Vikings by the Numbers

4 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Apparently he's fallen off the face of the earth!  He never played with another team after being let go by the Vikings.  Wikipedia has no update as to what he might be doing now.

I follow him on Twitter and it appears that he's also on Instagram (_sideshowbub_)...as of April, he was in Chicago, and the month before he was in Atlanta.  He's not real specific, but he appears to be doing a lot of philanthropy work.

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

whatever happened to Mistral...?

He got hurt in the 2014 preseason, placed on IR, then released. 

Had at least one tryout after that but never played another snap in the NFL, not even in preseason, so I guess he was never offered another contract. Here’s an article from 2015: https://www.bradenton.com/sports/nfl/article34875726.html

At this point, I would give the nod to Osborn by quite a bit more than a whisker but I do agree that Harris has a chance of overtaking him. I don't know if he can do it with just one more good year, but if he is extended and plays for the team a couple years I would be surprised if he didn't become the best 41 in team history. Right now, Harris really only has 1.5 seasons of high level play for the team.

It is good you mentioned the demerits for his time with a division rival. I also give him demerits for his time playing for the Sioux, but that is more of a personal bias. A former Sioux player already it the best #40 so might as well make it two in a row for the Sioux. This can be countered when the Vikings draft Lance and he goes on to be one of the greatest Vikings of any number.

Edited by Cearbhall

Vikings that have worn the number 42:

• John Gilliam (1972 - 1975)
  • D.J. Dozier (1987 - 1990)
  • Harlon Barnett (1995 - 1996)
  • Orlando Thomas (1997 - 2001)
  • Jack Brewer (2002 - 2003)
  • Darren Sharper (2005 - 2008)
  • Jerome Felton (2012 - 2014)
  • Ben Gedeon (2018)

Okay...some interesting names associated with this number.  I am going to eliminate Sharper due to off field criminal behavior.  DJ Dozier was full of potential coming out of the draft, but he didn't live up to it.  Orlando Thomas was an underrated safety and should get some props from us. Jerome Felton only played three seasons with the Vikings but he was a great lead blocker for Adrian Peterson including the season he rusher for over 2,000 yards.  But for me, the nod goes to a smooth as silk receiver, John Gilliam.  He was a deep threat for Tarkenton, and he could run routes with the best.  He is currently one of the "50 Greatest Vikings."

Vikings that have worn the number 43:

• Will Sherman (1961)
  • Gary Hill (1965)
  • Brady Keys (1967)
  • Nate Wright (1971 - 1980)
  • Jeff Colter (1984)
  • Jimmy Smith (1987)
  • Orlando Thomas (1995 - 1996)
  • Greg Briggs (1997 - 1998)
  • Brody Heffner-Liddiard (2001 - 2003)
  • Maurice Hicks (2008)

This contest is between a couple of corners.  Nate Wright and Orlando Thomas.  Wright is most famous (or infamous) for being the CB covering Drew Pearson of the Cowboys during the Hail Mary play against the Vikings in a playoff game December 28, 1975.  Cowboy fans say that Wright fell down, Vikings fans and objective observers say that Pearson pushed Wright and the play should've been nullified by offensive pass interference!  To this day, I can't say Staubach or Pearson without spitting on the ground!  This one play has shaded an otherwise fine career by Wright.

In 1995 Orland Thomas switched jersey numbers and that year led the league in interceptions and went to the pro bowl.  Two feats that Wright never accomplished.  Orlando Thomas gets the nod.

On 7/2/2020 at 12:05 PM, Virginia Viking said:

Vikings that have worn the number 42:

• John Gilliam (1972 - 1975)
  • D.J. Dozier (1987 - 1990)
  • Harlon Barnett (1995 - 1996)
  • Orlando Thomas (1997 - 2001)
  • Jack Brewer (2002 - 2003)
  • Darren Sharper (2005 - 2008)
  • Jerome Felton (2012 - 2014)
  • Ben Gedeon (2018)

Okay...some interesting names associated with this number.  I am going to eliminate Sharper due to off field criminal behavior.  DJ Dozier was full of potential coming out of the draft, but he didn't live up to it.  Orlando Thomas was an underrated safety and should get some props from us. Jerome Felton only played three seasons with the Vikings but he was a great lead blocker for Adrian Peterson including the season he rusher for over 2,000 yards.  But for me, the nod goes to a smooth as silk receiver, John Gilliam.  He was a deep threat for Tarkenton, and he could run routes with the best.  He is currently one of the "50 Greatest Vikings."

