Vikings by the Numbers

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

In a game against the Miami Dolphins in 1972, Larry Csonka circled out into the flat to catch a pass.  Just as he caught the ball, Winston hit him from behind (legally) with such force that the 240 pound Csonka was nearly cut in half.  Csonka dropped the ball and rolled on the field in agony.  He thought his back was broken and he literally crawled off the field...thankfully not hurt seriously. 

First play here:

6 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Agreed, definitely worse than the 40's they allow them to wear now as well.

You young whippersnappers!  40's belong on WR's, RB's and DB's.  50's and 60's belong on LB's, OL's and DL's...While we are at it:

1-6 Kickers/Punters

7-19 Quarterbacks

20-29 WR, RB's, DB's

30-39 RB's, DB's

40-49 RB's, WR's, DB's

50-59 LB's, Centers and Guards

60-69 LB's, Guards, DT's

70-79 OT's, DL

80-89 WR, TE, DL

90-99 DL

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

You young whippersnappers!  40's belong on WR's, RB's and DB's.  50's and 60's belong on LB's, OL's and DL's...While we are at it:

1-6 Kickers/Punters

7-19 Quarterbacks

20-29 WR, RB's, DB's

30-39 RB's, DB's

40-49 RB's, WR's, DB's

50-59 LB's, Centers and Guards

60-69 LB's, Guards, DT's

70-79 OT's, DL

80-89 WR, TE, DL

90-99 DL

disgusted steve carell GIF

• Like 1

15 hours ago, swede700 said:

We need another great QB to wear the #1 jersey...and they should bring back the Double-Aught.  

Other than Moon who was/is the great QB to wear #1?  I can't think of any.  Closest would be Newton, but I'm not ready to say he's great.  NO, QB's should wear no number lower than 7 and no number higher than 19.The 00 jersey number should be reserved for mascots!  When 00 is worn by an offensive lineman and a WR roughly during the same era, it's confusing.  I really hate that WR's are wearing numbers in the teens. Pretty soon, the NFL will be going the way of college football...where DL's and LB's are wearing single digit jerseys.  That's just chaotic.

Vikings that have worn the number 61:

• Larry Bowie (1962 - 1968)
  • Wes Hamilton (1976 - 1984)
  • Mike Turner (1987)
  • Everett Lindsay (1993 - 1998)
  • Lewis Kelly (2001 - 2003)
  • Joe Berger (2011 - 2017)
  • Brett Jones (2019)

Larry Bowie was drafted in the 6th round in 1962 out of Purdue.  He started, as a guard, all 92 games he played as a Viking.  Wes Hamilton was a 3rd round draft choice out of Tulsa that played guard for the Vikings for 9 seasons.  He was a sometime starter but mainly a back up.  He was decent, but not nod worthy. Joe Berger is the quintessential journeyman player making 5 different stops in his career.  His longest stop with any one team was when he played for the Vikings between 2011 to 2017.  He was the kind of lineman that the Vikings have seemed to desire over the last decade or more.  Someone who isn't expensive and can play more than one position along the offensive line.  Berger played some center, but mostly was the starting right guard.  He was often the best lineman on the Viking squad and was recognized in 2015 as a PFF All-Pro.  The nod goes to Joe.

I agree.  I know Wes Hamilton's name, but Berger was often the most reliable, even if not the best OL, during the stretch he was on the Vikings.  He could be counted on, which you couldn't often say during that era, even up until now.  Everett Lindsay was also one of the super subs that the Vikings under Denny was known for.  He was also fairly reliable in a pinch.  

I really hate that WR's are wearing numbers in the teens.

I wasn't a fan of this at first, but it has grown on me.

Pretty soon, the NFL will be going the way of college football...where DL's and LB's are wearing single digit jerseys.

I certainly hope it doesn't go to that extent!

In regards to the WRs wearing numbers in the teens, I'm okay with it, but I think it's gone to somewhat of an overkill.  I think it should still be more of the exception than the rule, but I think it's quickly getting to the point where it seems to be more of the rule and the 80s are the afterthought.

Vikings that have worn the number 62:

• Bob Denton (1961 - 1964)
  • Ed White (1969 - 1977)
  • Brent Boyd (1980 - 1986)
  • Brad White (1987)
  • Chris Foote (1987 - 1990)
  • Jeff Christy (1993 - 1999)
  • Everett Lindsay (2001 - 2003)
  • Ryan Cook (2006 - 2010)
  • Vladimir Ducasse (2014)
  • Nick Easton (2016 - 2017)

To me, this comes down to two names.  Ed White and Jeff Christy.  Ed White is one of the 11 Vikings to play in all four Minnesota Super Bowl appearances.  He also made four trips to the pro bowl during his career.  He was a mauler and a road grader.  Often called the strongest man in football, White also was champion arm wrestler.

Christy was a stalwart, reliable center for the Vikings.  He was elected All-Pro twice.  Smart and physically gifted, Christy anchored the middle of the line for 6 of the 7 seasons he played in Minnesota.  Christy is also on the list of Vikings who had to go elsewhere to get his Super Bowl ring.  Christy and guard Randall McDaniel reunited in Tampa Bay and helped the Buccaneers (along with former Viking QB Brad Johnson) win the Super Bowl.

This is a tough call.  I'm actually going to split the nod.  Both contributed to the success of their Viking squads.  Both played next to exceptional, hall of fame, players (Tinglehoff and McDaniel).  Both ended their careers on other teams.

Jeff Christy was in the middle of a long line (up until recently) of really good centers for the Vikings...from Tingelhoff to Swilley to Lowdermilk to Christy to Birk to Sullivan.  Hopefully, Bradbury will get that back on track.  But, I'll still give it to Ed White since he's a potential HOFer, while Christy is not.  

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Jeff Christy was in the middle of a long line (up until recently) of really good centers for the Vikings...from Tingelhoff to Swilley to Lowdermilk to Christy to Birk to Sullivan.  Hopefully, Bradbury will get that back on track.  But, I'll still give it to Ed White since he's a potential HOFer, while Christy is not.  

Ed might be a potential HOF'er, but the likelihood of him going in are quite small.  First, HOF voters are stingy when voting on offensive linemen.  When they do vote for linemen, they vote for Tackles and Centers.  There are only 8 pure guards in the Hall of Fame.  I don't think Ed ever makes it 9.