Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

56 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

So it's more likely that a guy that is having a career year statistically (even though that isn't reflective of his play of the field) is going to continue to find that level of success, than it is for a young developing player with a higher ceiling to come back from a severe injury? 

Yes.  What has Teddy done for us lately that suggests he has a higher ceiling any longer or that he's developed at all?  It's basically Newton's First Law...unless he changes something, we can continue to expect that we'll get the same from Case Keenum as we've been getting.  We don't know that about Teddy because of the external force of his traumatic injury. 

41 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Yes.  What has Teddy done for us lately that suggests he has a higher ceiling any longer or that he's developed at all?  It's basically Newton's First Law...unless he changes something, we can continue to expect that we'll get the same from Case Keenum as we've been getting.  We don't know that about Teddy because of the external force of his traumatic injury. 

I guess I just disagree with all of this. Since we are dealing in hypotheticals I can't disprove you, but I don't think that you are right.

Just now, JDBrocks said:

I guess I just disagree with all of this. Since we are dealing in hypotheticals I can't disprove you, but I don't think that you are right.

It's certainly fair to disagree, but I just believe that unless Teddy is just far above and away better than Case in practice, you don't mess with what's been working.  

24 minutes ago, disaacs said:

It's certainly fair to disagree, but I just believe that unless Teddy is just far above and away better than Case in practice, you don't mess with what's been working.  

I’m sure you’d feel the same way if Bradford came back from the bye week healthy?

29 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Right now, Vikings are deciding if to place Teddy on the 53 squad or to place him on the IR.

There has been no talk (yet) about starter vs backup vs 3rd string.

Or, they’re making both decisions simultaneously.

Or, with how he’s been practicing, IR has never been a part of their thought process. 

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m sure you’d feel the same way if Bradford came back from the bye week healthy?

I'm getting to that point with Bradford, but the injuries are clearly different with different magnitudes...and Bradford has more recent equity.  He's only been gone for 2 months, not 15. 

If all of them were completely healthy and proven healthy, I'd probably still have Bradford as the #1, as he has shown the greatest ability with the greatest proof of success...and I'd probably let Teddy compete with Keenum in practice to be the #2 for the remainder of the year. 

But, it's nearing the point of where I'd pull the plug on Bradford for the remainder of the year just for the same reasons I've laid out for Teddy...until there's a reason to pull Case, you leave him in.  However, with Sam, it's quickly becoming clear that he's not going to be completely healthy for some time.  

I'm thinking that if they think Bradford can still play this year (and towards the playoffs), they are not going to IR him. I agree with disaacs, Bradford is #1 QB if healthy. Now I can't recall the IR rules mid season, can Bradford be IR for 8 games, and come back for playoff game (potentially after a bye if we get it)?

If they don't think Bradford needs that amount of time, and back end of November games or so, then there is even more of a Case to run with Case, until Bradford is back to starter.

Archived