smith-have-found-common-ground-redskins-revamped-front-office/

• Like 1

While I’m a big fan of Kyle Smith, I’m not exactly sure this off-season has been his crowning achievement. Free agency provided us with nothing and from the 5th round on we basically did nothing plus I absolutely hate the Gibson pick. It will be nice of have a GM but I really hope this isn’t the norm from he and Rivera. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

While I’m a big fan of Kyle Smith, I’m not exactly sure this off-season has been his crowning achievement. Free agency provided us with nothing and from the 5th round on we basically did nothing plus I absolutely hate the Gibson pick. It will be nice of have a GM but I really hope this isn’t the norm from he and Rivera. 

I'm obviously not as down on the draft as you are, but better get used to this kind of free agency.  It's not Rivera's MO to go out and spend, and the one time it did, it bite them hard.  

I'm just gonna hold back my opinion on the draft until the guys actually hit the field. 

Gibson would have to be ethier a replacement for Thompson or better than Steven Sims Jr for the pick to make sense for me. I do see him immediately contributing for Special Teams. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Can we step back for a minute and realize that from the 5th-7th rounds that most people have this reaction every year?

There's a reason for that. Most picks after the 4th round are at best depth players and a lot of them get cut out right or end up on practice squads.

I remember all the recent drafts and people having these same kind of reactions.

Then, we get some guys who actually become something from those drafts after a few years or even right away that we weren't expecting. It's far too early to know what we will get out of any of these players.

I mean no one thought we’d get what we got from Ioannidis when we drafted him, absolutely no one. I remember liking the pick, but being upset that they had passed on Billings from Baylor.

How does that opinion look now?

Roullier, Holcomb, SDH, Harmon and I’m probably missing some.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 3

On 4/26/2020 at 7:49 PM, lavar703 said:

Man, you really hate that pick, huh? I mean I get that he doesn't have a position (didn't play much at either), but this guy is a home run hitter. I mistyped the earlier stat. He scored on every 6th touch he got the ball (instead of 1 in every 5).

Has played both positions and also return man. Fast. Breaks tackles. Shifty. And scores a lot on average. 

I'll take that ^^^ and then figure out where to use him later.

• Like 1

I call the Gibson pick a "throwback pick". Bobby Mitchell, Charley Taylor were both running backs and moved to WR and used early on in both positions. His build and moves remind me of a young Bobby Mitchell- the guy the 49ers got is the a Taylor clone. 

It depends how we use them. it could be fun. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Man, you really hate that pick, huh? I mean I get that he doesn't have a position (didn't play much at either), but this guy is a home run hitter. I mistyped the earlier stat. He scored on every 6th touch he got the ball (instead of 1 in every 5).

Has played both positions and also return man. Fast. Breaks tackles. Shifty. And scores a lot on average. 

I'll take that ^^^ and then figure out where to use him later.

Personally, I would've taken Josh Jones. The team badly needed a tackle and you had one of the higher rated ones staring you right in the face and instead you take a player with no position. I think there were better players available and if you wanted to take a RB Zack Moss was an even better option still on the board. He certainly wasn't the best receiver available with Bryan Edwards as an option. I just think he's going to be a guy that we can't figure out how to use and eventually cut.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

I call the Gibson pick a "throwback pick". Bobby Mitchell, Charley Taylor were both running backs and moved to WR and used early on in both positions. His build and moves remind me of a young Bobby Mitchell- the guy the 49ers got is the a Taylor clone. 

It depends how we use them. it could be fun. 

Yah. I'm interested in how we're gonna use him. That being said, I do know where @lavar703 is coming from. At that point in the draft, there were legit WR prospects that had Day 1/Day 2, talent/ratings that had fallen and who had played the position exclusively and had produced. So passing up the proven commodity to draft an athlete is risky at that point.

For example. I know how some people were in love with the idea of converting Chase Claypool to TE, but that rarely works out well enough for my satisfaction (IMHO). I'd rather have the guy who played the position in H.S. and/or in college and has gotten the reps needed (in practice and games) at the position, than to try to convert some guy who has never played the position.

At least with Gibson, he has played both positions. Just not as extensively as some of the others who were available. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Personally, I would've taken Josh Jones. The team badly needed a tackle and you had one of the higher rated ones staring you right in the face and instead you take a player with no position. I think there were better players available and if you wanted to take a RB Zack Moss was an even better option still on the board. He certainly wasn't the best receiver available with Bryan Edwards as an option. I just think he's going to be a guy that we can't figure out how to use and eventually cut.

I completely see your point and I'm not going to argue with it. Because what you're looking at makes complete sense. And the only way we're gonna know is if this guy catches on or not. If he does and he's CT but better (like  mini-McCaffery) then I think it's a good pick. If not, then well...you have every right to say "I told you so". Because honestly, I can't disagree much with your choices there.

I'm just so intrigued by what we can do with this guy. This is a luxury pick. No doubt. And while we shouldn't be doing those at this point, I'm okay with an occasional one to see if we can find "lightning in a bottle".

But yeah, Jones, Moss or Edwards would've made more traditional sense there.

• Like 1

Saahdiq Charles is a better OT prospect then Josh Jones. We got an offensive weapon who can do many things and is explosive, strong and breaks tackles. And, we got a good OT prospect who may be our starting LT this year and if not could be eventually. I love that! How can you not?

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I completely see your point and I'm not going to argue with it. Because what you're looking at makes complete sense. And the only way we're gonna know is if this guy catches on or not. If he does and he's CT but better (like  mini-McCaffery) then I think it's a good pick. If not, then well...you have every right to say "I told you so". Because honestly, I can't disagree much with your choices there.

I'm just so intrigued by what we can do with this guy. This is a luxury pick. No doubt. And while we shouldn't be doing those at this point, I'm okay with an occasional one to see if we can find "lightning in a bottle".

I shouldn't really say I hate the pick. I'm just not as excited about it as others are. I thought it was cool that he immediately was changing his twitter profile and reaching out to skins fans. I guess I'm just more annoyed that they've poured so many resources into RB. I'd like to see them use Gibson exclusively as a WR otherwise I just don't see the value of the pick. If Guice and Love are healthy and I realize thats a big IF, they're about 10x more talented than Gibson. He will almost never see the field.

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I’m not sure I’d call Gibson a luxury pick. We needed a weapon for Haskins to use. We got one of the most explosive weapons on the draft. Can’t have it both ways.

Can’t say that we didn’t get weapons for Haskins and then not call Gibson & AGG attempts at solving that problem.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I’m not sure I’d call Gibson a luxury pick. We needed a weapon for Haskins to use. We got one of the most explosive weapons on the draft. Can’t have it both ways.

Can’t say that we didn’t get weapons for Haskins and then not call Gibson & AGG attempts at solving that problem.

What the Broncos did is getting weapons for your QB. What we did is the bare minimum. A player with no position and a 4th round receiver are hardly an attempt at solving the issue.