Browns General Discussion

candyman93

5 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I really hope everyone is on the same page from the FO to the coaching staff.  I don't watch the Red Zone (or anything that Grossi is a part of for that matter) but my father does, and says that (according to the hack Grossi) Berry is extremely protective of his picks, and demands that they play.  

Who would this even be in reference too? What draft pick is buried on the depth chart in favor of some vet?  

It doesn’t even make sense really, there’s only a few holdovers from the previous regimes and they’re all guys who make up the core of the team and have been extended by the current regime.

Hell Berry was also very high on the totem poles of the last two regimes that brought those guys in as well.

10 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I think specifically Winfrey and Delpit were names mentioned.  Supposedly, Winfrey is an immature turdburglar, and Delpit....well we see week in and week out what he is

I believe both of those guys and JJ3's lack of effort tells me about everything I want to know as well.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I think specifically Winfrey and Delpit were names mentioned.  Supposedly, Winfrey is an immature turdburglar, and Delpit....well we see week in and week out what he is

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2022/11/13/23456753/browns-grant-delpit-perrion-winfrey-discipline

Sounds like Winfrey is absolutely immature and it’s likely why he fell to R4 after everyone everywhere liked him R2.  It’s not a dealbreaker long term, but boundaries need to be set and according to the linked report above it sounds like coaches and teammates both tried to resolve the issue prior to the suspension.

As far as Delpit he’s has plenty of PT and I don’t see anyone else behind him who is any better.  We have 3 box safeties and an unknown in Bell.  I’d like to see what Bell is all about, but I can’t imagine any GM actually having an issue because essentially one immature rookie taken in R4 isn’t getting consistent snaps.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I believe both of those guys and JJ3's lack of effort tells me about everything I want to know as well.

I guess the only defense I could plausibly see for the players as it relates to effort is if they’re constantly being put in bad positions and are simply over it.

Coaches need to be making the game easier, not harder.  If that’s not happening and players feel like they’ve got to beat the opponent and overcome dumb coaching on their end, they’re gonna get discouraged and quit.

52 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I guess the only defense I could plausibly see for the players as it relates to effort is if they’re constantly being put in bad positions and are simply over it.

Coaches need to be making the game easier, not harder.  If that’s not happening and players feel like they’ve got to beat the opponent and overcome dumb coaching on their end, they’re gonna get discouraged and quit.

Which I can 100% understand to a degree. That said, I had basically 1 Cardinal Rule, as do all defensive coaches:

Relentless pursuit of the football

I "get" Myles "quitting" to a degree, but when you're an unblocked DB who has a chance at an open field tackle and you're making a business decision/you give up after being torched, I can't/won't accept that. JJ3 quitting on C gap fits by the goalline is unacceptable. Delpit quit going back to his LSU days when he was beat. I even commented on that in the draft thread at the time.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Which I can 100% understand to a degree. That said, I had basically 1 Cardinal Rule, as do all defensive coaches:

Relentless pursuit of the football

I "get" Myles "quitting" to a degree, but when you're an unblocked DB who has a chance at an open field tackle and you're making a business decision/you give up after being torched, I can't/won't accept that. JJ3 quitting on C gap fits by the goalline is unacceptable. Delpit quit going back to his LSU days when he was beat. I even commented on that in the draft thread at the time.

Oh I’m not making excuses for the lazy plays and business decisions in the open field.  Go make a damned play.  

Maybe I just stopped playing before it became a chore, but I’ll never understand laziness WHEN YOU ARE RIGHT THERE TO MAKE A PLAY.  Like, that’s when your jeans get tight and juices start flowing.  If I’ve had to battle all game for a few shots on a ball carrier, please believe I’m taking my damned shot when I get the chance lol.  Lay out, drop your shoulder, whatever. Make the damned play or at least get beat honestly. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe I just stopped playing before it became a chore, but I’ll never understand laziness WHEN YOU ARE RIGHT THERE TO MAKE A PLAY.  Like, that’s when your jeans get tight and juices start flowing.  If I’ve had to battle all game for a few shots on a ball carrier, please believe I’m taking my damned shot when I get the chance lol.  Lay out, drop your shoulder, whatever. Make the damned play or at least get beat honestly. 

Players who don't do that or get that feeling in my experience play offense. That's actually a running joke on our staff. I fired a kid from defense Day 2 two years ago for doing the opposite of what you described. I jogged over with the kid and informed our OC he was now full time offense because "I can't use him anywhere on defense and this is why."

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Players who don't do that or get that feeling in my experience play offense. That's actually a running joke on our staff. I fired a kid from defense Day 2 two years ago for doing the opposite of what you described. I jogged over with the kid and informed our OC he was now full time offense because "I can't use him anywhere on defense and this is why."

Yeah offense can be more subdued, precise, etc. but defensively you need to have an edge. You have to have guys who play angry, look for contact, etc.  JJIII looking to run around the WR or whatever he was doing on that highlight is a great example.  Run to the ball carrier and light the WR up too if he’s in your way.  Run through the dude.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah offense can be more subdued, precise, etc. but defensively you need to have an edge. You have to have guys who play angry, look for contact, etc.  JJIII looking to run around the WR or whatever he was doing on that highlight is a great example.  Run to the ball carrier and light the WR up too if he’s in your way.  Run through the dude.

While you can't play solely on emotion, I'd argue emotion defensively is borderline a necessity to play effectively. Not many people are wired to explore and initiate aggressive contact or relish that violent opportunity. It's not a dealbreaker on offense, but usually it is on defense unless you're a lockdown corner.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

While you can't play solely on emotion, I'd argue emotion defensively is borderline a necessity to play effectively. Not many people are wired to explore and initiate aggressive contact or relish that violent opportunity. It's not a dealbreaker on offense, but usually it is on defense unless you're a lockdown corner.

I don’t see plays like that as solely emotion though.  That’s a decision you make when you realize the WR has positioned himself between you and the ball carrier next to the sideline.  You’re not gonna get a clean shot on the ball carrier, but you will on the WR which could knock the ball carrier out of bounds or at least limit any cutback/wiggle room.

Christ if nothing else it makes that WR perhaps a bit hesitant to block next time.  

But yeah, hitting and initiating contact are a prerequisite