Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

1 hour ago, Snake Plissken said:

I didn't state that, but agree.  In a QB driven league  Keenum has had a positive impact on W/L. 

He's managed games very well. We've not really seen Keenum in a position where he has to win the game. The defense has been taking care of that for us and Forbath being clutch on FGs has helped. I want to see Keenum in a situation where the game is on the line deep in the 4th quarter. 

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

He's managed games very well. We've not really seen Keenum in a position where he has to win the game. The defense has been taking care of that for us and Forbath being clutch on FGs has helped. I want to see Keenum in a situation where the game is on the line deep in the 4th quarter. 

Right. So far he has done what he has needed to do to win games (I didn't see the Detroit game). Leading the offense he has helped put the team in the position where he hadn't had to come up big late. He and the rest of the team should be tested more in the post-bye schedule. 

22 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I want to see Keenum in a situation where the game is on the line deep in the 4th quarter. 

i want to see Sloter in the game in the 4th quarter, after Keenum has built a big lead.

but i get your point, as playoff wins are rarely runaway ones.

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i want to see Sloter in the game in the 4th quarter, after Keenum has built a big lead.

but i get your point, as playoff wins are rarely runaway ones.

We're not going to face DeShone Kizer and Joe Flacco every week. There are some good QBs on the schedule after the bye. Looking at the Vikings success against good QBs, we beat the Saints (Bradford was the QB), lost to the Steelers (Keenum) and lost to the Lions (Keenum). 

We still have to face Cousins, Goff and Ryan. Throw in Dalton and Newton whom can both be really good or a detriment. Rodgers too, if he somehow returns Week 16 (not likely since the Packers will be out of playoff contention).

i am concerned with how the offense will manage going forward when facing an opponent that might be able to make some plays on our defense.

34 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

We're not going to face DeShone Kizer and Joe Flacco every week. There are some good QBs on the schedule after the bye. Looking at the Vikings success against good QBs, we beat the Saints (Bradford was the QB), lost to the Steelers (Keenum) and lost to the Lions (Keenum). 

We still have to face Cousins, Goff and Ryan. Throw in Dalton and Newton whom can both be really good or a detriment. Rodgers too, if he somehow returns Week 16 (not likely since the Packers will be out of playoff contention).

i am concerned with how the offense will manage going forward when facing an opponent that might be able to make some plays on our defense.

You have a valid concern about the offense, but I don't think we have seen them fully opened up. So far the game plan has been able to be conservative. 

With the play of the OL, a decent running game, Keenum, and particularly the receiving corp, this is the most optimistic I have been about the offense in a while. Well, at least as a fan I have a lot more hope that we will see Diggs, Thielen, or Rudy make another catch past the markers on third and long. 

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I perfectly fine with not seeing Keenum having to make game winning drives in the 4th quarter of he continues to win games. Let's remember, pits game he didn't not really expect to play, and Detroit game is a win if Cook doesn't fumble. 

I'm not saying Case is some top 5 QB, but he is doing alot of positives and winning games. And Teddy didn't even look better then how Case is playing right now. It would be one thing if Teddy was playing head and shoulders above Case pre injury (which would warrant him walking back into starters position if no Bradford), but he wasn't, and he wasn't even close.

23 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

and Detroit game is a win if Cook doesn't fumble.

They tie the game if Keenum gets them into the endzone with 1st and goal from the 8, with 4 minutes left in the game. 

An example of Keenum needing to score on a crucial drive, and failing to do so. But you’re confident in him doing it?

2 hours ago, Purple-Pride07 said:

K, that's one aspect I've conceded you can push. 

It's still incorrect to compare Teddy Bridgewater's athleticism and physical gifts to Carson Wentz. I think you're beginning to acknowledge.

K. I just don't know what it has to do with the conversation at hand if it is ultimately unimportant?

I'm glad I'm not the only one not sold on Case's case. 

I LOVE the guy, he's an absolute competitor. On and off the field. I enjoyed watching him last year on hard knocks, seeing his professionalism and dedication to the game. 

...BUT...with that being said...

He is NOT the long term answer for this offense moving forward, this year. Whenever this offense has been tasked to outscore an equally or more talented opponent, it has failed. For a multitude of reasons. Case is definitely one of those. His throws can be beautiful, and spot on. Or they can be highly erratic. I am also further not sold on his ability to win in 'crunch' time like I am with Teddy. I think Case understands his role on this team, and certainly would love to remain the starter. But he was NEVER brought in with that mindset, only to insure the ship didn't totally sink if Bradford went down. Which he has done, 100%. 

I hate to nark on the guy, because he really has played lights out. But if we're being technical, I am just not convinced he is skilled enough to beat out the heavy hitters in this league. I know Teddy can. That drive against Seattle tells me so. 

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

They tie the game if Keenum gets them into the endzone with 1st and goal from the 8, with 4 minutes left in the game. 

An example of Keenum needing to score on a crucial drive, and failing to do so. But you’re confident in him doing it?

If you don't remember...

how many drives did Teddy have stall out on the goal line?

It's been one thing every Vikings QB seems to have struggled with dating back to Daunte... but Daunte had Moss, and one BA qb sneak.

Archived