Titans release rookie QB Cole McDonald, signing QB Trevor Siemian

RaidersAreOne

10 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Don't know why you'd keep Logan Woodside over Mcdonald. I get signing Siemian so you have at least one backup QB with some experience, but Mcdonald's upside is much higher than Woodside's IMO.

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/16/titans-mike-vrabel-on-cole-mcdonald-theres-a-lot-of-skill-set-to-like/

Given that this was a fairly recent quote, I'd venture to say that McDonald was either really struggling to grasp the playbook, or broke some sort of team rule. Bringing in Siemian provides veteran depth behind Tannehill, vs not really anything else on the roster that has started.

On 8/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, minutemancl said:

Don't know why you'd keep Logan Woodside over Mcdonald. I get signing Siemian so you have at least one backup QB with some experience, but Mcdonald's upside is much higher than Woodside's IMO.

They were both 7th round draft picks, so both probably carry similar limited upside.  Woodside's year in the offense helps more now in what could be a strange NFL season.  And with a limited camp schedule, McDonald probably showed he isn't anywhere near ready, especially with a staff that hasn't shown the ability to develop a young QB.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

They were both 7th round draft picks, so both probably carry similar limited upside.  Woodside's year in the offense helps more now in what could be a strange NFL season.  And with a limited camp schedule, McDonald probably showed he isn't anywhere near ready, especially with a staff that hasn't shown the ability to develop a young QB.  

Releasing him  now isn't a sign of not being, it's a sign the nfl is too much for him.