2017 FF Soccer Draft 2017 Voting- Group D

amac

I'm not one of the contestants but I figured I'd still throw my 2 cents in.

1. Tex/Lee
2. Robot
3. Dot

I found this group difficult because all 3 teams have bigger problems than I'd expect in a game like this.

Tex/Lee are playing at least one player out of position and lack a bit of width. I find Robot's defense a bit suspect and was surprised to see Bertrand make a squad in this (but maybe that's because I don't watch Soton games) Dot's central two midfielders and Carrasco would be worries for me.

47 minutes ago, drd23 said:

1. Tex/Lee
2. Robot
3. Dot

I found this group difficult because all 3 teams have bigger problems than I'd expect in a game like this.

Tex/Lee are playing at least one player out of position and lack a bit of width. I find Robot's defense a bit suspect and was surprised to see Bertrand make a squad in this (but maybe that's because I don't watch Soton games) Dot's central two midfielders and Carrasco would be worries for me.

I filled my left back position with my last pick, after one team had already taken two left backs. I'm still waiting for someone to name me 13 left backs in the world better than Ryan Bertrand. (*hint* you won't be able to come up with that many). I'd say Bertrand is easily among the top 7 or 8 left backs in the world. EASILY. It seems to be an unpopular opinion on this forum, but its not to unpopular anywhere else. After Chelsea sold Bertrand we literally couldn't find a replacement for Ashley Cole that was near Bertrand's quality until Marcos Alonso and this summer tons of teams lined up to try and pry him away from Southampton. He's no Alex Sandro or David Alaba, but I'm pretty shocked by how little he's rated on this forum. (seemingly just because he doesn't play for a big club, even though the big clubs want him)

Edit: I'd take Bertrand over Emerson Palmieri, Raphael Guerreiro, and Filipe Luis who were all taken in this draft.

You are severely underrating Filipe Luis.  The player he is for Atletico and Brazil is pretty different to the one that only played a year for Chelsea.

I guess I've either over-estimated the quality of LBs out there or, as I said, I need to watch some Southampton games.  I'd definitely take the following 9 guys in no particular order before Bertrand - Marcelo, Alex Sandro, Benjamin Mendy, Filipe Luis, David Alaba, Jordi Alba, Ricardo Rodriguez, Filipe Luis and Cesar Azpilicueta.  After that I guess Bertrand would be among a group containing Guerriero, Danny Rose, Evra, Monreal, Kolasinac, Kurzawa, Alex Telles and a few others 

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

You are severely underrating Filipe Luis.  The player he is for Atletico and Brazil is pretty different to the one that only played a year for Chelsea.

I guess I've either over-estimated the quality of LBs out there or, as I said, I need to watch some Southampton games.  I'd definitely take the following 9 guys in no particular order before Bertrand - Marcelo, Alex Sandro, Benjamin Mendy, Filipe Luis, David Alaba, Jordi Alba, Ricardo Rodriguez, Filipe Luis and Cesar Azpilicueta.  After that I guess Bertrand would be among a group containing Guerriero, Danny Rose, Evra, Monreal, Kolasinac, Kurzawa, Alex Telles and a few others 

Yeah, good list. I would put Rose, Kurzawa and Monreal in the top list. So, thats 12 left backs. I would have Bertrand around the same level as Ben Davies. Left back is a position thats pretty lacking in world football. 

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

1. Tex/Lee
2. Robot
3. Dot

Who is out of position?

52 minutes ago, kempus said:

Left back is a position thats pretty lacking in world football. 

Yeah.  I had a conversation about it with my housemate in the time between my post and imarobot's response, and that was the conclusion we came up with too. 

Right back is even worse when I think about it.  There's probably only 5 RBs as better than the 10th or 11th LB I can think of

33 minutes ago, drd23 said:

James, and Fabinho kinda is (but I know that he used to play RB)

I don't really understand the James criticism. We're playing him in that Coutinho role and he'll mainly be our distributor and guy who pushes forward through midfield. With Rakitic and Wanyama he won't have that much of a defensive burden. James has played through the middle, albeit slightly more advanced, and I don't think it's really that big of a change to be honest. As for the width problem, we're expecting to switch to a back three while in possession, similar to what Spurs do, and push our fullbacks (who are good wide players) forward to provide width.

@kempusNot really. He played through the middle quite regularly at Southampton. We're expecting our front three to be pretty fluid and he'll most likely be running off the forwards more than dictating play through the middle, where James will ideally step forward. 

This is kind of our plan:

liverpool-4-4-2-diamond.png

liverpool-3-4-3.png

Don't mind the criticism just trying to flesh out what exactly we're trying to do. 

40 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Yeah.  I had a conversation about it with my housemate in the time between my post and imarobot's response, and that was the conclusion we came up with too. 

Right back is even worse when I think about it.  There's probably only 5 RBs as better than the 10th or 11th LB I can think of

Yeah me and Lee had some trouble when it came down to deciding.

We were lucky as Fabinho was a wild card, he's equally adept at CDM or RB, which meant we could get Wanyama late.

44 minutes ago, kempus said:

Mane kind of is too.

The front 3 would be far more fluid than the lineup builder would suggest.

The idea behind the front 3 was to mimic Liverpool's success with Sterling (Mane), Suarez and Sturridge (Icardi)

1 hour ago, kempus said:

Yeah, good list. I would put Rose, Kurzawa and Monreal in the top list. So, thats 12 left backs. I would have Bertrand around the same level as Ben Davies. Left back is a position thats pretty lacking in world football. 

I think it would be better to break it down further tbh, no way Monreal should in the same bracket as Alaba or Sandro.

1 minute ago, texans_uk said:

The front 3 would be far more fluid than the lineup builder would suggest.

The idea behind the front 3 was to mimic Liverpool's success with Sterling (Mane), Suarez and Sturridge (Icardi)

Difficult to animate on a picture, I know. I would just prefer him out wide. So long as he's not actually playing as a CAM.

1 minute ago, kempus said:

Difficult to animate on a picture, I know. I would just prefer him out wide. So long as he's not actually playing as a CAM.

Just think of Raheem Sterling 2013-14, only with better distribution and a far more clinical finisher.

2 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

I think it would be better to break it down further tbh, no way Monreal should in the same bracket as Alaba or Sandro.

Well, there's a top 3 of Sandro, Alaba and Marcelo, imo. Then Alba, Felipe Luis, Mendy, Azpili, Rose. Then the likes of Kurzawa, Rodriguez, Evra, Monreal, Kolasinac. Bertrand is in the next group of guys, imo. Just a very quick assessment. 

Archived