Vikings by the Numbers

19 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

And didn't Randy at one point wear #18 before #84 was available? So shouldn't it be him?

I could be wrong, but I don't think they were allowed to wear the teens during Randy's days, unless it was in his short second stint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think they were allowed to wear the teens during Randy's days, unless it was in his short second stint.

I think he may have work 18 with the Raiders...but could be wrong.  If he ever wore 18 for the Vikings, as you suggest, it was his short return to the Vikings, which is better forgotten.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

And didn't Randy at one point wear #18 before #84 was available? So shouldn't it be him?

Moss was #18 in his first training camp but switched to #84 before his rookie season started. 

So it has to be Rice. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Krauser said:

Moss was #18 in his first training camp but switched to #84 before his rookie season started. 

So it has to be Rice. 

Correct I was wondering if anyone corrected that. I too would say Rice. So disappointed when we lost him.

• Like 1

Vikings that have worn the number 19:

I would really like to give the nod to someone whose first name is "Yo"!  There are some other interesting names on this list.  I had forgotten that Lance Rentzel played for the Vikings.  He would go onto play for the Cowboys.  Bob Lee had two stints as a backup quarterback for the Vikings.  He was also a pretty gifted punter.  Yes, to the younger readers, once upon at time, kickers and punters were regular football players.  I think the last quarterback I can remember that was also a punter was Dan Pastorini.  Anyway, Lee threw a touchdown pass in Super Bowl IV. 

Troy Williamson was drafted by the Vikings as the heir apparent to Randy Moss.  It did NOT work out.  Bobby Wade went to the same high school my son graduated from.  He was a steady, but unspectacular pro receiver.  Hank Baskett and Devin Aromashodu were retreads.  Adam Thielen gets the nod...by a lot!  Thielen is not only a great receiver but he is also a great story.  Unheralded undrafted free agent out of Mankato, he made the Vikings practice squad.  Many people assumed that's as far as he would go as a pro.  Yet his hard work, dogged determinism, and his ability to catch contested balls has won him many admirers throughout the NFL, including some washed up old pro named Randy Moss.

12 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Lance No Pants was a Viking...?

I wonder if you and I are the only ones to know what this refers to??

Some interesting names, once again, assigned the number 20, including the Vikings franchise very first draft pick, Tommy Mason.  Mason was one of those great college players that just couldn't quite make as big an impact in the NFL.  He might be better known as the man who married US gymnast Cathy Rigby, who is probably better known for playing Peter Pan in the Broadway revival in the 1970's. 

There are some really good starters and role players.  These include cornerbacks Bobby Bryant, Dewayne Washington, Kenny Wright, Chris Cook and Mackensie Alexander; Safeties, Greg Blue and Madieu Williams; and running backs Mason, Darrin Nelson, Robert Smith (who wore the number his rookie season) and Moe Williams.  Out of all of these, I think Bobby Bryant gets my nod.  2nd on the team in interceptions (51) two times All Pro and named one of the 50 greatest Vikings.

22 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think the last quarterback I can remember that was also a punter was Dan Pastorini.  Anyway, Lee threw a touchdown pass in Super Bowl IV. 

Does Tom Tupa count?  :D

And as far as #20, of the players I actually saw play, I have to go with Darrin Nelson...no, he wasn't Marcus Allen, but he had a fine career on his own.  People rip the Vikings far too much for taking him over Allen.  That decision wasn't nearly as egregious as taking Derrick Alexander over Warren Sapp.  But, if you include the ones I didn't see, then it clearly has to be Bobby Bryant, since he played longer than Nelson and actually was an All-Pro player and member of all 4 Super Bowl teams in addition to what VV wrote.