Vikings by the Numbers

I remember thinking we should bench Rhodes in 2014 week 2 vs New England after getting torched by Julian Edelman, even when we didn't have anyone to replace him with. He significantly improved after that game though.

He's #1 for me. I really liked Chester Taylor. My nickname for him when I nicknamed everyone was Chester Cheeto!

Rhodes was decent as a rookie, but Frazier didn’t play him. 

Edelman was a bad matchup for him in 2014 but he was otherwise pretty good that year.

Had a slow start to 2015 (after Sendejo almost killed him in the Chargers game) but once he got his head cleared he was very good. 

2016 and 2017 he was excellent. Dropoff started in the 2017 playoffs: Michael Thomas beat him several times including for that TD on an over route running all the way across the field,  and then he was bad in the Eagles game. 

He had a couple of good moments in 2018 but the last 2 years were pretty bad.

Rhodes was a better player at a more important and difficult position than Chester Taylor, and had 5 good to great seasons. Easy choice for me. 

Vikings that have worn the number 30:

• Bill Brown (1962 - 1974)
  • Issiac Holt (1985 - 1989)
  • Cedric Smith (1990)
  • Keith Henderson (1992)
  • Bobby Phillips (1995)
  • Antonio Banks (1998 - 2000)
  • Travis Prentice (2001)
  • Mewelde Moore (2004 - 2007)
  • Mistral Raymond (2011)
  • Terence Newman (2015)
  • C.J. Ham (2016 - present

Bill Brown all day, everyday!!!!

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

Yes, it'll be Bill Brown...but I still have a "oh, what coulda been" feeling about Ike Holt, before he was put into that 12-person deal that we shall never discuss again.

I am old enough to remember seeing him play.  Very solid player.

9 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Hey, I think we need to discuss the greatness of Mewelde Moore. I always liked him.

I did too. His skillset would fit in well in today's game.

I don't know Bill Brown. I'll have to check him out.

And oh man did I enjoy Terence Newman. I really hope Gladney enjoys a similar career.

Vikings that have worn the number 31:

• Clancy Osborne (1961 - 1962)
  • Darrell Lester (1964)
  • Willie Spencer (1976)
  • Eddie Payton (1980 - 1982)
  • Rick Fenney (1987 - 1991)
  • Eric Everett (1992)
  • Scottie Graham (1993 - 1996)
  • Duane Butler (1997 - 1998)
  • Don Morgan (1999 - 2001)
  • Jason Perry (2002)
  • Rushen Jones (2003 - 2004)
  • Will Hunter (2006)
  • Marcus McCauley (2007)
  • Chris Cook (2010 - 2011)
  • Jerick McKinnon (2014 - 2015)
  • Ameer Abdullah (2018 - Present)

Wow.  Another number that hasn't been worn by a great player in purple and gold.  Eddie Payton, Walter Payton's brother, was a pretty good return man, but made most of his impact as a Detroit Lion.  Rick Fenney was a back up RB and special teams player for his career.  He did help the Washington Huskies win the Rose Bowl during his senior college season.  Duane Butler went on to have a fine career in the CFL.   Marcus McCauley and Chris Cook were two players that just didn't work out.  McKinnon spent two seasons with this number, but was better established with the number 21.  Abdullah is the current bearer of the number.  I am going to give my nod to Abdullah, mainly for the reason that he plays his role as a 3rd down, off speed back pretty well.

My grandfather raved about Eddie Payton (I wasn't quite old enough to be paying attention) and wasn't happy when they let him go.  Both Fenney and Graham (as well as McKinnon to a lesser extent) did their damage as backup RBs.  I'd probably lean McKinnon since he had more attempts as a pseudo-starter while Adrian was out, although Fenney is a little bit behind him for me.  Abdullah isn't even in the conversation for me.