Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd honestly look towards bringing back Teddy and Keenum. I don't really care if we spend $20M at the QB position to make it happen realizing that MN won't be active in the FA market. Nor do they really need to be.

I also wouldn't mind if the team spent $20M on the position. I doubt there is any way they can get both Teddy and Case for $20M though. Look at what Glennon got. Teddy will get more than that if he looks at all able. As far as high end backup QBs, look at what Philly was paying Chase Daniel. 

I believe those two contracts are just the starting point of what it will cost to sign Teddy and Case. It is possible that Case gets a lot more too depending on how the year finishes. He very well could end up getting Glennon money too if he progresses further as he plays. He has already shown great progression from his time with the Texans to his time with the Rams and now with the Vikings. He has shown marked improvement at each stop. 

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

He has already shown great progression from his time with the Texans to his time with the Rams and now with the Vikings. He has shown marked improvement at each stop. 

I mean... Kind of... really this was the first team with the weapons he has. In accuracy hasn't improved. I'm sure completion percentage did, but look at the catches our guys have made for him.

What he is good at, for some reason this year, is not turning the ball over as much. Somehow... a little luck.

8 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I mean... Kind of... really this was the first team with the weapons he has. In accuracy hasn't improved. I'm sure completion percentage did, but look at the catches our guys have made for him.

What he is good at, for some reason this year, is not turning the ball over as much. Somehow... a little luck.

Oh sure. Don't get me wrong. I am not hoping the Vikings hold onto him as a starter.  That would not be good. Just saying that maybe one of the QB needy teams might sign him as a bridge starter while planning to draft a QB high. If so, he could get Glennon money and I wouldn't begrude the guy for taking it. Ergo, getting both for $20M might be a hair optimistic at this point. On the other hand, if Case goes in the toilet and TEddy comes in and looks like garbage the team probably can get both for $20M. That isn't what I would hope for though.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

I'd give Teddy a Mike Glennon type contract. Glennon's cap hit in 2017 is $14 million.

i think MN could get Keenum for $5-6 million.

Going to be hard to get Teddy for that if he returns and plays good enough to win us a playoff game.

We signed Case to a $2M contract this year... He just won 4 games starting... We won't get him for $5-6. Someone will offer him more than that I do believe.

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Going to be hard to get Teddy for that if he returns and plays good enough to win us a playoff game.

We signed Case to a $2M contract this year... He just won 4 games starting... We won't get him for $5-6. Someone will offer him more than that I do believe.

Exactly, in a QB needy league, keenum probably will be looking close to double digits annually on a contract. I could see him getting 8-12 per year, especially if a team is desperate enough and dependent on how the rest of his season goes.

5 hours ago, perrynoid said:

For what it's worth, Case currently has the 6th highest total QBR rating in the NFL (64.7), ahead of guys named Smith, Rodgers, Wilson and Ryan.

It's not worth much. Unless you would rather have Keenum than the QBs mentioned.

36 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

It's not worth much. Unless you would rather have Keenum than the QBs mentioned.

Do you sincerely believe we'd have anywhere near a 6-2 record if, for example, he was rated 26th rather than 6th?  I am amazed at the job he has done thus far.  Rarely does a back-up QB play this well and win this many games.  Fpr example, look at GB: Hundley recently threw for 87 yards in a game...87 yards!  And he has been in their system for 3 years, so you'd think he would perform much better than that!  We should be happy that the third best QB on our roster is winning games for us.  Hats off to the coaching staff and front office for building such great depth on this team.

(I will apologize immediately for my overuse of exclamation points lol)

5 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

Exactly, in a QB needy league, keenum probably will be looking close to double digits annually on a contract. I could see him getting 8-12 per year, especially if a team is desperate enough and dependent on how the rest of his season goes.

He'll get a Hoyer/McCown/Foles level contract. Like 6 million. 

7 hours ago, perrynoid said:

Do you sincerely believe we'd have anywhere near a 6-2 record if, for example, he was rated 26th rather than 6th?  I am amazed at the job he has done thus far.  Rarely does a back-up QB play this well and win this many games.  Fpr example, look at GB: Hundley recently threw for 87 yards in a game...87 yards!  And he has been in their system for 3 years, so you'd think he would perform much better than that!  We should be happy that the third best QB on our roster is winning games for us.  Hats off to the coaching staff and front office for building such great depth on this team.

(I will apologize immediately for my overuse of exclamation points lol)

No, I don't believe the Vikings would be 6-2 if he had a worse passer rating. That wasn't my point though. My point is that Case Keenum is not the 6th best passer in the game this year, that rating is not sustainable, and he's been wildly inaccurate and missed open receivers pretty often. Keenum is probably the best back up in the league and has gone above and beyond what you would expect a back up to do. That doesn't mean he should remain the starter, despite his QBR.

52 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

No, I don't believe the Vikings would be 6-2 if he had a worse passer rating. That wasn't my point though. My point is that Case Keenum is not the 6th best passer in the game this year, that rating is not sustainable, and he's been wildly inaccurate and missed open receivers pretty often. Keenum is probably the best back up in the league and has gone above and beyond what you would expect a back up to do. That doesn't mean he should remain the starter, despite his QBR.

You are correct, his success is probably not sustainable; however, what are our options?  I am leery of starting a QB who has undergone a sever injury and not played a meaningful down in quite some time, or one who seems to have chronic knee-related issues.  Going forward, I would prefer better options, but what are they?  I guess we could break the question down into two parts: what are our best QB options for the remainder of this season, and what are our best QB options next season and beyond?

13 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I also wouldn't mind if the team spent $20M on the position. I doubt there is any way they can get both Teddy and Case for $20M though. Look at what Glennon got. Teddy will get more than that if he looks at all able. As far as high end backup QBs, look at what Philly was paying Chase Daniel. 

I believe those two contracts are just the starting point of what it will cost to sign Teddy and Case. It is possible that Case gets a lot more too depending on how the year finishes. He very well could end up getting Glennon money too if he progresses further as he plays. He has already shown great progression from his time with the Texans to his time with the Rams and now with the Vikings. He has shown marked improvement at each stop. 

I agree, I think it's going to be closer to $25M to retain both, as Case would likely warrant somewhere around $6M to be a backup.  

18 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

How's that?

Well... I mean... literally in every way relative to the position, really.

That's not to detract from what Teddy offers, but he's not gifted with tantalizing physical tools to help him overcome what quite honestly will be a long road back from a mental perspective.

Archived