Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

14 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

And, not a word of complaint that he is getting paid only 2.5 million to play this year.  Wonder what it would take to bring back both he and Teddy next year?  Is Teddy going to accept a performance-laden contract that protects the team from injury?

I don't believe you typically hear complaints from players about a contract mid-season, unless there's some type of animosity, ala Cousins in Washington.

I'm not sure what Teddy is going to do, although, I suspect he's very aware of the predicament both he and the organization are in.  I think it'll all come down to whether the Vikings are able to offer him a fair starting QB deal, despite it likely being incentive-laden and whether he or his agent will find that acceptable.  I suspect he knows that any deal would likely have an out clause for games started (which he wouldn't reach if he suffers another significant injury).  

11 hours ago, Freakish Mind said:

This is Case Keenum's team right now.   There's no way we bench him at this point of the season with where we are at.    He has too much chemistry with his receivers and O line right now to pull him and go with a big question mark back there.   Unless he does a complete 180 with his gameplay over the next few games.   You leave him in there, your coach comes out and says that you are the top dog right now and won't be operating on a short leash.  

I agree with this.

Teddy has way more upside over the long term, but the fact of the matter is that Teddy is coming off a very serious knee injury, he hasn't played (or even practised very much) since the preseason last year, and the Vikings have in the meantime changed both the OC and the offensive scheme. Just from a practical standpoint, Teddy has had essentially nothing in the way of practice reps in this offence. And AFAIK, Pat Shurmur is part of the Holmgren/Reid/Childress coaching tree and runs a version of the WCO that has historically had a steep learning curve. It would be asking a lot to send Teddy out there and expect him to perform at a mid-season level.

At this stage of the season, with the team at 7-2 and Shaggy playing fairly well a switch back to Teddy would have to be seen as a last resort.

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

And if the Vikings offered a multi-year deal at $4M per year, with a signing bonus, I’d expect him to stay. 

I wouldn't if he is offered $7-9M guaranteed for 1 year as a starting QB.

Case is going to be looking for a starting gig after this season

Just now, CriminalMind said:

I wouldn't if he is offered $7-9M guaranteed for 1 year as a starting QB.

Case is going to be looking for a starting gig after this season

I doubt it. Case has to know that he’s not going to get a legit starting job. His best shot at starting is going to be for a bottom feeding team, where his game to game, year to year, job security would be in question. At this stage in his career, getting a multi-year deal as a premium backup is likely going to net him more money, better job security, a place for his family to settle, etc. 

With who else is expected to reach free agency at the QB position, Keenum is going to be an after thought in that discussion. Plus, teams are going to have a good grasp on the QBs available in the draft. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

At this stage in his career, getting a multi-year deal as a premium backup is likely going to net him more money, better job security, a place for his family to settle, etc. 

Keenum:  “I love it here. I love these guys. My wife and I love it here.”

1 minute ago, Klomp said:

Case would be wise to cash this season in if possible.

Heck, I wouldn't rule out him getting Mike Glennon money.

Id be shocked if someone offered him eight figures. 

And what’s a better deal, a 1 year/ $9M, or 4 years/ $16M with $8M bonus?

Case has pretty much proven he is the "best backup QB" in the league, that means he'll have a job for the next couple of years, regardless if he takes a shot on a bottom feeder team as a starting QB. He'll take his shot as a starter and get lets say $7-11M for 1 year on a team that is not good. At the end of that year, he'll have options again.

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Id be shocked if someone offered him eight figures. 

And what’s a better deal, a 1 year/ $9M, or 4 years/ $16M with $8M bonus?

I'm thinking the 1-year / $9M is superior

If he does well after ... maybe 3 year / $12M per year

If he does poorly after ... maybe 2 year / $3.5M per year

Keenum, on a new team, is unlikely to have the receivers, o-line, or defense backing him up like he does here. Which likely means he’s not going to win much. If he struggles, like he did with the Rams and Texans, teams are going to question him and whether his success in MN was the supporting cast and scheme. 

If he struggled after getting a starting job, I’d bet his future contracts would look similar to what he’s currently getting. 

I don't know. If Shaggy can continue to play at an NFL-average level for a whole season, what is that worth to the Vikings? What is it worth to other organizations?

I have seen teams give up a lot in the way of money and/or draft picks based on a lot less. See: Rob Johnson, Matt Schaub, Kevin Kolb and a bunch of others.

8 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'm sure it has been mentioned before, but doesn't Bridgewater HAVE to play at some time, so he can be realistically evaluated as to his contract value for next year?

Teddy doesn't have (requirement) to play. If they ride the hot hand and Case continues to win, I don't think the organization is going to complain

Archived