Top NFL Free Agents Still Available at Every Position

turtle28

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

You really don't understand the value of signing players long term when it comes to both team building, stability and cap management?

You really believe in only signing one  year deals?  You think you can build a team like that?  The only way that seems to work is if you have a qb like tom brady and a very strong culture like New england.

I understand it if the players have proven they fit in your system. I don't understand it if your system is new to the team and you are rebuilding.

I don't believe in just signing one-year deals, but for certain players I do. I wouldn't have given Darby or Sean Davis multi-year contracts but you're suggesting they should have. I don't agree bc those players haven't proven they are worth big long term deals but the potential is there for them to prove they deserve extensions and I hope they do, that's why they get a one-year ”prove it deal.”

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

You really don't understand the value of signing players long term when it comes to both team building, stability and cap management?

You really believe in only signing one  year deals?  You think you can build a team like that?  The only way that seems to work is if you have a qb like tom brady and a very strong culture like New england.

2 things
Don't know if the players woulda signed multi year deals as I'm sure a lot of agents told them with the projected Cap bump next year of new CBA that 1 year 6 mil could maybe be 10 mil next year.

Think the 1 year deals worked for the team this year cause it Rivera putting his culture of you have to earn it into the team,and if they see someone like Darby or Davis earn it then get rewarded it helps show that to not only the young guys on the team but other Free agents next year that the team is under new management.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I understand it if the players have proven they fit in your system. I don't understand it if your system is new to the team and you are rebuilding.

I don't believe in just signing one-year deals, but for certain players I do. I wouldn't have given Darby or Sean Davis multi-year contracts but you're suggesting they should have. I don't agree bc those players haven't proven they are worth big long term deals but the potential is there for them to prove they deserve extensions and I hope they do, that's why they get a one-year ”prove it deal.”

It isn't a new system.  Rivera isn't bringing a new football formation that hasn't been run before.  Del Rio has an established system.  They should know exactly the type of players who fit it.  These coaches should be able to scout and identify players that fit what they want.  

I know we totally have a different view point here and both seem to strongly feel that way.  But if these players ball out, they are going to cost twice as much next year.  I have no problems with one year deals here and there, but signing lots of young players who the HC gushes about to one year deals is just setting up to either overpay or lose them the following year.  Or it just means Rivera is full of it.  Sean Davis supposedly was brought in to start at FS.  If that is the case what are we doing in 2021?  Start over?  I just can't get on board with this.

1 minute ago, ovfd55 said:

2 things
Don't know if the players woulda signed multi year deals as I'm sure a lot of agents told them with the projected Cap bump next year of new CBA that 1 year 6 mil could maybe be 10 mil next year.

Think the 1 year deals worked for the team this year cause it Rivera putting his culture of you have to earn it into the team,and if they see someone like Darby or Davis earn it then get rewarded it helps show that to not only the young guys on the team but other Free agents next year that the team is under new management.

I get if some of these players didn't want to sign multi year deals, but all of them?  

If the culture thing is true, then if he stood by it, he would always try out every player for a year before a long term deal.  This is just foolish.  It sets you up to overpay.  Bad cap management.  

Was this guy one of them? lol

https://www.si.com/nfl/redskins/news/more-ol-depth-for-redskins 

Per ProFootballFocus.com (PFF), Liedtke has played a grand total of four offensive snaps in the last two seasons. 

That's light even by any standard. 

ProFootballReference.com (PFR) lists him as having three offensive snaps in the last THREE years but a total of 39 snaps on special teams. 

12 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Am I the only one who thinks that a team of the remaining free agents would stand a pretty good chance at beating us?  

I don't know, I'd like to see that exercise though. I'll give it a shot.

58 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Am I the only one who thinks that a team of the remaining free agents would stand a pretty good chance at beating us?  

I think posted the link about a month ago. The team then was, in my eyes, a favorite over us in all likelihood.

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

I think posted the link about a month ago. The team then was, in my eyes, a favorite over us in all likelihood.

It's almost a mirror image of our team, but with a much better QB and less receiving weapons solely because there isn't anyone who can match McLaurin out there now.  That QB position, as well as better secondary players,puts the FA team over the top.  

Replace Newton with the next guy up in Joe Flacco?  It's a coin flip who wins.  

The differences between a team full of mostly over the hill veterans vs our team is pretty easily deciphered to me:

1. Our team is young for a reason. It is built to have a future and grow into a team that can hopefully win for multiple years - maybe an entire decade - not have one average or good year and then be done, as our teams were built from 2005-2008 for example.

2. The veteran FA team looks better on paper bc it's names people know, that doesn't mean they're definitely a better team. Like Cam Newton is the perfect example, he's been injured with a shoulder and a foot for two straight years, how does anyone know he's as good as he used to be? It's assumed bc he's a big name but, no one knows for sure.

Edited by turtle28

On 5/7/2020 at 2:25 PM, turtle28 said:

The differences between a team full of mostly over the hill veterans vs our team is pretty easily deciphered to me:

1. Our team is young for a reason. It is built to have a future and grow into a team that can hopefully win for multiple years - maybe an entire decade - not have one average or good year and then be done, as our teams were built from 2005-2008 for example.

2. The veteran FA team looks better on paper bc it's names people know, that doesn't mean they're definitely a better team. Like Cam Newton is the perfect example, he's been injured with a shoulder and a foot for two straight years, how does anyone know he's as good as he used to be? It's assumed bc he's a big name but, no one knows for sure.

It was just an exercise on paper and I really wasn't including injuries on either end, but that is a fair point on Newton.  Like I said, even if you sub him with Flacco, it's still a coin flip in my mind.