Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

13 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd give Teddy a Mike Glennon type contract. Glennon's cap hit in 2017 is $14 million.

i think MN could get Keenum for $5-6 million.

I agree with the valuation of Keenum - he's a journeyman and won't land financial figures in even the peak Josh McCown range.

Teddy's not going to cause a bidding war amongst teams who have no idea what his intimate medical details are or how he's rehabbed (physically and mentally). His best opportunity to re-launch his career post-injury is to remain in Minnesota for what will be a relatively team-efficient figure. 

I guess you can say Teddy needs a Bridge deal.

6 minutes ago, Purple-Pride07 said:

Well... I mean... literally in every way relative to the position, really.

That's not to detract from what Teddy offers, but he's not gifted with tantalizing physical tools to help him overcome what quite honestly will be a long road back from a mental perspective.

He's taller and heavier. 

Just now, Purple-Pride07 said:

Wentz is taller, heavier, bigger arm, better mobility (before and past the LOS), etc.

The vibe I'm getting is your initial post was saying that Teddy's physical skill-set is comparable to Wentz, but it simply isn't.

Nope. At a certain point having a bigger arm and slightly better mobility just don't matter. Teddy can make every throw necessary to move the offense. He was mobile enough to avoid pressure and create opportunities during broken plays. I don't care that Wentz can run a bit faster or can throw the ball a bit harder. It just doesn't make a difference.

I'm also not arguing that Teddy is better than Wentz or will be. Only that the physical tools argument doesn't mean a ton.

52 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Nope. At a certain point having a bigger arm and slightly better mobility just don't matter. Teddy can make every throw necessary to move the offense. He was mobile enough to avoid pressure and create opportunities during broken plays. I don't care that Wentz can run a bit faster or can throw the ball a bit harder. It just doesn't make a difference.

I'm also not arguing that Teddy is better than Wentz or will be. Only that the physical tools argument doesn't mean a ton.

Sure it makes a difference.  Football is said to be a game of inches and being able to use those physical talents to take advantage of those inches makes a difference. 

1 hour ago, Purple-Pride07 said:

Wentz is taller, heavier, bigger arm, better mobility (before and past the LOS), etc.

The vibe I'm getting is your initial post was saying that Teddy's physical skill-set is comparable to Wentz, but it simply isn't.

I'm not sure I agree that Wentz has more mobility.

57 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

The crux of this dialogue dates to you disagreeing with the following post:

Still evident, but let's just say the percentages for theoretical success have dramatically diminished. It goes without saying that Teddy has a lot to overcome mentally, as well as physically.

Not to mention he's considerably limited physically in comparison to, as you reference, Carson Wentz.

...No problem, I think it's fine to rate Teddy considerably, particularly based on the promise he showed pre-injury. Sentiment of this is that Wentz, who was brought up separately, represents a QB with far more tools at his disposal, which help to mitigate the physical/mental rehabilitation involved with returning and regaining form.

I say again - with the understanding that Teddy entered the league with average (to, on his best day, above-average) arm strength/talent - and what is likely to be marginalized mobility after his injury, the odds of him succeeding let alone replicating his pre-injury form are lessened.

Not to say it's impossible, of course.

1 minute ago, Worm Guts said:

I'm not sure I agree that Wentz has more mobility.

Pre-Teddy injury, Wentz was more mobile - however, more selective in mobility than Teddy dating back to even Louisville.

Post-injury, I'd imagine Teddy will adopt even more of a pocket-delivery preference to his game. Specifically regarding mobility, the confusion is Teddy was never a bad runner and generally very effective in PA. Just talking about different level of "athlete" in Wentz, is all.

3 minutes ago, Purple-Pride07 said:

Pre-Teddy injury, Wentz was more mobile - however, more selective in mobility than Teddy dating back to even Louisville.

Post-injury, I'd imagine Teddy will adopt even more of a pocket-delivery preference to his game. Specifically regarding mobility, the confusion is Teddy was never a bad runner and generally very effective in PA. Just talking about different level of "athlete" in Wentz, is all.

I don't know how you define mobility, but I've seen Teddy make some pretty elusive moves.  Wentz might be more mobile in terms of running for yardage, I don't think he's more mobile in terms of avoiding being sacked.

21 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I don't know how you define mobility, but I've seen Teddy make some pretty elusive moves.  Wentz might be more mobile in terms of running for yardage, I don't think he's more mobile in terms of avoiding being sacked.

Mobility, in my mind, is all-encompassing. Creating/extending with legs, running for yards, play-action, etc.

What I think you're specifically referencing is elusiveness. While, yeah, I'd agree to a degree that Teddy is better at avoiding on-coming pressure in some ways compared to Wentz, the latter avoids sacks by using his size/strength/speed. Different route, same location.

5 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

If he is yanked or continues his play, maybe winning some playoff games for us, I see no way Case gets less than $8M.

I'm also not willing to give Teddy big money on a 1 year contract without first speaking to Brees or Cousins if still available

I would speak to Alex Smith before Brees or Cousins.  Smith would be perfect for this offense; and it sounds like he will be available in the off season.

4 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I would speak to Alex Smith before Brees or Cousins.  Smith would be perfect for this offense; and it sounds like he will be available in the off season.

You would prefer Smith to Brees or Cousins? Brees and Cousins are both superior passers and QBs

Archived