Future of TNF on TV

pf9

I guess I'm in the minority but I actually like TNF.  It isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be and I think a lot of fans tend to exaggerate the amount of blowouts/non-competitive games that occur.  I don't think it is any more or less underwhelming than MNF tends to be.  

For example: in 2016, 5 out of 17 games were decided by 7 points or less on MNF.  6 out of 17 games were decided by 7 points or less on TNF (not including opening night; there were also 2 other games that were decided by 8 points).

In 2015, 12 out of 17 games were decided by 7 points or less on MNF.  9 out of 17 games were decided by 7 points or less on TNF.

I just don't see how the product is worse on Thursday, or so much worse that it should be done away with.  I feel like people just go into the games with the expectation that it will be bad.  

5 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I guess I'm in the minority but I actually like TNF.  It isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be and I think a lot of fans tend to exaggerate the amount of blowouts/non-competitive games that occur.  I don't think it is any more or less underwhelming than MNF tends to be.  

For example: in 2016, 5 out of 17 games were decided by 7 points or less on MNF.  6 out of 17 games were decided by 7 points or less on TNF (not including opening night; there were also 2 other games that were decided by 8 points).

In 2015, 12 out of 17 games were decided by 7 points or less on MNF.  9 out of 17 games were decided by 7 points or less on TNF.

I just don't see how the product is worse on Thursday, or so much worse that it should be done away with.  I feel like people just go into the games with the expectation that it will be bad.  

Because it's hypocritical for the NFL to preach player safety, but then have teams play on only four days rest.

There's no reason to have a Thursday night game, teams can't prepare for it.

With Monday's being an off day, they get two "practices", neither of which is full contact I'd imagine, and much less film time.  The result is a bunch of injuries, rushed game plans and a generally awful product.

The NFL is trying too hard. TNF is awful. London games are awful.  Do away with them and keep the 3 time slots on Sunday and one on Monday.  That's enough IMO.

6 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I'm in 100% agreement.

I also think people don't get that even though TNF is a primetime slot, it's obviously not given marquee matchups like SNF and MNF contributing to the games not being as good as people expect of primetime.

I would love to see a slight modification to the season.

Add one more week. 18 weeks instead of 17. No more games, but a 2nd bye. Keep the Thursday games. Teams get 1 "regular" bye and 1 bye they play the Thursday game coming out of the 2nd.

It works for both ends of the argument. On one hand you are giving players an extra week of rest split around and oddly timed game. For the networks, it lets them broadcast more games as well.

Archived