Cap numbers

onejayhawk

• 1 month later...

I figured I'd bring this discussion into here.

For the sake of discussion, the Chiefs are currently have 6.2mil in cap space pre-rookie signings per OTC. Rookies should take up approx. 5.8mil, leaving the team with $400,000. Hypothetically, if the cap does drop 40mil we have a lot of moves to make. What do you do?

Cuts (12.8):

Wilson 4.5 (someone needs to step up)

Sorenson 3.8 (hate to do it, but this could be the year)

Reiter 3.4 (Wylie, Williams, or Allegretti starts)

Dam William 2.1 (hate to do it, but cap # vs dead cap makes sense)

Restructures (24.8):

Clark 8.7

Hill 10.2

Hitchens 4.7

Butker 1.2

Those moves get us to 37.6mil. I think the final 2.4 would be "easy" if Schwartz, Mathieu and Kelce all got 2-3 year extensions. Anyone else have any thoughts?

16 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I figured I'd bring this discussion into here.

For the sake of discussion, the Chiefs are currently have 6.2mil in cap space pre-rookie signings per OTC. Rookies should take up approx. 5.8mil, leaving the team with $400,000. Hypothetically, if the cap does drop 40mil we have a lot of moves to make. What do you do?

This would screw up the whole season and more. Not sure how it would work. Massive restructures, some cuts.

Biggest for the Chiefs would be:

Converting Clark's, Jones', Hitchens' and Mathieu's base salaries into signing bonuses. That in principle borrows against future caps. Not sure how it would work out with Mahomes' contract escalating.

Releasing everyone with a cap of more than 2 M$ and no dead money.

Extending Kelce.

The only move I'd like is the last one.

8 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

So with LDT opting out does that open up cap space? Say enough for a guy like Jadeveon Clooney?

Yes and no. It opens up space this year in the form of the difference between his salary and the opt out money, which is $2.6M. But he's now slated to be on the roster in 2021 at a salary of $2.6M. So what we save, we'll want to save for next year. I doubt we use it for anything.

3 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Yes and no. It opens up space this year in the form of the difference between his salary and the opt out money, which is $2.6M. But he's now slated to be on the roster in 2021 at a salary of $2.6M. So what we save, we'll want to save for next year. I doubt we use it for anything.

Agreed. We're going to need any rollover that we can get next year.

51 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I’m thinking one year rental help win a SB kinda thing, nothing long term. 

19 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I’m thinking one year rental help win a SB kinda thing, nothing long term. 

I know, but what I'm saying is, we want to not spend it so we can roll it over and use it next year. It isn't actually gained money. If we use that $2.6M we're effectively costing ourselves in 2021 as a result of the whole situation. The smart play is to just hold the money we were going to use to pay LDT in 2020, and use it to pay him in 2021.

And we will need all the money we can get next year.

On 7/24/2020 at 9:32 PM, Jakuvious said:

I know, but what I'm saying is, we want to not spend it so we can roll it over and use it next year. It isn't actually gained money. If we use that $2.6M we're effectively costing ourselves in 2021 as a result of the whole situation. The smart play is to just hold the money we were going to use to pay LDT in 2020, and use it to pay him in 2021.

And we will need all the money we can get next year.

We’re going for broke though, #runitback

Is the Osemele signing that two mill you were talking about? Or is Osemeles cap hit minimal?

Edited by Chiefer

5 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

We’re going for broke though, #runitback

Is the Osemele signing that two mill you were talking about? Or is Osemeles cap hit minimal?

Don't think the contract info is released, yet. I'm guessing it's vet minimum, though, which would only be like $400k added over the guy he kicks of the top 51.