Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

You would prefer Smith to Brees or Cousins? Brees and Cousins are both superior passers and QBs

Yes.  How many more seasons will Brees play and continue to be effective.  Do you watch many Redskins games?  Cousins is as streaky as they come.  He has played some top 5 games, but he's also played truly awful.  No thanks.

Smith is consistent.  Has pretty good pocket awareness. Can make all the throws.  Doesn't throw many interceptions and can extend plays with his legs.  I think he could very well be the league MVP this year. He has demonstrated leadership and is respected by his teammates. He is doing all this with less offensive weapons than are on the Vikings.

29 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Alex Smith is a newer version of Brad Johnson and is the same age as Aaron Rodgers.  He doesn't have the greatest arm strength and what arm strength he does have is likely to fall off in 3 years.  

Brad Johnson?  Really?  Johnson didn't have the mobility of Smith.  Smith is more accurate.  Smith has better pocket awareness and lately, downfield vision. Smith has gotten better each and every year he's been in the league.  Unfortunately, he's gotten the label of "game manager."  Maybe that's the similarity with Johnson.  But at this point in his career, Smith is much better.  He reminds me of the late career blossoming of John Brodie, Ken Anderson and Rich Gannon.

5 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

No, I don't believe the Vikings would be 6-2 if he had a worse passer rating. That wasn't my point though. My point is that Case Keenum is not the 6th best passer in the game this year, that rating is not sustainable, and he's been wildly inaccurate and missed open receivers pretty often. Keenum is probably the best back up in the league and has gone above and beyond what you would expect a back up to do. That doesn't mean he should remain the starter, despite his QBR.

After reflecting on the situation a little, is it safe for us to assume Keenum has reached his ceiling?  After all, some QB's take longer to grow than others, for a variety of reasons.  Steve young was considered a bust by Tampa Bay, hence his trade to the 49ers.  He performed significantly better after his trade.  Who's to say Keenum can't continue to grow as a QB?  I guess we will find out over the course of this season.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Brad Johnson?  Really?  Johnson didn't have the mobility of Smith.  Smith is more accurate.  Smith has better pocket awareness and lately, downfield vision. Smith has gotten better each and every year he's been in the league.  Unfortunately, he's gotten the label of "game manager."  Maybe that's the similarity with Johnson.  But at this point in his career, Smith is much better.  He reminds me of the late career blossoming of John Brodie, Ken Anderson and Rich Gannon.

I guess that isn't a really fair comparison...but I did look at pro-football-reference.com...and they have a comparison much more logical than my own.  Jake Delhomme.  That makes perfect sense to me.  

27 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

After reflecting on the situation a little, is it safe for us to assume Keenum has reached his ceiling?  After all, some QB's take longer to grow than others, for a variety of reasons.  Steve young was considered a bust by Tampa Bay, hence his trade to the 49ers.  He performed significantly better after his trade.  Who's to say Keenum can't continue to grow as a QB?  I guess we will find out over the course of this season.

What do you see in his game that leads you to believe there is an area in which he will improve? Case Keenum does not have Steve Young ability. Tampa Bay did a terrible job developing Young.

Also, Steve Young wasn’t 30 when the 49ers acquired him. They got to develop him for years in their system, and got to see his abilities very early on (10 TDS, 0 INTs in 3 starts in 1987).

Young wasn’t a QB who developed late, he just didn’t get his opportunity until late. 

But Young was a first round pick from a major college, yes?  Keenum was an UDFA from a Division I school.  Given where he came from, it is reasonable to assume he was far from pro-ready.  What I am saying is, he is far from a finished product, given his background, and it might be a false assumption to assume he is finished growing as a QB.  After all, he seems to have grown this year from previous years, especially when it comes to ball protection.  Also, he seems to be showing much better pocket awareness and using his athleticism to avoid sacks than in the recent past.   I am not saying Keenum is going to be a future hall of famer, but we can't assume that every QB will follow the same career projectory, especially given his rather limited background.  Come on, let's show some optimism here lol!

I don't think anyone has been pessimistic about Keenum. The guy has been playing at his ceiling this year. His production that everyone is praising so much is about on par with Teddy's second year. In a Norv Turner offense. With AP as a centerpiece. With Matt Kalil protecting his blindside.

It's not fair to assume Case is playing at ceiling, and bound to regress too the mean. What if he actually had the best offseason on his life, and he has more to improve or he can hold his current play for the entire year.

This is prolly more likely, than Teddy being able to come back to his form right before the injury. Likely Teddy is behind where he was before the injury, behind where he was at the Seattle playoff game too.

Could Teddy get better then what is his expected: possibly yes with time. But Case is possibly the QB to go with of you want to continue winning right now. Teddy will eventually get his shot, but I don't feel it is right now

So it's more likely that a guy that is having a career year statistically (even though that isn't reflective of his play of the field) is going to continue to find that level of success, than it is for a young developing player with a higher ceiling to come back from a severe injury? I don't think I agree with that at all. Keep in mind that Keenum's current level of play is statistically close to what Bridgewater put up in his second season. Keenum is also playing in a much more QB friendly scheme with better weapons and protection. 

Archived