Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

The Blackhawks only got fined $2 Million for allowing an employee to sexually assault people. For the record, the Devils got fined $3 Million and forfeited two draft picks for circumventing the cap signing Ilya Kovalchuk. Bettman is a clown.

Honestly, he had an opportunity to have his Adam Silver moment, and completely dropped the ball. He should be banning some of these executives/coaches for life. FFS.

That David Stern rumor regarding Bettman seems more and more likely smh.

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Details plz

Now keep in mind this is basically tidbits from podcasts and such, but the rumor is, when the NHL was looking for a commish way back when, Stern heavily advertised Bettman. He spoke to the then head of the board of goveners and called him weekly to make him consider Bettman.

Apparently he thought if he got Bettman the NHL commish job, he would slow the league down enough as to where they wouldn't be a threat to NBA and NBA viewership and growth. Saw Bettman as too timid and played it too safe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Canadian Saint said:

Now keep in mind this is basically tidbits from podcasts and such, but the rumor is, when the NHL was looking for a commish way back when, Stern heavily advertised Bettman. He spoke to the then head of the board of goveners and called him weekly to make him consider Bettman.

Apparently he thought if he got Bettman the NHL commish job, he would slow the league down enough as to where they wouldn't be a threat to NBA and NBA viewership and growth. Saw Bettman as too timid and played it too safe.

Welp, Stern was 100% right. The NHL has borderline flatlined with Bettman as commish.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Welp, Stern was 100% right. The NHL has borderline flatlined with Bettman as commish.

He's such an archaic mind too. Teams rely far too much on gate sales in an era where every other league is making a killing from TV contracts. You'd hope that, albeit about a decade late, this contract with ESPN and Turner does it's job but there's a chance things are too far gone.

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

So far Colorado and Vegas has been fun to watch.  I especially like Colorado . 

Nashville looked real good vs San Jose. 

Colorado and Vegas are both cup contenders. Colorado has a top player in Nathan MacKinnon and one of the best young D-man the league has seen in ages in Cale Maker. They also have a stacked line up.

Vegas is a new expansion team who outsmarted basically the entire league and became a cup contender instantly through smart scouting and trades. There is also a rumor a top young C named Eichel might end up there (how as they are against the cap? No freaking clue).

Nashville is like a budget Tampa Bay Rays. Led by thier only GM, they've constantly produced D-man and NHL players and put a premium on draft and develop. Their track record on producing top D is very good.

9 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Colorado and Vegas are both cup contenders. Colorado has a top player in Nathan MacKinnon and one of the best young D-man the league has seen in ages in Cale Maker. They also have a stacked line up.

Vegas is a new expansion team who outsmarted basically the entire league and became a cup contender instantly through smart scouting and trades. There is also a rumor a top young C named Eichel might end up there (how as they are against the cap? No freaking clue).

Nashville is like a budget Tampa Bay Rays. Led by thier only GM, they've constantly produced D-man and NHL players and put a premium on draft and develop. Their track record on producing top D is very good.

Colorado was real cool to watch. Tough and sharp. 

Living by Buffalo , I’ve heard about the Eichel situation. So basically he wants a certain surgery and the team wants a different surgery ? That sounds like management are d****. 

Nashville looked to my untrained eye as the best yesterday. I couldn’t cheer for them because I’m not a fan of the country vibe, but they looked good. 

The only people that really fit the description from the 2010 IceHogs (20 years old, roughly 6'3" 200+ lbs) are Kyle Beach, David Gilbert and Shawn Lalonde.

I do feel that it's Kyle Beach though. Was always my initial belief.

Edited by beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Isn't he facing his own sexual assault/harassment stuff? It's like people in hockey circles either don't care or are just dumb. I'm gonna go with both though, knowing how this league operates.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/report-wild-gm-guerin-under-investigation-by-us-center-for-safe-sport-231719819.html

lol hockey just doesn't care about optics, man.