I have a Gilliam jersey and I do not have a jersey with any of those other names on it so I have to go with Gilliam. The Gilliam jersey unfortunately isn't the style he would have worn but a newer style with Gilliam stitched on the back as homage to John, the best #42 to ever play for the team. 

On 7/3/2020 at 7:04 AM, Virginia Viking said:

Vikings that have worn the number 43:

• Will Sherman (1961)
  • Gary Hill (1965)
  • Brady Keys (1967)
  • Nate Wright (1971 - 1980)
  • Jeff Colter (1984)
  • Jimmy Smith (1987)
  • Orlando Thomas (1995 - 1996)
  • Greg Briggs (1997 - 1998)
  • Brody Heffner-Liddiard (2001 - 2003)
  • Maurice Hicks (2008)

This contest is between a couple of corners.  Nate Wright and Orlando Thomas.  Wright is most famous (or infamous) for being the CB covering Drew Pearson of the Cowboys during the Hail Mary play against the Vikings in a playoff game December 28, 1975.  Cowboy fans say that Wright fell down, Vikings fans and objective observers say that Pearson pushed Wright and the play should've been nullified by offensive pass interference!  To this day, I can't say Staubach or Pearson without spitting on the ground!  This one play has shaded an otherwise fine career by Wright.

In 1995 Orland Thomas switched jersey numbers and that year led the league in interceptions and went to the pro bowl.  Two feats that Wright never accomplished.  Orlando Thomas gets the nod.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Longevity means more to me than it does to you. A couple years in that number is not enough to overshadow the time Wright spent in number 43.

• Like 1

Vikings that have worn the number 44:

• Billy Gault (1961)
  • George Rose (1964 - 1966)
  • Leo Hayden (1971)
  • Chuck Foreman (1973 - 1979)
  • Walt Williams (1981 - 1982)
  • Dave Casper (1983)
  • John Harris (1986 - 1988)
  • Michael Brim (1989 - 1990)
  • Leroy Hoard (1996 - 1999)
  • Matt Snider (2001)
  • James Wofford (2002)
  • Sean Berton (2004)
  • Thomas Tapeh (2008)
  • Ryan D’Imperio (2011)
  • Matt Asiata (2013 - 2016)
  • Jeff Overbaugh (2017)
  • Mike Boone (2018)

This discussion of the number 44 begins and ends with Chuck Foreman. Considered one of the best pass catching backs in NFL history, Chuck started for the Vikings in three Super Bowls.  In 1973 he was the NFL Rookie of the Year and was elected to 5 pro bowls.  He was All-Pro four times.  He was named as one of the 50 Greatest Vikings in 2010.  If Chuck had a weakness, it was a propensity for fumbling as he held the ball away from his body with one hand...as was the "style" of the day.

Vikings that have worn the number 45:

• Ed Sharockman (1961 - 1972)
  • Pete Athas (1975)
  • Tom Hannon (1977 - 1984)
  • Wayne Wilson (1986)
  • Brett Wilson (1987)
  • Leonard Moore (1987)
  • John Henry Mills (1999)
  • Charles Stackhouse (2003)
  • Sean Berton (2003)
  • Richard Owens (2006)

Let's hear it for an original Viking!  Ed Sharockman played his whole career with the Vikings.  He was on the opening day roster in their very first game as a franchise, and he was a starter for the team that went to Super Bowl IV.  Tom Hannon played safety for the Vikings for 9 seasons.  His highlight was a single recorded interception.  Sharockman gets the nod.