Alcohol Thread!

Glen

Redemption 9-Year straight bourbon is the best all around whiskey I’ve had. Perfect high-rye bourbon. Classic American whiskey.

My favorite sipping whiskey though is the Bent Paddle Black malt whiskey from Vikre (Duluth, MN). They use the same mash bill as Bent Paddle’s Black Ale, but distill it and age it in oak to make whiskey. Such a great chocolate, malt/barley flavor. Bad for mixing but superb neat or on ice.

There are very few Minnesotan whiskeys that I really like, but Vikre is superb. Tattersall gets all the attention in Minnesota, and their flavored liquors are fantastic, but my money goes to Vikre for the best gin and whiskey in MN. Flying Dutchman is the only contender to Vikre for best gin. Also fantastic. 

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Did you even try it?

No.  I just put some bourbon in a glass and drank it before the whole egg thing.

But people who want holiday nog don't want some fancy cocktail.  They want eggnog to cover up how boozy their drink is.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Fify.

I'm really not a big eggnog guy tbh.  I drink it when it's there to be drunk.  But otherwise...just gimme the bourbon, skip the egg stuff.

Please don't give me the Rum straight though.  

Even really nice Rums...i just have a hard time sipping, because i OD'd and died as a teenager i think.  Too many Cap Morgain's i think.  The best of the worst times mostly.  

I have no idea why i like rum in eggnog actually.  Makes no sense.

This year's nog is getting fully Bourbon'ed though i guess.  Gonna hit up some cheap Beam or something and pour it in some eggs.

44 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The heck is that?

It's essentially a liquid sugar cookie with some booze in the cup. It was the invention of Jerry Thomas, who's kind of founding father of cocktails, and he only served it when the temp dropped below 20. It's made similar to an eggnog, but just more of everything. 

When I saw it made to Jerry Thomas' original recipe, I almost wouldn't drink it anymore. They started with a dozen eggs, and a 5lb bag of sugar. It's so good though.

59 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

It's essentially a liquid sugar cookie with some booze in the cup. It was the invention of Jerry Thomas, who's kind of founding father of cocktails, and he only served it when the temp dropped below 20. It's made similar to an eggnog, but just more of everything. 

When I saw it made to Jerry Thomas' original recipe, I almost wouldn't drink it anymore. They started with a dozen eggs, and a 5lb bag of sugar. It's so good though.

Gross.

• Like 1