Nick's All-NFL Rebuild Draft - Discussion Thread

Nick

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Like, I don't know what's confusing here. If you're going to replace him with a younger player halfway through the stated time frame...why not just take the younger player.

Because the younger player isn’t as good for the first 3-4 years lol. How is this so hard to comprehend? Lol 

so if you can get a pro bowl caliber player for 3 years and then when he starts to decline, eventually replace him with a player who now is in his prime.

Edited by CHOMP_CHOMP

Just now, Blue said:

Like, I don't know what's confusing here. If you're going to replace him with a younger player halfway through the stated time frame...why not just take the younger player.

I don't get why you're confused. Look at your own team. Cameron Jordan will be 31 in July. You're going to tell me you don't plan on putting another younger guy behind him there later? 

• Like 1

Just now, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

Because the younger player isn’t as good for the first 3-4 years lol. How is this so hard to comprehend? Lol 

That goes back to my previous point--we're not drafting for who's better over the next 3-4 years. Saying I don't think it's a great pick doesn't mean I think it's terrible, I just don't believe a 30-year-old linebacker is great value at this point with the other backers on the board.

Just now, NickChowaniec said:

I don't get why you're confused. Look at your own team. Cameron Jordan will be 31 in July. You're going to tell me you don't plan on putting another younger guy behind him there later? 

Sure, but Jordan A) plays a much higher value position, B) has a more durable build relative to his position, C) plays a position that rotates out instead of playing every down, and D) plays a position with greater longevity. I can see Jordan being a starter somewhere at 37, even if he isn't as good as he is now.

I'm also not claiming that was an awesome pick.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Sure, but Jordan A) plays a much higher value position, B) has a more durable build relative to his position, C) sometimes I sniff my own farts  D) plays a position with greater longevity. I can see Jordan being a starter somewhere at 37, even if he isn't as good as he is now.

I think it was a good pick

but if your plan is it have a 37 year old Jordan as they focal point of your defense I think you’re a silly blue idiot. Do you tho

Just now, festiveonion said:

I think it was a good pick

but if your plan is it have a 37 year old Jordan as they focal point of your defense I think you’re a silly blue idiot. Do you tho

Where in the world did I say that? Why would I build around Cam Jordan and not the other three defensive line starters 26 years old and younger?

55 minutes ago, Blue said:

Sure, but Jordan A) plays a much higher value position, B) has a more durable build relative to his position, C) plays a position that rotates out instead of playing every down, and D) plays a position with greater longevity. I can see Jordan being a starter somewhere at 37, even if he isn't as good as he is now.

Please name 1 player who is starting DE at the age of 37 right now? 

6 minutes ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

Please name 1 player who is starting DE at the age of 37 right now? 

He's retired now but Julius Peppers started 13 games from 2017-2018 at 37+ years old. Cam Wake played 9 games last year at 37, even though he didn't start. I was going to bring up Calais Campbell but he's younger than I thought he was.

How many linebackers can you think of that are starting at 37?

Edited by Blue

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

He's retired now but Julius Peppers started 13 games from 2017-2018 at 37+ years old. Cam Wake played 9 games last year at 37, even though he didn't start. I was going to bring up Calais Campbell but he's younger than I thought he was.

How many linebackers can you think of that are starting at 37?

There aren’t!! That’s the point. Lol this is 53 man roster. So yes 7 years count; that doesn’t mean every player has to give you 7 years of production. If you draft youth behind veteran players, then you prepare for the future.... kinda like every NFL franchise. 

1 minute ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

There aren’t!! That’s the point. Lol this is 53 man roster. So yes 7 years count; that doesn’t mean every player has to give you 7 years of production. If you draft youth behind veteran players, then you prepare for the future.... kinda like every NFL franchise. 

I don't disagree with any of that. I'm just saying that taking a 30-year-old linebacker is not a "great" pick, in my opinion, when there are still linebackers on the board who will likely be very good for a longer period of time, meaning you don't have to spend another pick on their replacement as soon. Everybody else needs at least two off-ball linebackers for their base defense, after all; you can't necessarily count on getting a specific younger player. That's a gamble I don't love, which is why I took my linebackers early.

Let me just say I’m very satisfied with my pick of 32 year old Sherman. I also have a plan with that.

I think drafting semi realistic (a few old starters with young backups) and having a legit 7 year plan makes this more fun.

As opposed to just drafting a team of 23 year olds.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Let me just say I’m very satisfied with my pick of 32 year old Sherman. I also have a plan with that.

I think drafting semi realistic (a few old starters with young backups) and having a legit 7 year plan makes this more fun.

As opposed to just drafting a team of 23 year olds.

And I think that was a fine pick, too. I just don't think drafting a 30-year-old linebacker at this point is grounds for going "wow, what an awesome pick" unless you're focusing on a smaller time frame than 7-10 years.

Edited by Blue

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Where in the world did I say that? Why would I build around Cam Jordan and not the other three defensive line starters 26 years old and younger?

It’s tongue in cheek braj lol

I wish you all the success riding 76 year old cyborg meca-Jordan into the annals football history, hoisting the ODELL BECKHAM FREEDOM AND FRIENDSHIP TROPHY after super bowl XCIX

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

It’s tongue in cheek braj lol

I wish you all the success riding 76 year old cyborg meca-Jordan into the annals football history, hoisting the ODELL BECKHAM FREEDOM AND FRIENDSHIP TROPHY after super bowl XCIX

We can just shut this down now then, nobody is beating Mecha Jordan.