Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

9 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Pam Oliver: "Eight frickin' wins in a row? Are you kidding me? How did you guys do this?"

Keenum: "Score more points than the other team." :P

he's mimicking Zimmer's lines now.

but how are we winning? we held the Rams to one td, we held the Falcons to three fg's.

At some point, you have to believe. Keenum has now thrown for at least 280 yards and at least one touchdown in four straight games. It's the longest active streak in the league, and here's the entire list of quarterbacks who have more such games this season: Tom Brady. That's the list.

ESPN.com, from before the game.

today, Keenum threw for 227 yards and 2 td's.

Keenum:   “I think guys have confidence in each other; I think receivers have confidence in me I have confidence in receivers, the offensive line is trusting each other. I mean, we trust the defense to make a stop every time they’re out there, and I think the defense trusts us to go down there and win ball games and put drives together when we need them. It’s all three phases trusting each other. Being successful breeds confidence.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Ultimate-Grinder-Keenum-Finds-Groove-in-2nd-Half/777803af-7da6-40c0-8ecb-b96c00a9fbbb?sf175163709=1

Weeks ago, I still had some concerns about Keenum. Those are close to being gone. Not saying he's been perfect, but he's shown enough sustained success since the bye in order for me to feel confident through the playoffs.

A lot of the discussion has been about if he's good enough to win a Super Bowl. And that's great that we're in a position to begin having that discussion. As for the importance of quarterbacks in order to win a Super Bowl.....QB is important, but its importance is overstated at times, I think. QB can mask major weaknesses but teams without major weaknesses elsewhere have won without amazing QB play. Johnson and Dilfer are the names most often brought up, but lots of teams have won relying on a great defense and an average offense. This team is built in a way that I don't believe it needs an Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady in order to win a Super Bowl.

Keenum had some shaky moments in the second half Nov. 12 at Washington, throwing two interceptions. In the three games since then, he has completed 74.5 percent of his passes with no interceptions.

Zimmer: “He is making the plays he needs to make and not trying to overdo things. Sometimes, like in the Washington game, he tried to do things and make some plays he shouldn’t have really tried to make, and now he is staying within himself.”

Keenum was sacked twice by the Falcons, but was able to elude the pass rush on a number of occasions. Keenum has been sacked just nine times this season, and Zimmer said after Sunday’s game he didn’t know at the start of the season that Keenum was so mobile.

Zimmer: “I probably didn’t know how good of a movement guy in the pocket that he is, and he has done a great job of that all year.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/03/secret-to-vikings-qb-case-keenums-success-charisma-and-confidence/

24x418h.jpg

While Zimmer won’t officially declare Keenum as his starter for the rest of the season, leading to speculation that the now-healthy Teddy Bridgewater might get an opportunity, there is little chance Zimmer is going to lift Keenum. There are two scenarios under which Bridgewater could end up getting on the field: 1) Keenum gets injured; or 2) the Vikings’ playoff position is locked up going into Week 17 and Bridgewater plays against Chicago.

Nonetheless, Zimmer was asked Sunday if Keenum will be the starter next week in Carolina. “Yeah,” Zimmer said.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/12/case-keenums-success-gone-unexpected-expected/

58 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Keenum had some shaky moments in the second half Nov. 12 at Washington, throwing two interceptions. In the three games since then, he has completed 74.5 percent of his passes with no interceptions.

Zimmer: “He is making the plays he needs to make and not trying to overdo things. Sometimes, like in the Washington game, he tried to do things and make some plays he shouldn’t have really tried to make, and now he is staying within himself.”

Keenum was sacked twice by the Falcons, but was able to elude the pass rush on a number of occasions. Keenum has been sacked just nine times this season, and Zimmer said after Sunday’s game he didn’t know at the start of the season that Keenum was so mobile.

Zimmer: “I probably didn’t know how good of a movement guy in the pocket that he is, and he has done a great job of that all year.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/03/secret-to-vikings-qb-case-keenums-success-charisma-and-confidence/

As I was saying before, Keenum's season so far reminds me a lot of Kurt Warner in 1999.

I know that Teddy coming back from that awful knee injury is a great story, but so is Keenum's performance at QB.

:)

45 minutes ago, milanb said:

As I was saying before, Keenum's season so far reminds me a lot of Kurt Warner in 1999.

I know that Teddy coming back from that awful knee injury is a great story, but so is Keenum's performance at QB.

:)

Just diving into a numbers comparison, the completions and attempts are fairly similar, but yardage favors Warner by 25 yards per game and Warner averaged about a TD more per game.

I know you weren't comparing them from a statistical standpoint, but I just thought I'd bring that up.

After 61 pages and a sackful of wins ... the answer is yes. A case can be made for Keenum. xD

I was with the "pull him and start Teddy when he eventually cools off" camp for a while, but he hasn't cooled off, and now we're at the point where a QB change would disrupt team chemistry. He knows his receivers, they know him, and everybody's happy. I believe in Case Keenum and am glad to call him our starting quarterback.

The efficiency that Keenum is playing with is beyond impressive, and I really like that he’s cleaned up his dangerous throws that he was getting away with. But I still feel as though he’s leaving a lot of big plays, and potential touchdowns on the field. At least one, if not two, per week. 

And I can’t help but think that if he misses those opportunities in the playoffs, it’s really going to cost us. 

Hes been improving almost weekly and working out some of his mistakes, I’m just hoping that he starts seeing these plays in the coming weeks. I hate leaving points on the field. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The efficiency that Keenum is playing with is beyond impressive, and I really like that he’s cleaned up his dangerous throws that he was getting away with. But I still feel as though he’s leaving a lot of big plays, and potential touchdowns on the field. At least one, if not two, per week. 

And I can’t help but think that if he misses those opportunities in the playoffs, it’s really going to cost us. 

Hes been improving almost weekly and working out some of his mistakes, I’m just hoping that he starts seeing these plays in the coming weeks. I hate leaving points on the field. 

That's my concern. Seems like on a weekly basis he misses a WR badly that could have gone for big plays. Can't miss open receivers in the playoffs. 

So let's say Case gets us to the Super Bowl. Maybe even wins it. How much do you pay to keep him around? Do you try to keep him and Teddy? 

I don't think we can keep them both. Especially with the dearth of QB talent in the NFL right now.

In my opinion, I think you have to give him a deal that is kind of a "prove you can do it again" deal. First year would have a solid, middle-of-the-road starting QB salary and decent signing bonus. Year two would be structured in such a way where the team could cut him if he stinks it up, but if he's solid, then he gets paid like a top flight QB for year 2 and beyond. 

Just now, wcblack34 said:

So let's say Case gets us to the Super Bowl. Maybe even wins it. How much do you pay to keep him around? Do you try to keep him and Teddy? 

I don't think we can keep them both. Especially with the dearth of QB talent in the NFL right now.

In my opinion, I think you have to give him a deal that is kind of a "prove you can do it again" deal. First year would have a solid, middle-of-the-road starting QB salary and decent signing bonus. Year two would be structured in such a way where the team could cut him if he stinks it up, but if he's solid, then he gets paid like a top flight QB for year 2 and beyond. 

Glennon contract would be the ceiling for Keenum.

Archived