Browns General Discussion

candyman93

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think the draft is where you hedge your bets to some degree.  Trade back, bring in half a dozen guys in rounds 2-4 every year who can provide solid bottom of the roster depth initially and hopefully develop into starting caliber players as their contract progresses. 

Teams like the Steelers and Ravens have literally been doing this for decades.

Perhaps so, it really depends on your FO and owner. I think you can do both to a degree.

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Without first rounders it’s not easy 

TL;DR

They're going all in on Watson elevating the roster despite some deficiencies, because that's what guys like Mahomes does/did and Matt Stafford did last year.

If he can't, we're stuck until 2026-2027 and will be out of the window of guys like Chubb, Myles, Ward, Cooper, Njoku, and about anyone else that has any type of value on our roster, including our star studded OL.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Adam Thielen released. He's now ironically probably the hottest WR on the market aside from perhaps Jakobi Myers.

He would be good here, but probably not good enough for what he's going to cost. I don't think he's an option I would explore, even though I do think he would be great from the slot position here, flanked by Cooper & DPJ.

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

He would be good here, but probably not good enough for what he's going to cost. I don't think he's an option I would explore, even though I do think he would be great from the slot position here, flanked by Cooper & DPJ.

I'd love to know the "cost", same for Jakobi Myers. I like both in that they provide value in the slot and outside which allows you to be more creative with DPJ, Cooper, and Njoku on a "matchup" standpoint. Both will be possession guys who can move the sticks on third downs and allow your other guys to hit "big plays" from the matchup perspectives.

We need to address the DT, EDGE, and S positions first IMO because we're paying Watson big money to "elevate the rest" which includes our WR corps IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I'd love to know the "cost", same for Jakobi Myers. I like both in that they provide value in the slot and outside which allows you to be more creative with DPJ, Cooper, and Njoku on a "matchup" standpoint. Both will be possession guys who can move the sticks on third downs and allow your other guys to hit "big plays" from the matchup perspectives.

We need to address the DT, EDGE, and S positions first IMO because we're paying Watson big money to "elevate the rest" which includes our WR corps IMO.

I think he is actually gonna get a pretty decent contract, like You said you can get pretty creative with him and I think he is kind of underrated being in NE

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Correct. If we have to surround Watson with a bunch of superstars for him to succeed, then we're screwed until his contract runs out. Just the reality of the situation. We need Watson to be the offense, with how much of the cap is devoted to him. If he's not elite, pack it in, boys.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Lol just saw this 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Correct. If we have to surround Watson with a bunch of superstars for him to succeed, then we're screwed until his contract runs out. Just the reality of the situation. We need Watson to be the offense, with how much of the cap is devoted to him. If he's not elite, pack it in, boys.

I mean, we’ve surrounded him with some stars.  We have Chubb and Bitonio who are elite at their positions.  Teller, Conklin, and Cooper are all perhaps one notch below elite. Njoku is a competent starter.  

We’re not asking him to turn chicken **** into chicken salad here, we’re asking him to turn some chicken **** receivers into somewhat useful in an offense that doesn’t need to rely on the pass game nearly as much as other teams.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

He wants to play for a contender so I’d assume unless he had an amazing relationship with Stefanski that we’re out of consideration. 

A few things:

1. He might have a great relationship with KS given their pasts intertwine

2. I both believe and in no way believe we are contenders, because we are clearly "going all in" and yet also in limbo-land right now.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

A few things:

1. He might have a great relationship with KS given their pasts intertwine

2. I both believe and in no way believe we are contenders, because we are clearly "going all in" and yet also in limbo-land right now.

I also think playing with Watson is a draw for a lot of players, despite our opinions as fans.