Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

Unreal, crazy finish in MN. Jets up 5-4 and hit what looks to be an open net to put it away, but Conner lazily is offsides to nullify the EN. Wild tie it up with less than a minute left, and win it in OT with Ek getting the hat trick/GWG.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 1:58 PM, mattyice0401 said:

Is that his gameplan or were we just getting outplayed? I dont know if you watched the game or not so its an honest question

Because it looks like we just straight up out played and out hustled but if thats his gameplan my god I dont know if i can be a fan the anxiety that came along with it

Didn't look any better tonight vs the Devils. I'm of course going to be patient, but it's getting hard to watch. We've been out-shot in every single game outside of an emotional opening night (where we had 1 more shot). Our prized FA Grubbauer looks very mortal behind a defense that was allegedly the strength of this team but surrenders an unreal amount of open looks. The offense is completely inept. We didn't even get off 20 shots in regulation against the Jackets. 

The lone bring spots so far are Jared McCann and Brandon Tanev. Both look like legitimate long-term pieces. I'm also intrigued by the potential of Morgan Geekie. Very excited to get Yanni Gourde back tonight. I'll maintain patience as these lines continue to gel, but boy, we made the Devils look elite tonight with Bernier in the net a night after getting punked by a mediocre Flyers team. 

I really wish we had kept Vitek Vanecek and saved the cap spent on Grubbauer for leverage elsewhere. I'd love to make a run at Eichel. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Didn't look any better tonight vs the Devils. I'm of course going to be patient, but it's getting hard to watch. We've been out-shot in every single game outside of an emotional opening night (where we had 1 more shot). Our prized FA Grubbauer looks very mortal behind a defense that was allegedly the strength of this team but surrenders an unreal amount of open looks. The offense is completely inept. We didn't even get off 20 shots in regulation against the Jackets. 

The lone bring spots so far are Jared McCann and Brandon Tanev. Both look like legitimate long-term pieces. I'm also intrigued by the potential of Morgan Geekie. Very excited to get Yanni Gourde back tonight. I'll maintain patience as these lines continue to gel, but boy, we made the Devils look elite tonight with Bernier in the net a night after getting punked by a mediocre Flyers team. 

I really wish we had kept Vitek Vanecek and saved the cap spent on Grubbauer for leverage elsewhere. I'd love to make a run at Eichel. 

Yeah were ranked in the bottom like 10 in total shots from what ive heard and were 5 games deep already

I dont know much aboutt Grubs but have been asking myself if he is as advertised an an elite goaltender or if he is more of a product of playing on the Avs and a great team top to bottom, Not too sure how he played as well when he was on the Caps if at all and im not calling him bad by any means but maybe hes a little more pedestrian when hes not on an elite team like the Avs.

Dont get me wrong I like Grubs and hes looked good in times but some of the goals hes given up has made me question a bit

5 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Yeah were ranked in the bottom like 10 in total shots from what ive heard and were 5 games deep already

I dont know much aboutt Grubs but have been asking myself if he is as advertised an an elite goaltender or if he is more of a product of playing on the Avs and a great team top to bottom, Not too sure how he played as well when he was on the Caps if at all and im not calling him bad by any means but maybe hes a little more pedestrian when hes not on an elite team like the Avs.

Dont get me wrong I like Grubs and hes looked good in times but some of the goals hes given up has made me question a bit

Definitely. That said, elite guys like Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck have also struggled to start the season so I'm trying to leave it an open verdict. But to your point, I think it's fair to wonder if Grub was a product of an elite defense in front of him. That was supposed to be the strength of this Kraken team, so I was optimistic it would translate, but the defense looks awful to start the year. Meanwhile Vanecek, who we traded back to the Caps after taking him in the expansion draft, is looking like an absolute stud. That just seems to be the risk you run with signing a goalie from a strong defense (see MAF in Chicago). 

It's already pretty clear this is going from a "would love to make a playoff push" season to a "let's see who's a legitimate building block" season. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Definitely. That said, elite guys like Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck have also struggled to start the season so I'm trying to leave it an open verdict. But to your point, I think it's fair to wonder if Grub was a product of an elite defense in front of him. That was supposed to be the strength of this Kraken team, so I was optimistic it would translate, but the defense looks awful to start the year. Meanwhile Vanecek, who we traded back to the Caps after taking him in the expansion draft, is looking like an absolute stud. That just seems to be the risk you run with signing a goalie from a strong defense (see MAF in Chicago). 

It's already pretty clear this is going from a "would love to make a playoff push" season to a "let's see who's a legitimate building block" season. 

Yeah Its still a very long season with an entire team and organization that didnt have a lot of time to gel so im still being optimistic and dont wanna sound too whinny early on at all If its April and were still struggling defensively then ill start asking questions

I also dont wanna see Hakstol go into his shell AT ALL cut that crap out my god

halfway to worst start of all time

new technique: next game, montreal starts the game with an empty net and hopefully gets a goal with the added strength. then open 2nd and 3rd period same way.

better than just eeking your way through life

Edited by Malfatron

1 minute ago, Forge said:

You'll get there. I have faith

its still fun. thats the beauty. They are in a tough spot, and seeing improvement this year from some key guys is enough. 

Plus, even if Montreal loses, I can still root solidly against TB, Leafs, Bruins, and the Panthers

This is my first year trying to watch hockey. I have no knowledge of the sport at all. 

Im curious about the different types of teams to pick some ( like in football how you can classify teams; defense /offense first , pass first/ run first, west coast offense / down field passing attack ) 

I think I would gravitate to the more aggressive , hard hitting , athletic type