Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

1 hour ago, mattyice0401 said:

Im cool with it. Hopefully he gets traded to a contender, which it sounds like he will.

There were rumors a couple of months ago that this whole drama was about him just getting traded in the OHL. I don't know how accurate that is, but kind of crazy if that is the case. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

There isnt a spot for him this year. Im not too sure who we would bench for him.

Answer is pretty damn easy for me. You bump Wennberg down for him and demote Morgan Geekie.

Wright in the NHL and Geekie as a first line C in the AHL this year is better than Geekie playing 10 minutes on the 4th line and Wright wasting another year in Canadian Juniors.

14 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Answer is pretty damn easy for me. You bump Wennberg down for him and demote Morgan Geekie.

Wright in the NHL and Geekie as a first line C in the AHL this year is better than Geekie playing 10 minutes on the 4th line and Wright wasting another year in Canadian Juniors.

Who would you replace Geekie with on the PK then?

For me its hard to start a 18 year old kid when were locked into a playoff spot as we stand.

Edited by mattyice0401

5 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Who would you replace Geekie with on the PK then?

Between Tanev, Wennberg, Gourde and Beniers (and Donato should injury occur), I think they can figure it out. A player like Morgan Geekie shouldn't ever be a reason for wasting a year of development for a top 5 pick.

Edited by beekay414

17 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Between Tanev, Wennberg, Gourde and Beniers (and Donato should injury occur), I think they can figure it out. A player like Morgan Geekie shouldn't ever be a reason for wasting a year of development for a top 5 pick.

Ehh i dont agree with this. Even the last couple of games Geekie, has been benched for Eeli Tolvanen whos looked pretty good and is already getting PP minutes with 2 pp goals. I think Matty is his replacement. Didnt Mitch Marner go back to the OHL? IIRC,  he did and it worked out well for him. I also think Leon Draisaitl went back to juniors as well, i could easily be wrong with that just trying to go off of memory. My point is its not the end of the world for a 18 year old whos already missed a year of development to go back and play heavy minutes after getting a taste of what the NHL is like.

He can still develop in the OHL. Hopefully the team has pointed out areas in his game he needs to work on he does it when hes in the OHL.

To me, its hard for a coach whos coaching a 2nd year franchise, whos pretty much coaching for his job to trust and start a young kid when were 3rd place in the division with a few games in hand. He will be fine.

The playoff spot is the biggest thing for me, now if we were sitting with like 20-30 points then yeah i agree play him in the NHL and get him is experience.

Edited by mattyice0401

2 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Ehh i dont agree with this. Even the last couple of games Geekie, has been benched for Eeli Tolvanen whos looked pretty good and is already getting PP minutes with 2 pp goals. I think Matty is his replacement. Didnt Mitch Marner go back to the OHL? IIRC,  he did and it worked out well for him. I also think Leon Draisaitl went back to juniors as well, i could easily be wrong with that just trying to go off of memory. My point is its not the end of the world for a 18 year old whos already missed a year of development to go back and play heavy minutes after getting a taste of what the NHL is like.

He can still develop in the OHL. Hopefully the team has pointed out areas in his game he needs to work on he does it when hes in the OHL.

To me, its hard for a coach whos coaching a 2nd year franchise, whos pretty much coaching for his job to trust and start a young kid when were 3rd place in the division with a few games in hand. He will be fine.

Marner went back to a great London development program and Drai got damn near half a season to prove he needed to go back to juniors on a bad Edmonton team. Drai is a similar situation in that he got traded from a bad program to a playoff team but until Kingston actually pulls that trigger and we know where Wright's going, we'll have to hold our opinions, I guess.

For me, the way they handled Wright and the way he played in his AHL time, showed he should've been getting consistent minutes on the big club. And, to be fair on my end, I've said it since last year that Wright had nothing left to prove in the OHL. He needs a role in the NHL and a consistent one. We'll see what happens. I just hate how he's been handled this year. 

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Marner went back to a great London development program and Drai got damn near half a season to prove he needed to go back to juniors on a bad Edmonton team. Drai is a similar situation in that he got traded from a bad program to a playoff team but until Kingston actually pulls that trigger and we know where Wright's going, we'll have to hold our opinions, I guess.

For me, the way they handled Wright and the way he played in his AHL time, showed he should've been getting consistent minutes on the big club. And, to be fair on my end, I've said it since last year that Wright had nothing left to prove in the OHL. He needs a role in the NHL and a consistent one. We'll see what happens. I just hate how he's been handled this year. 

Yeah form what ive heard Kingston isnt great at developing. Sounds like he will get traded but time will tell.  Like i said in the edited portion that the playoff race i think is the biggest factor. Morgan Geekie Ryan Donato or whoever is more trustworthy right now over Shane. 

Time will tell.

1 minute ago, mattyice0401 said:

Yeah form what ive heard Kingston isnt great at developing. Sounds like he will get traded but time will tell.  Like i said in the edited portion that the playoff race i think is the biggest factor. Morgan Geekie Ryan Donato or whoever is more trustworthy right now over Shane. 

Time will tell.

See, this is where we differ and I typically differ from overall hockey coaching principles. Donato and Geekie are more "trustworthy" because rookies and younger players are under microscopes that veterans aren't. I'm a Devils fan. I continually have to watch turds like Erik Haula and Brendan Smith make mistake after mistake and get consistent playing time, in the same playoff race (a much tougher one than the West tbqh), while young players like Kevin Bahl, Alexander Holtz and Fabian Zetterlund are held to standards that Lindy Ruff isn't holding his veterans to. It's just a backassward NHL philosophy. 

Shane Wright is going to be the reason why a team wins the Cup, Morgan Geekie and Ryan Donato are going to be afterthoughts. Yes, these guys have roles on teams but they should never stand in the way of development of superior talent and that's a uniquely hockey problem because too many old timers coach and it bleeds into fanhood reasoning.